Congress passes infrastructure bill that has EV credits

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
Nice is this the 12,500 dollar one?
No, this infrastructure bill has a $7.5 billion fund for EV charging stations. That fund is probably why Tesla is now considering opening up the supercharger network to all EVs.

The $12,500 EV credit is in the reconciliation bill. That bill will take a while to get worked out.

v2hman

Aug 29, 2021
tucson
No, this infrastructure bill has a $7.5 billion fund for EV charging stations. That fund is probably why Tesla is now considering opening up the supercharger network to all EVs.

The $12,500 EV credit is in the reconciliation bill. That bill will take a while to get worked out.
Can you confirm that credit must be taken in one year (at least if the credit passes as written)?

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO

[CORRECTION] - Erik is correct - after more research there was a you tuber that had reported it incorrectly.

Last edited:

v2hman

Aug 29, 2021
tucson
See this video - it is very thorough.

Thanks! One remaining question: if you don't have a $12,500 tax liability will you get a check from the government for the difference, be allowed to carry the difference forward or none of the above?

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks! One remaining question: if you don't have a $12,500 tax liability will you get a check from the government for the difference, be allowed to carry the difference forward or none of the above?
That is my understanding from the video. Starting 2023, it will be an instant rebate at time of purchase.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
That is my understanding from the video. Starting 2023, it will be an instant rebate at time of purchase.
I believe they rewrote it and now it is not a tax credit. I will be at point of sale. when you buy the truck $12500 will come right off the top of the price you pay for the truck.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I believe they rewrote it and now it is not a tax credit. I will be at point of sale. when you buy the truck $12500 will come right off the top of the price you pay for the truck.
According to the video, the point of sale does not take full effect until 2023, but you get the full credit refund when you file your taxes for tax year 2022 (in 2023)

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
According to the video, the point of sale does not take full effect until 2023, but you get the full credit refund when you file your taxes for tax year 2022 (in 2023)
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I went back and watched the video again and I don't know how I missed that he says it 3 or 4 times. I was so happy about the cap raised to $80,000 that I must have block block out the rest.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
That's not the bill that passed last night. The $12,500 tax credit is in the Build Back Better plan which got stripped back out of the infrastructure bill.
Well I guess a couple of youtubers got it wrong - will have to do some more digging. I saw two videos on it that it passed. But you could be correct.