Setting up your garage for the Charge Station Pro

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY

This article brings up a lot of unanswered questions:

1. I would love to be able to get the base model at 40k and add the 80 amp charge station pro as an option. It would be nice to know if this will be possible and how much it will cost or does one just have to order the extended range battery for another $10,000 to get this standard with those models.

2. Also, and maybe just as important, from the above article it looks one will need a 100-amp circuit. Apparently we would also need a transfer switch to backfill our home’s power supply. “Ford will partner with Sunrun to help with the installation”. anybody have any ideas re the cost of this question?

I would love to get the capability to use this truck as a back up generator but the added costs on top of the base model may make a separate home generator a better financial decision.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
I had a transfer switch installed at my home and in my well pumphouse about this time last year and it ran me $2,600.00. I'm going to guess it would have only been about $2,000 or less if I didn't do the transfer switch in the pumphouse because it was a lot easier to install, a smaller box, and fewer fuses. You will need to pick the circuits in the house you want to run on backup because you usually don't have enough backup power to run everything.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
I have an older house, so I’ll be upgrading my panel. Electrical upgrades will probably run about $2500, but the benefits outweigh the costs.
The nice part is that you can go ahead and do all the nice transfer switch upgrades while they are there bumping up your service.

M3Master

May 22, 2021
Austin, TX
So, assuming I wanted to do this now, what do you tell the electrician that you want exactly? I'm getting the Platinum so I want the bi-directional power transfer function along w/ the best charger I can put in house.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
So, assuming I wanted to do this now, what do you tell the electrician that you want exactly? I'm getting the Platinum so I want the bi-directional power transfer function along w/ the best charger I can put in house.
You want a backup power transfer switch. You will have to identify the circuits in the house that you want to be able to run off backup power. The transfer switch kills power from the main power line to your house so that you don't back-feed power into the electrical system and when the power does come back online you don't fry your backup power source.

M3Master

May 22, 2021
Austin, TX
You want a backup power transfer switch. You will have to identify the circuits in the house that you want to be able to run off backup power. The transfer switch kills power from the main power line to your house so that you don't back-feed power into the electrical system and when the power does come back online you don't fry your backup power source.
Cool. That and then a 100A circuit for the charger? Thanks!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Cool. That and then a 100A circuit for the charger? Thanks!
That's correct. What would be nice is if you could match the 100-amp power plug to match on the transfer switch panel, but typically, I usually see the plugs on the transfer switch panels being a male end that accepts a female power cord from your backup source. Whereas, when you plug in your car to charge that's a female receptacle with a male charger plug. You might need some sort of adaptor, but I'm guessing that Ford has already thought about this and they might offer everything you need with the charger since they are promoting the Lightning as rolling backup power stations???

M3Master

May 22, 2021
Austin, TX
Yea, thats my hope. Hopefully when they release more details in the coming months, it will include specifics on charging equipment and requirements so people can get the process started. Thanks for the info!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Yea, thats my hope. Hopefully when they release more details in the coming months, it will include specifics on charging equipment and requirements so people can get the process started. Thanks for the info!
You and me both!

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
this is how a generac transfer switch is wired I thank it would be the same.
transfer switch.png

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Here's an interesting tidbit from an article I just posted in the news section here.

"Speaking specifically about the Ford F150 Lightning EV, Palmer said that Ford wanted to make electric vehicles more useful than their gasoline-powered predecessors by adding features like bidirectional charging that enable the 2022 F150 Lightning to power a home for up to 10 days without air conditioning or three days with AC being used in the home."

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
It looks like a lot of electric company's are offering rebates to anyone installing a home charging station.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Some may find this Charging booklet helpful. Also they says level 3 cannot be installed in a home the reason for that is because level 3 DC chargers need 3 phase to operate on.

https://cpsenergy.com/content/dam/corporate/en/Documents/Consumer Guide to Electric Vehicle Charging.pdf
Lots of good information there! It depends how close you live to 3 phase electrical lines, but yes, that will be out of the question for most people at home. I thought the electric charging costs versus gas was interesting. I wonder if we will have a period where it actually costs more to charge publically an electric car than to run a gas vehicle as we make this transition from gas to electric and prices fluctuate?

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 6.08.42 AM.png

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I don't know I always though that as we used less gas the price of gas would go up so they could make the same profit but it could go down because the wells are steal pumping and they have no place to put it. I saw on those incentives my electric company Entergy in Texas has a flat rate. I can pay $65 a year and charge as much as i want.

EV Charging Rate Program: CPS Energy offers a rate option for qualified customers for charging EVs. The flat rate option is $60 annually for each EV.

Last edited:

jrueter

Jul 2, 2021
CA
Lots of good information there! It depends how close you live to 3 phase electrical lines, but yes, that will be out of the question for most people at home. I thought the electric charging costs versus gas was interesting. I wonder if we will have a period where it actually costs more to charge publically an electric car than to run a gas vehicle as we make this transition from gas to electric and prices fluctuate?

View attachment 52
obviously a lot of variables in the cost of electricity and gasoline. Where we live we have different electric rates based on the time of day to encourage people to use power during off hours as much as possible.