80-Amp Ford Charge Station Pro - Install home transfer switch

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Does anyone know what the cost will be to install the 80-Amp Ford Charge Station Pro supporting the full home transfer switching?

Any prerequisites to be able to install it.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
That is a hard question because each panel is deference I have 2 200 amp breaker panels where is you panel located and ao on. I do not think you would have to have a transfer switch. If the charge is connected to the one panel you could do it manually. You could go turn off the main breaker and then go to the Ford apps and tell the truck to back feed the house. when the power comes back on tell the truck to stop and turn the main breaker back on. But it is nice having it automatic. My generac transfer switch cost me about $650 plus labor but I installed it myself, Hope this helps

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
That is a hard question because each panel is deference I have 2 200 amp breaker panels where is you panel located and ao on. I do not think you would have to have a transfer switch. If the charge is connected to the one panel you could do it manually. You could go turn off the main breaker and then go to the Ford apps and tell the truck to back feed the house. when the power comes back on tell the truck to stop and turn the main breaker back on. But it is nice having it automatic. My generac transfer switch cost me about $650 plus labor but I installed it myself, Hope this helps
My home was built in the 70's, so I suspect I might need a whole panel replacement; if I end up getting an accepted order, I'll probably do both at the same time. My panel is in the garage, so I think that will be helpful too. Thanks for the reply.

Tony

Sep 20, 2021
Pittsburgh
Manually shutting the main breaker off then activating the emergency supply will not pass code. In fact, if it is found that you do not have a fail safe system, your electric utility may pull your meter.
The main circuit breaker could be accidentally activated while back feeding the system through a transformer. It could cause injury or death to a lineman working on the lines that should be dead.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Manually shutting the main breaker off then activating the emergency supply will not pass code. In fact, if it is found that you do not have a fail safe system, your electric utility may pull your meter.
The main circuit breaker could be accidentally activated while back feeding the system through a transformer. It could cause injury or death to a lineman working on the lines that should be dead.
Yes you are right I looked it up. When we have an outage we all do it but that does not make it right. I know the linmen allway come up and ask if I am running a generator before the fix and through the breaker on the pole.

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
Can the 70 amp Ford charging station just be plugged into a 240 volt (dryer type outlet) with an adapter or must it be wired seperate?

rdr854

Oct 19, 2021
Northern Virginia
Can the 70 amp Ford charging station just be plugged into a 240 volt (dryer type outlet) with an adapter or must it be wired seperate?
I would check with your city or county’s local building department. They should be able to advise you of the building and electrical code requirements.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
No a dryer is 240 volt 30 amp but if you are thinking of getting the extended range battery then the truck will have 2 40 amp chargers built in the truck for a total of 80 amps so you will need a dedicated 100 amp breaker with number 2 wire going to the charger assuming the charger is located next to the breaker box. I do not know of a 70 amp charger. I hope this helps

CondorActual

Oct 30, 2021
Sutton, MA
I'd really like it if Ford would allow us to pre-pay/purchase the charging station when we submit our build spec/order deposit. It can take some time to get a charging station properly installed, and I'd love to be able to drive this truck off of the lot at pickup time and be able to charge at home on day one of delivery. Deliver the charging station first, and knock that part of the cost off of the final price tag when we square up the financing.

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I'd really like it if Ford would allow us to pre-pay/purchase the charging station when we submit our build spec/order deposit. It can take some time to get a charging station properly installed, and I'd love to be able to drive this truck off of the lot at pickup time and be able to charge at home on day one of delivery. Deliver the charging station first, and knock that part of the cost off of the final price tag when we square up the financing.
I agree, would love to check that off the list and have it ready to rock-n-roll! I want to have it installed and ready for use as the backup for power-outages too.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
You can call you local Sunrun dealer. I looked it up for you. Sunrun is the company that Ford has partnered with to install the chargers

• 833-394-3384

Last edited:

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
Great idea (frunk) I don't think Sunrun will give anyone a better rate that a local electrician as Sunrun probably just subs it out.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I am curious whether Sunrun will already have the details to give an estimate. California is switching from NEM 2 to NEM 3 in Spring ‘22. NEM 3 could cost homeowners more than $75 per month in additional fees. If I can get the 80 amp charger installed before NEM 2 expires, will buy it. Otherwise I will just install a manual transfer switch and run a 30 amp cable from the pro power connection in the truck bed.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Does anyone know if Ford has published the manual/install guide for the Charge Station Pro yet?
There is not much to it. You have 2 40 amp chargers built into the extended battery truck the Pro charger is just a terminal block. You will add a 100 amp breaker to your serves panel then run number 3 wire ( depending on how long you are running it ) to the charger box that you are screwing to the wall and that's it if you are not using the truck to power the house. I have not seen anything on installing the transfer switch and inverters.

Last edited:

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
my little girl made me do this but she is over 30 now
facebook_1635809136387_6861080803986507045.jpg

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I thank this is a good video to understand that the so called charger is just an electrical connection. For the on board chargers in the truck.