45% Cold Weather Battery Reduction

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
Just at heads up to those living in the northern states.

The other day we had -10F weather and the estimated range of our Mach-E was almost halved compared to this summer.

This all depends on the use of heating and driving style of course, but the cold really takes a lot out of the range.

For that reason I ordered the ER, even as it'll take quite a chunk out of the savings account ;)

Cybermonkey

Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the info on the mach-e cold range, I was hoping for more of a 20%-40% range hit, as I live in Minnesnowta. I haven't been able to find anyone who can answer the question of what kind of heating is in the lightning? And how much of a range hit will I take for the better part of the year?

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Thanks for the info on the mach-e cold range, I was hoping for more of a 20%-40% range hit, as I live in Minnesnowta. I haven't been able to find anyone who can answer the question of what kind of heating is in the lightning? And how much of a range hit will I take for the better part of the year?
For what its worth They use either a heat pump or the heat off the battery and us a refrigerator type compressor for A/C.
I thank I read F 150 Lighting is using the battery heat along with electric seats a and steering wheel .

Cybermonkey

Jul 30, 2021
For what its worth They use either a heat pump or the heat off the battery and us a refrigerator type compressor for A/C.
I thank I read F 150 Lighting is using the battery heat along with electric seats a and steering wheel .
I was kind of hoping it was a heat pump combined with heated seats, and steering wheel for energy efficiency, although I hear that Tesla's heat pumps aren't performing so well up in Canadas' -10° weather

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Just at heads up to those living in the northern states.

The other day we had -10F weather and the estimated range of our Mach-E was almost halved compared to this summer.

This all depends on the use of heating and driving style of course, but the cold really takes a lot out of the range.

For that reason I ordered the ER, even as it'll take quite a chunk out of the savings account ;)
Maybe Ford could sell a battery heater like they do on the ICE's or maybe if it is keeped plugged in during the cold that will keep it wurm

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
I just got a 2022 leaf s plus two weeks ago and the range is not affected that much here in syracuse. when I run the heater the range will go down about 10-12 percent. It has been cold up here too recently

OP
PeterF

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
I dont know what the heating will be like in the F150, but if it is like the Mach-E it is not a heatpump, but basically an electric space heater running off the battery.

The heat coming off the batteries is minimal, especially when its really cold. The Mach-E actually heats up the battery to get better performance when it is cold.

When it's cold outside the car will inform you to keep the car plugged in to optimise battery usage.

Also, I always pre-heat the car when its connected to the grid, to save battery.