Charging your Ford F-150 Lightning. Everything you need to know, directly from Ford!

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Thanks James:
Best information I've seen on building your own home/small business microgrid - using the Lightning's battery! Sunrun will likely outpace the dcbel initiative, which appears to be the only other alternative for combining both solar and EV high voltage DC inputs to the AC home (split phase) inverter. Appears an app based software will be available for both the home backup AND time of use type grid energy optimization. I bought a 2021 Leaf with the goal of building such a microgrid via the CHAdeMO connection - so far no commercial offering. Appears Ford has accomplished this using the CCS connection which seems to be the standard charge connector of the future.

It does appear that the question of battery degradation was not really addressed - at around 11 minutes, the guy skirts that issue by explaining home backup is not really an issue and that they are working through the grid/energy optimization issues that will essentially use the battery continuously when the Lightning is connected.

Overall, IMO, this is a giant leap forward in a true energy "transition". I hope this will wake up other EV manufacturers that will result in the accelerated use of millions of EVs of all types to stabilize our existing grid - and make "room" for more renewables of solar/wind.

Billskee

Jun 1, 2022
Eagle, ID
Anybody been successful in working with SunRun and Ford to get their Charge Station Pro delivered before your Lightening Truck is delivered? My Lariat ER Truck was built the week of 5/2/22. I went on the SunRun site and spent $4K+ on the Home Integration System (HIS) from a 3rd party referred to me by SunRun, AEE Express. Just spent the last 2 hours online and on the phone trying to see if I could get Charge Station Pro from SunRun and just get the "Run Around" from SunRun and Ford. Note SunRun does not serve where I live. SunRun refers me to Ford because I don't have an account with SunRun and Ford refers me SunRun to get/purchase the Charge Station Pro. Around and around I go...

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
The video in MacMike's post does explain the charge station pros' bidirectional capabilities - that AC power is used specifically for charging options and that (high voltage) DC is used specifically for home backup and grid energy discharge options - which will require the Sunrun solar inverter systems. That will seemingly result in the use of the on-board inverter if you want to backup your home generator backup - the discussion in another post . The discussion is around 13:40 minutes. These are assumptions - we know what that meanso_O.

The "another post": https://www.ford-lightning.com/threads/setting-up-your-garage-for-the-charge-station-pro.52/

Combining these posts might make sense if possible.