My experience with Sunrun

FordGuy

Jun 4, 2022
USA
My husband has a Ford Lightning in production. We chose a model specifically because of the extended range battery. We live in an area that loses power frequently, so we are really excited about backup power capability. Sunrun contacted us on behalf of Ford. They came out to take pictures and see what was need to get our house equipped for the back charging. The local technician that came out was great, but unfortunately the good experience with Sunrun stopped there. We have a moderate 2,000 sqft, house, equipment with solar panels, and 200 amp breaker. The only thing we need from Sunrun is literally the inverter and of course they have to run wires and hookup the inverter to the house. This is costing $9,400. Both my husband and I asked for the price breakdown. The Sunrun representative was very cagey. While they sent us the contract for $9,400 we still haven’t seen a price breakdown. The representative would only say the inverter was around $4,000. I then asked if the remanding $5,400 was labor he, said is was because of the warranty they offered. I called Ford to see if I could buy the inverter through them. After being on the phone for an hour and 6 people later, I was told I could only get it through Sunrun. Every conversation I have had with the Sunrun representative he comes across as arrogant, he even laughed when I said I called Ford. So while we will reluctantly end up going through Sunrun because we have no other options. I think people should be aware that it is a large expense on top of the truck. If Sunrun is charging us $9,400 for a house completely setup I can only image the thousands of dollars they will charge other customers that don’t have solar panels.

Ted000

Jul 12, 2021
Wisconsin
You do not need Sunrun to do the installation. You need to buy the hardware through them but can have an electriction of your choice do the install. Here is the page for ordering the hardware https://aeeexpress.com/crs/storeus/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=0000000664. Warning, I've read on another forum Sunrun will put you at the back of the line for receiving the hardware if they don't do the installation too. They don't seem to have a very good reputation.

Ted

OP
F

FordGuy

Jun 4, 2022
USA
Ted,

Thank you so much for the information and the link. I also really appreciate the warning, at least now we have a couple different options. Based on my interaction with Sunrun I am not surprised they would move people to the back of the line for just buying the hardware. It‘s unfortunate Sunrun is apart of the Ford Lightning proces.

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
Thanks for sharing. It won't take many encounters like this to reflect badly on Ford's emphasis on powering your home with your Lightning. Hopefully Ford shapes them up, because that ability seperates the Lightning from everyone else. .

Mini2nut

Feb 3, 2022
CA
2.5 Yelp stars and tons of 1-star ratings. I don’t understand how Ford got hooked up with this shady operation.

Rtanton

Jul 1, 2021
California
2.5 Yelp stars and tons of 1-star ratings. I don’t understand how Ford got hooked up with this shady operation.

Having several friends that own businesses (that have been rated by Yelp), I would never trust Yelp's reviews as accurate. It is a pay to play organization. They will remove negative reviews for a price and not post positive reviews using the same criteria.

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
My husband has a Ford Lightning in production. We chose a model specifically because of the extended range battery. We live in an area that loses power frequently, so we are really excited about backup power capability. Sunrun contacted us on behalf of Ford. They came out to take pictures and see what was need to get our house equipped for the back charging. The local technician that came out was great, but unfortunately the good experience with Sunrun stopped there. We have a moderate 2,000 sqft, house, equipment with solar panels, and 200 amp breaker. The only thing we need from Sunrun is literally the inverter and of course they have to run wires and hookup the inverter to the house. This is costing $9,400. Both my husband and I asked for the price breakdown. The Sunrun representative was very cagey. While they sent us the contract for $9,400 we still haven’t seen a price breakdown. The representative would only say the inverter was around $4,000. I then asked if the remanding $5,400 was labor he, said is was because of the warranty they offered. I called Ford to see if I could buy the inverter through them. After being on the phone for an hour and 6 people later, I was told I could only get it through Sunrun. Every conversation I have had with the Sunrun representative he comes across as arrogant, he even laughed when I said I called Ford. So while we will reluctantly end up going through Sunrun because we have no other options. I think people should be aware that it is a large expense on top of the truck. If Sunrun is charging us $9,400 for a house completely setup I can only image the thousands of dollars they will charge other customers that don’t have solar panels.
You are making this really easy for me. I have Tesla solar and a battery unit. I really don't need the the back up power. All I was hoping for was the charger. I have a Tesla and a Tesla charger in my garage that provides me with 48 amps of electricity for my tesla. I think what I will do is just share my existing charger or change out my tesla charger and put in the ford charge station pro and and just share it between the two vehicles.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I will probably install a manual transfer switch unless Sunrun starts to improve their service. Hopefully Ford add more partners than only Sunrun.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
You don't need Sunrun any electrician can buy a 4kw inverter, transfer switch and a battery or you can buy them at electrical supply house and wire it yourself or have a electrician do it for you

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
A fairly knowledgeable representative has provided some high level technical information - they are supposed to contact me for an actual install and costs. The tech data:
- The home integration system currently will use the high voltage DC pins of the CCS connector to provide "home backup" power to the SR inverter - this is their concept of "bidirectionality". It appears the SR equipment will not recharge the Lightnings battery via the DC pins (I'd guess no DC based charge controller is part of the SR equipment)
- The J-1772 pins of the CCS connector are for charging only - no bidirectionality on the AC side
- Only one SR inverter can provide "backup". However, additional inverters can be matched to meet total solar inverter requirements - AEE Express was mentioned as a provider working with their installers. This would appear to limit the "backup" power rating - which might require a limited sub-panel design for backup (waiting to talk with an actual installer to understand this better).
- When questioned about a true "microgrid" concept (rather than only the home backup), things got confusing. My interpretation is that a solar system can be designed large enough to charge the Lightning, but only via the "main house panel" - that typically requires to be grid connected. It does not appear that upon grid failure, the Lightning can be charged via the large solar system (AC via J-1772) during high solar and then the lightning's battery used for DC based "backup" during low/no solar, but will certainly ask if that's part of their functionality now or future - and what additional equipment would be required (like substantial "wall" type storage to stabilize?).

CNJKevin

Aug 17, 2021
New Jersey
I have had a wonderful experience with both Sunrun sales and field representatives. If I have solar panels installed, I will pay them a monthly fee for 25 years and expect to see an equivalent or more decrease in my electric bill and the install of the EV bidirectional charging is free. I need to be able to accommodate 8 panels at a minimum to qualify. They will get all permits as well as monitor the equipment/service 24/7 and maintain everything. If I sell the house before 25 years, they will transfer the same terms to the new owner. At the end of 25 years I can buy or have them remove it all.
If I just have them install the bidirectional charging it will be a flat $9200.
I am awaiting final design plans within 7-10 business days.

Last edited:

johnneyonetime

Sep 17, 2021
Deltona
I have had a wonderful experience with both Sunrun sales and field representatives. If I have solar panels installed, I will pay them a monthly fee for 25 years and expect to see an equivalent or more decrease in my electric bill and the install of the EV bidirectional charging is free. I need to be able to accommodate 8 panels at a minimum to qualify. They will get all permits as well as monitor the equipment/service 24/7 and maintain everything. If I sell the house before 25 years, they will transfer the same terms to the new owner. At the end of 25 years I can buy or have them remove it all.
If I just have them install the bidirectional charging it will be a flat $9200.
I am awaiting final design plans within 7-10 business days.
Where are you located and what is the monthly fee?

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas

CNJKevin

Very exciting! Can you post a schematic of your installation that includes the "bidirectional" equipment =>the charge controller, SR inverter and any auxiliary switching devices - and also how your "main panel" is connected and /or modified. Does SR include any modifications to your home main panel (required for the "Pro" charge controller) in the monthly pay.

Appears you might be the first that can tell us about an actual installation of the "home backup" system.