Battery Upgrade

FOOLSTER

Jul 3, 2021
Oak Ridge TN
Has anyone thought about upgrading a Lightning Pro to the long range battery pack after the fact? Is the standard battery pack a smaller version of the long range pack? Can you swap the packs? Does the standard range battery version have the space for the larger pack?

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
the packs are the same exact size, but whether you'll be able to simply swap them depends of whether the ER packs will be available - I don't suppose that'll be on the table for many years. They will also be very expensive, so finding one still under a damaged or totaled truck might be elusive.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
The extended range battery has 2 ( I thank) 48 volt battery chargers built in for faster charging. I do not know about the smaller battery. But if you want more range why not just buy the truck with a bigger battery

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
What was said above, but my $.02 is that the aftermarket will come up with a range extender solution that drops in the bed. An auxiliary battery pack. Carrying around an ICE generator seems caveman to me, but I'm sure that will happen in droves.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Their is already a EV mobile charging company that will come out to where you are and charge your EV while you are at work or shopping

Twidget

Jul 16, 2022
Oregon
What I got from the Fleet folks was;, the Extended Range battery could not be retro-fit into a truck built with the standard range battery.

Now, whether that's gospel, I don't know. Need a Corporate Ford EV guy to chime in.

Twidget

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I thought the long standard range battery pack is the same as the long range pack with a few modules missing. That is at least what GM does with the ultium packs. You may not be able to charge as fast by simply adding models, but I would expect to be able to add capacity. At least until they start using LiFePo for SR batteries.