First equipment doc I've seen

pseudonym

Sep 16, 2021
MA
If the pricing estimates from various source are correct, unless I'm missing something, an XLT is not worth $13,000 more than a Pro.
Completely agreed!

I think the PRO is going to be a sleeper hit and Ford will sell far fewer XLTs than they expect. The PRO with a standard 12 inch console display is "too nice," so it represents a huge value relative to the XLT. PRO standard options include: apple CarPlay, Ford's Sync 4, LED headlamps, power hood, tailgate lift assist, wireless updates, built-in Nav, push button start, Ford pass connect with 4G LTE hotspot capability, pro-power, Co-Pilot360 2.0 with pre-collision assistance, BLIS with Corss-traffic alert, lane-keeping system, auto-high beams, rear-view camera, reverse sensing system, MyKey, tire-pressure monitoring, advance track, etc. It even has the option for the 360 degree cameras. That's a darn nice "work" truck.

So onto the benefits of the $13k base XLT upgrade (which does not include the battery upgrade, mind you): only cloth seats and carpeting, body color matched bumpers, running boards, LED signature hood lighting bar (no tailgate signature lighting in XLT), 360 degree camera, interior work surface and keyless entry. That's hardly worth even $5k, let alone $13k. The base XLT even comes with the same wheels as the PRO!

Given that you can get a complete re-upholstery in leather for about $1,600 from companies like Katzkin (which makes it look OEM, not like seat covers), there's really not much differentiating the PRO and XLT, except....

If you want a bigger battery (300 mile range), it's only available in the XLT trim or better. Therein lies the rub. So it seems like FORD assumes the individual buyer has serious range anxiety. But... the XLT upgrade plus larger battery is nearly $20k more than the PRO. So, you've spent $20k more on a truck that is hardly discernable from the PRO, except that you can drive 70 miles farther before "refueling." After 3.5 hours of driving, I'm ready for a break anyhow.

For my money, I'll take the PRO, which basically seems like a heavily subsidized (or at least very low-margin) early-version aimed at securing fleet conversion rapidly. If Ford and the federal government both want to subsidize my truck purchase and get me into a brand new super crew for $32.5K (after the tax rebate).... I'll say "ok."

rdr854

Oct 19, 2021
Northern Virginia
Completely agreed!

I think the PRO is going to be a sleeper hit and Ford will sell far fewer XLTs than they expect. The PRO with a standard 12 inch console display is "too nice," so it represents a huge value relative to the XLT. PRO standard options include: apple CarPlay, Ford's Sync 4, LED headlamps, power hood, tailgate lift assist, wireless updates, built-in Nav, push button start, Ford pass connect with 4G LTE hotspot capability, pro-power, Co-Pilot360 2.0 with pre-collision assistance, BLIS with Corss-traffic alert, lane-keeping system, auto-high beams, rear-view camera, reverse sensing system, MyKey, tire-pressure monitoring, advance track, etc. It even has the option for the 360 degree cameras. That's a darn nice "work" truck.

So onto the benefits of the $13k base XLT upgrade (which does not include the battery upgrade, mind you): only cloth seats and carpeting, body color matched bumpers, running boards, LED signature hood lighting bar (no tailgate signature lighting in XLT), 360 degree camera, interior work surface and keyless entry. That's hardly worth even $5k, let alone $13k. The base XLT even comes with the same wheels as the PRO!

Given that you can get a complete re-upholstery in leather for about $1,600 from companies like Katzkin (which makes it look OEM, not like seat covers), there's really not much differentiating the PRO and XLT, except....

If you want a bigger battery (300 mile range), it's only available in the XLT trim or better. Therein lies the rub. So it seems like FORD assumes the individual buyer has serious range anxiety. But... the XLT upgrade plus larger battery is nearly $20k more than the PRO. So, you've spent $20k more on a truck that is hardly discernable from the PRO, except that you can drive 70 miles farther before "refueling." After 3.5 hours of driving, I'm ready for a break anyhow.

For my money, I'll take the PRO, which basically seems like a heavily subsidized (or at least very low-margin) early-version aimed at securing fleet conversion rapidly. If Ford and the federal government both want to subsidize my truck purchase and get me into a brand new super crew for $32.5K (after the tax rebate).... I'll say "ok.
I was going to reply, but changed my mind.

rdr854

Oct 19, 2021
Northern Virginia
Thanks. This particular document is new to me and I appreciate you forwarding it. Unlike Mr. Snarky "It is nothing new".
I was not trying to be snarky. I just started a reply and realized that there was no need. Unfortunately, I could not get rid of the reply box snd did not want to leave a reply with nothing written.

I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intent.

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
No offense taken! Maybe I was being a little snarky! Lol! I think we are all getting tired of recycled info without receiving ANY concrete updates or info from Ford!!!

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
If the pricing estimates from various source are correct, unless I'm missing something, an XLT is not worth $13,000 more than a Pro.
Yes, but the 2-way adjustable seats on the Pro makes it a deal-killer for lots of us once you've had 10-way heated seats. Yup. $13,000 seats with some other farkle as a bonus.