Do you like the buying process

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
In a fire side chat the Ford president Jim Farley said they were going to put a lot of pressure on the sales people to get rid of inventory. It cost to much to have it seating on the lot. He wants everyone that wants to buy a new car to have to put in a reservation wait to be invited watch for production date then have it delivered to the customer. Do people like this I hate it I would like to just go pick one out and buy it. I don't want to wait for months on end to get a vehicle.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
In a fire side chat the Ford president Jim Farley said they were going to put a lot of pressure on the sales people to get rid of inventory. It cost to much to have it seating on the lot. He wants everyone that wants to buy a new car to have to put in a reservation wait to be invited watch for production date then have it delivered to the customer. Do people like this I hate it I would like to just go pick one out and buy it. I don't want to wait for months on end to get a vehicle.
I saw that chat too, but I don't think he was saying totally eliminate the 'dealer' process, but instead have an alternate approach where you could buy on-line and even have it delivered to your home. If the process was streamlined and worked, I'd prefer it - not having to deal with a dealership would be awesome. The 'Telsa' way of getting a vehicle.

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
I would definitely like to sit in the actual vehicle I am going to buy. I can drive a demo and read the specifications; but I would like to have hands-on experience with the fit, finish, and quality of the one I am going to spend soooo much money on. I am ready to gamble on a Pro, but passed on a more expensive Lightning and extended my reservation simply because I don't trust Ford with their first attempts. My 2002 F-150 SCrew is still perking along just fine.

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
I don't mind ordering a truck but I don't like the way ford lied to us about reserving a Lightning last year and having to wait 2 years to receive it.

Bill F.

Sep 21, 2021
California
I hate it. I’m supposed to just order it with never seeing one or riding in one? Thats a lot of money to just order it like I’m ordering a pizza. Thanks Ford.

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Idon't like the way we go by the reservation stamp date and time but we don't because the dealer get to move 10 or 15 people in front of you then they only use the stamp date that's at the dealer so if you are at a dealer that has 400 reserves and they happen to have most of the early reservation then you're screwed. If they would go buy the national stamp date and time that would me more fair

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
I would definitely like to sit in the actual vehicle I am going to buy. I can drive a demo and read the specifications; but I would like to have hands-on experience with the fit, finish, and quality of the one I am going to spend soooo much money on. I am ready to gamble on a Pro, but passed on a more expensive Lightning and extended my reservation simply because I don't trust Ford with their first attempts. My 2002 F-150 SCrew is still perking along just fine.
I got one of the earlier Mach-Es and Fors did quite well with those. So I’m actually not tooo worried about Ford messing up the Lightning.

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
Idon't like the way we go by the reservation stamp date and time but we don't because the dealer get to move 10 or 15 people in front of you then they only use the stamp date that's at the dealer so if you are at a dealer that has 400 reserves and they happen to have most of the early reservation then you're screwed. If they would go buy the national stamp date and time that would me more fair
I agree. I think that the reservation time stamp should have been honored to a higher degree - as it was with the Mach-E orders.
I think Ford wanted the Lightning out to All the dealers and that was the reason for Wave 1.
Also I know that mine will be produced later than other’s on this forum, because of the difference in the configurations. I don’t think we’ll ever get around that.

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
I agree. I think that the reservation time stamp should have been honored to a higher degree - as it was with the Mach-E orders.
I think Ford wanted the Lightning out to All the dealers and that was the reason for Wave 1.
Also I know that mine will be produced later than other’s on this forum, because of the difference in the configurations. I don’t think we’ll ever get around that.
I'm not happy about the way the numbering system is being implemented. Americans willing to stand in line and reserve a truck should get the respect they are due... guess I'm old fashioned. I reserved a truck in June (a month after the earliest possible reservation) but people who are willing to splash their cash and didn't put in a reservation at all will get their trucks a year or two before me.

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
I got one of the earlier Mach-Es and Fors did quite well with those. So I’m actually not tooo worried about Ford messing up the Lightning.
The buying process will be fine, even if you don't get to drive the truck until it gets delivered. You will have option of walking away from the purchase if you don't like the truck. There will be 10 people waiting behind you to buy it.

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
The buying process will be fine, even if you don't get to drive the truck until it gets delivered. You will have option of walking away from the purchase if you don't like the truck. There will be 10 people waiting behind you to buy it.
But I’m quite sure I’ll love it 😉

If it (as I’d imagine) handles like a regular F150 and has the EV’s linear and powerful acceleration I can’t see ANY reason to walk away from it.

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
but people who are willing to splash their cash and didn't put in a reservation at all will get their trucks a year or two before me.
I’m not sure if that is possible… unless you think that some dealers will let customers jump the line if they pay a higher MarkUp?

If anyone experiences that… they should reach out to Ford directly.

I know that Ford kicked a few of the dealerships that excessively marked up the Mach-E back in line. And I’d be surprised if Ford would look kindly on people paying to skip the line.

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
I’m not sure if that is possible… unless you think that some dealers will let customers jump the line if they pay a higher MarkUp?

If anyone experiences that… they should reach out to Ford directly.

I know that Ford kicked a few of the dealerships that excessively marked up the Mach-E back in line. And I’d be surprised if Ford would look kindly on people paying to skip the line.
Oh it's not only possible... it's well known that those willing to pay up can get a truck without standing in line.