Pro power 2.4kw or 9.6kw

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
Hi all,
I have a base model Pro on order in that I placed on 8/11/22. I am wondering if I should upgrade to the pro power 9.6kw. I plan on using this vehicle as a backup generator for the few times I lose power, which usually only lasts from 2 to 12 hours once a year.
I am not in a hurricane path state. Can I get by with the 2.4kw for powering a frig plus a freeze, a couple of lights and perhaps a space heater or would the upgrade to 9.6kw be advisable?
Also, would altering my order prior to it being in the production phase slow down the process of getting this vehicle?
Thanks.

OP
T

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
I plan on just running high quality extension cords to these items…

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
2.4kw output is akin to 2400/120=20amps of power, about the same as one of your typical outside GFCI outlets in your garage - usually plenty enough to power a fridge/freezer, some fans, some lights, some chargers/laptops, devices, etc., even from a single outlet, although you truck will have no less than 6.

I wouldn't upgrade and have the expense 'just' to have the 240v 30amp outlet in the bed... you'll probably never use it.
7200/120=60amps... which is the same as the 240v 30amp outlet's power maximum.

OP
T

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
2.4kw output is akin to 2400/120=20amps of power, about the same as one of your typical outside GFCI outlets in your garage - usually plenty enough to power a fridge/freezer, some fans, some lights, some chargers/laptops, devices, etc., even from a single outlet, although you truck will have no less than 6.

I wouldn't upgrade and have the expense 'just' to have the 240v 30amp outlet in the bed... you'll probably never use it.
7200/120=60amps... which is the same as the 240v 30amp outlet's power maximum.
Thank you

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
the other part of the argument 'not' to upgrade is simply the advertising that was done to create a fascination for a 'whole house' power source,
when catastrophes happen, etc. It's probably a great 'idea', but most folks don't realize the COST involved in actually making that happen. Simply
using the outlets from the truck will suffice in 99% of situations. I have 9.6kw ProPower on mine, and it works for my 'whole house', though I'll probably
never need it.

fordvideoguy

Oct 9, 2021
Salina, KS
Hi all,
I have a base model Pro on order in that I placed on 8/11/22. I am wondering if I should upgrade to the pro power 9.6kw. I plan on using this vehicle as a backup generator for the few times I lose power, which usually only lasts from 2 to 12 hours once a year.
I am not in a hurricane path state. Can I get by with the 2.4kw for powering a frig plus a freeze, a couple of lights and perhaps a space heater or would the upgrade to 9.6kw be advisable?
Also, would altering my order prior to it being in the production phase slow down the process of getting this vehicle?
Thanks.
You will not receive a 240v outlet unless you have the 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard. That is what most refrigerators and your generator plug would need to be to run your house.

OP
T

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
You will not receive a 240v outlet unless you have the 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard. That is what most refrigerators and your generator plug would need to be to run your house.
refrigerators are usually just regular 110 outlets, same with freezers. The problem I am having now is that if I reconfigure this Pro order they will charge me the new MSRP which went up 5 grand yesterday.
I will live with the 2.4kw system. A frig, freezer (probably alternate those two), a couple of lights and I am good.
thanks

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
coming from the RVing world, with campgrounds not always having the 'full power' you might want, such as 240v 50amp, our large motorhome could still work quite effectively on a simple single 20amp outlet, if that's all they had... and we've used those many times, even running the roof air conditioner and fans and tvs. You have to minimize usage of the microwave at the same time, etc., but that's just what you do when you only have a 20amp outlet. It's still doable, none-the-less.

OP
T

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
coming from the RVing world, with campgrounds not always having the 'full power' you might want, such as 240v 50amp, our large motorhome could still work quite effectively on a simple single 20amp outlet, if that's all they had... and we've used those many times, even running the roof air conditioner and fans and tvs. You have to minimize usage of the microwave at the same time, etc., but that's just what you do when you only have a 20amp outlet. It's still doable, none-the-less.
Thanks