Solar Panel for Lightning Bed?

fordainml

Nov 10, 2021
usa
Can anyone recommend a web site that will be selling accessories for the Lightning (ones that Ford does not sell)?
We are in particular looking for solar panels that would fit over the bed of the truck, so we could charge the batteries while driving (or parked).
Thanks.
best,
Mac

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
Can anyone recommend a web site that will be selling accessories for the Lightning (ones that Ford does not sell)?
We are in particular looking for solar panels that would fit over the bed of the truck, so we could charge the batteries while driving (or parked).
Thanks.
best,
Mac

Welcome to the forum @fordainml - I haven't seen anything like this. Please report back if you do find a good solution!

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
It would not be cost effective even if you had room for for four or more panels. Panel are also heavy. Zamp solar in Bend, Or make an obsidian panel that is lighter than most but again I don't think you get the power you want.

Shadyant

Dec 2, 2021
Florida
Solar panels (today) just won’t have enough production ability to really make any real difference, especially for shorter periods.

We don’t know 100% what the Barry pack size will be but let’s assume 125-150 kwh for the larger extended. (Tesla uses a 100kwh pack on many of their configs)

I have solar on my home and my premium LG panels max peak at 290 watts each (limited by the micro inverter)
This is max production with zero shade and optimal weather conditions
(Temps above 72 actually slightly reduces the production of any panels. 90-100 temps are not great for production even without shade as odd as that might sound)

As mentioned above, panels are not the lightest either.

If memory serves the very first model S had a Solar roof and it only helped run the AC and was eventually removed bc it just wasn’t effective.