Cold weather and battery

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I read in eSourcebook before they deleted it that the battery should stay plugged in if temperature is below 50 F or above 90 F. That is because the battery need to pump liquid over the battery to heat or cool it. I guess so the pump won't be running off the battery.

Last edited:

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
Iread in eSourcebook before they deleted it that the battery should stay plugged in if temperature is below 50 F or above 90 F. That is because the battery need to pump liquid over the battery to heat or cool it. I guess so the pump won't be running off the battery.
Goes for the Mach-E as well. When it could outside it’ll prompt you to plug it in when you turn it off.

If not plugged in the car will use the battery to run the pump.

We experienced both the cold and the heat without plugging it in and on the Mach-E it doesn’t drain the battery too much.

But if at home we always plug it in.

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Also it said it should be keep in a garage to keep the temperature from fluctuating.

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
I thought it was a good idea to try and not charge the battery beyond 80 percent too often as that would degrade the battery sooner. Wouldn’t keeping it plugged in (it is below 50 degrees an awful lot up here in the northeast) violate that recommendation? Or is this not an issue with Ford’s current battery cells?
I also have read that you don’t want to go too much below 20 percent. Does anyone here have any information on this? Thanks

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
If you haven't already, watch this video, the section on cell balancing (right at the 5:06 minute mark). The battery is a system, not just a battery. The system sounds as though it is designed to compensate for charging degradation. Although there is likely some degradation, over time, I believe the battery warranty (federally- mandated) is such that it warranties a certain capacity up the the 8-year mark. I think I recall it being 70% of new capacity for the Lightning (someone can correct me).

Given all the above, it might not be so much of an issue to manage, outside the system itself, how much one charges the vehicle's battery.

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I thought it was a good idea to try and not charge the battery beyond 80 percent too often as that would degrade the battery sooner. Wouldn’t keeping it plugged in (it is below 50 degrees an awful lot up here in the northeast) violate that recommendation? Or is this not an issue with Ford’s current battery cells?
I also have read that you don’t want to go too much below 20 percent. Does anyone here have any information on this? Thanks
I believe that you can go in to the aps or on the infotainment system an tell the truck only charge say up to 90% but the truck will steal stay pluged in and can use the wall outlet power to run the pumps.

Timtal

Jun 15, 2021
NY
I believe that you can go in to the aps or on the infotainment system an tell the truck only charge say up to 90% but the truck will steal stay pluged in and can use the wall outlet power to run the pumps.
That makes sense. Thanks

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
That is correct.

If the system is set up like the Mache-E (and I assume it is) you can set up locations of specific charging for those locations.

We always charge the Mach-E to 90% at home (it’s a Level 2 - 240V/40amp charger) That’s what was recommended by Ford when we got it.

If you use a super charging station (for example an Eletrify America station at 150amps) the charging speed will automatically be reduced to a trickle once the battery reaches 80%