2022 Ford F150 Lightning vs 2022 Tesla CyberTruck

Hersbird

Aug 29, 2021
MT
There will be no 2022 Cybertruck. Who knows what the specs will be when/if it ever actually is produced. Might as well be comparing it to the 2025 Ford Lightning redesign because that's probably closer to Tesla's timeline.

El Chorizo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
Austin, TX
There will be no 2022 Cybertruck. Who knows what the specs will be when/if it ever actually is produced. Might as well be comparing it to the 2025 Ford Lightning redesign because that's probably closer to Tesla's timeline.

100% agreed. Elon likes to sell a lot of vaporware. It's too bad because sometimes he really does deliver. SpaceX still amazes me to this day. The things they've accomplished I never thought possible in my lifetime.

OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA

Their factory in Austin is coming up fast. I believe something will be announced during the next earnings call?

Also:
tesla-cybertruck-factory.png

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
It's pretty amazing how fast they have been able to build that Giga Factory! That's a pretty big task before they can start producing Cyber Trucks.

OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
More delays..

According to Reuters' undisclosed sources, the Tesla Cybertruck will enter initial production in early 2023 (by the end of Q1 2023).

The reason for that is, reportedly, changes applied to the original concept, necessary to remain competitive with the other electric plug-in pickups.

"The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment."

The initial production before the end of Q1 2023 means also that the ramp-up will be in 2023. It will be a while after that until we see higher volume then.

OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
New photo of the Cybertruck with possible final dimensions?

Tesla Cybertruck Production Prototype photo.jpg

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
One thing I see similar, the approach to advertising.
Tesla has talked about a $35k car and Cyber truck for years, and never delivered.
Ford made huge headlines and buzz about an affordable $40k pickup, but now that truck may only be 5% of the pickups made for retail customers.
It appears 75% of the actual trucks made in 2022 production will be costing $70-90k for retail sales.
Right out of the Tesla playbook, but at least Ford is making some for those who can afford them.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
One thing I see similar, the approach to advertising.
Tesla has talked about a $35k car and Cyber truck for years, and never delivered.
Ford made huge headlines and buzz about an affordable $40k pickup, but now that truck may only be 5% of the pickups made for retail customers.
It appears 75% of the actual trucks made in 2022 production will be costing $70-90k for retail sales.
Right out of the Tesla playbook, but at least Ford is making some for those who can afford them.
Ford Fleet is selling so well that it can not afford to tie up production on retail.