Can solar charge Lightning battery during grid outage?

Splatt

Aug 26, 2022
Northeast
When the grid is down, sun is out, solar generation exceeds house consumption, can a home's solar PV charge the Lightning's battery to extend back-up power when it is needed? Similar to standard residential energy storage systems.

Appreciate folks connecting me to this information/answer.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
only if you have the right equipment, with 120v or 240v power, such as through an INVERTER. Inverters aren't cheap for moving large amounts of solar power to an EV that's gobbling up constant power. A very large battery bank would also be needed for the inverter to draw from since solar power is not 'constant'.

OP
Splatt

Splatt

Aug 26, 2022
Northeast
only if you have the right equipment, with 120v or 240v power, such as through an INVERTER. Inverters aren't cheap for moving large amounts of solar power to an EV that's gobbling up constant power. A very large battery bank would also be needed for the inverter to draw from since solar power is not 'constant'.
Should have clarified ...with the Charge Station Pro AND Home Integration System.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
I've tried to get a straight answer from Sunrun about how solar can be integrated with the Lightning's home backup system. So far, no clarifications. This thread might help:

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
James - very interesting tests:
As to the Bernie perpetual energy test - maybe turning off the ground check on the OPEN EVSE might allow "perpetual" to work. I've had to do that for various "tests" using my OPEN EVSE.
If you get a solar system at your new place, it would sure be interesting to determine how to get the solar energy to supplement the off-grid use of the Lightning's on-board inverter - and of course the Lightning's battery as storage!
As you likely know, a grid tied inverter wants to "see" infinite availability of energy storage on the grid side, so any limitations on that will likely shut the GT inverter down. With such a large solar system - that might have been the problem?? With some "wall" storage and a grid forming inverter, it might just work - then allowing the lightning to be charged via solar. If that can work, might be a better solution to "home integration" than with Sunrun's 4k inverter system.