80-Amp Ford Charge Station Pro - Install home transfer switch

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I thank this is a good video to understand that the so called charger is just an electrical connection. For the on board chargers in the truck.

This video describes one directional EVSEs. Those are easy to install. I currently just plug my EVSE into a dryer outlet, but I will add a new connection for the F150 as my dryer outlet is limited to 30A.

A bi-directional EVSE that automatically switches between the house charging the car or the car powering the house is more complicated.

The easiest implementation would be to have a transfer switch that lets the car power the house during an outage.

Hopefully Ford or Sunrun will provide a way to automatically charge the car when electricity is cheap or when you have access solar power and automatically power the house when electricity is expensive or when the power is out. Hopefully there is also a way to control which circuits are powered depending on battery capacity. For example if the car battery has more than 75% capacity, power all circuits, between 50% and 75% power most circuits, below 50% power only critical circuits, and when there is only enough battery to drive to a DC fast charging, stop powering the house. The car should also be connected so that the solar panels will work during an outage. Most solar installations require some power to activate the inverter in the morning. Depending on your utility contract, you may be able to sell power from the battery back to the grid during peak. Maybe we can even sell capacity as spinning reserve or regulation energy some day.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
This video describes one directional EVSEs. Those are easy to install. I currently just plug my EVSE into a dryer outlet, but I will add a new connection for the F150 as my dryer outlet is limited to 30A.

A bi-directional EVSE that automatically switches between the house charging the car or the car powering the house is more complicated.

The easiest implementation would be to have a transfer switch that lets the car power the house during an outage.

Hopefully Ford or Sunrun will provide a way to automatically charge the car when electricity is cheap or when you have access solar power and automatically power the house when electricity is expensive or when the power is out. Hopefully there is also a way to control which circuits are powered depending on battery capacity. For example if the car battery has more than 75% capacity, power all circuits, between 50% and 75% power most circuits, below 50% power only critical circuits, and when there is only enough battery to drive to a DC fast charging, stop powering the house. The car should also be connected so that the solar panels will work during an outage. Most solar installations require some power to activate the inverter in the morning. Depending on your utility contract, you may be able to sell power from the battery back to the grid during peak. Maybe we can even sell capacity as spinning reserve or regulation energy some day.
I am sorry but you missed my point. I was just saying that the chargers are built into the truck that what the call a charger is a way of getting the electricity to the chargers. I do not believe you will be able auto switch from solar to grid to truck what I have read so far is you will tell the Ford apps what time to charge if you want to pick the cheapest time. Yes the transfer switch can switch between grid and truck or solar and truck but I have never heard of a transfer switch that could switch from solar to grid to truck. But maybe

Jreed

Oct 21, 2021
Los Angeles
I've been working with sunrun for almost a year getting solar panels installed, none of the technicians knew anything about the Ford lightning charging station. One technician did tell me that sunrun are hiring technicians specifically for Ford charging stations. So I would contact sunrun and bug them until you get some answers. Personally I have not had a good experience with sunrun and will not use their services again.

rtw819

Nov 3, 2021
Ohio
I've been working with sunrun for almost a year getting solar panels installed, none of the technicians knew anything about the Ford lightning charging station. One technician did tell me that sunrun are hiring technicians specifically for Ford charging stations. So I would contact sunrun and bug them until you get some answers. Personally I have not had a good experience with sunrun and will not use their services again.
Thanks for the insight, and please let us know if you hear or learn anything?