Home charging question

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
Hi, I am wondering what I have to do to my home to be ready to charge this in my garage next year. I have a Prius prime that I just plug into a normal wall outlet (110v) and it I would like to get to a level 2 (240V) or higher for the F150 Lightning. I don’t think that I be getting the extended range battery model, but I am not sure yet. Thanks.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
"All Ford F-150 Lightning trucks come with a mobile charging unit equipped with a choice of cords that can plug into either a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet (for 13 miles per charging hour) or a conventional 120-volt outlet (for 3 miles per charging hour)."

Sounds like you will be able to charge the new Lightning right from a 120-volt outlet, but a 240-volt would get you much better charging capabilities. An electrician should be able to come out and easily add a 240-volt plug into your garage as long as you have enough room in your electrical panel to support an additional 30 amp breaker.

OP
T

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
"All Ford F-150 Lightning trucks come with a mobile charging unit equipped with a choice of cords that can plug into either a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet (for 13 miles per charging hour) or a conventional 120-volt outlet (for 3 miles per charging hour)."

Sounds like you will be able to charge the new Lightning right from a 120-volt outlet, but a 240-volt would get you much better charging capabilities. An electrician should be able to come out and easily add a 240-volt plug into your garage as long as you have enough room in your electrical panel to support an additional 30 amp breaker.
dragoon, thank you. That info helps a lot. Especially, the 14-50, the 30 amp and mobile aspects.

Archie

Jun 16, 2021
NY
I think if you put a 30amp breaker with the nema 14-50 outlet you will be severely short charging yourself. The 14-50 plug can accommodate 50 amps. You might as well use 6awg wire and a 50 amp breaker to accommodate the 48amp charger.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
I think if you put a 30amp breaker with the nema 14-50 outlet you will be severely short charging yourself. The 14-50 plug can accommodate 50 amps. You might as well use 6awg wire and a 50 amp breaker to accommodate the 48amp charger.
Yes, you are correct. If the 240-volt charger does indeed max out at 48-volts then you should indeed add a 50-amp breaker and not a 30-amp.

Archie

Jun 16, 2021
NY
What is the proper wire guage? I am sure #6 would be fine since the wall charger is rated at maximum amperage of 48A. BUT technically, the wire is too small. #6 romex is rated at ONLY 55A and by code the wire should be 120% of the max amperage of the circuit which would be 57.6A (48A x 120%). #4 wire is impossible to work with and very expensive, but technically, I think that is really the right wire to use as it is rated at 70A, but I don't think any electrician would use it in this circumstance. What do you think? I already have #6 in my wall, anyway.

Archie

Jun 16, 2021
NY
Also, in my romex (again it is already existing in my wall) the ground is only #10 guage. I called one of the larger manufacturers of EV wall chargers, Chargepoint, and their installation tech support guy (on the phone) said it was no problem, but I am a little concerned despite the fact that that ground is redundant (my #6 is 3 wire plus ground RED, BLACK, WHITE PLUS GROUND). The white wire will serve as both a ground and neutral, I believe. Do I have this right?