Flipping Lightning

rckt

Nov 3, 2021
Palm Beach, FL
My dealer told me I will be one of the first to get a Lightning. I've been having 2nd thoughts on a EV. I am thinking of purchasing it then reselling it. Has anyone gave thought of doing this? I am sure a markup of at least 10k. The demand is much higher than the supply will be.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I just think it is not right I would never pay more just so someone could make a little money

OP
R

rckt

Nov 3, 2021
Palm Beach, FL
I just think it is not right I would never pay more just so someone could make a little money
Of course some may feel that way but in a capitalistic society make money while you can bc soon all will be taken away. LGB.

Aj67

Oct 1, 2021
Chicago
My dealer told me I will be one of the first to get a Lightning. I've been having 2nd thoughts on a EV. I am thinking of purchasing it then reselling it. Has anyone gave thought of doing this? I am sure a markup of at least 10k. The demand is much higher than the supply will be.
What exactly are you looking for, validation? Advice on how much to gouge someone, or just bragging that you might get one early? I’m confused about your intentions here…

OP
R

rckt

Nov 3, 2021
Palm Beach, FL
What exactly are you looking for, validation? Advice on how much to gouge someone, or just bragging that you might get one early? I’m confused about your intentions here…
My intention: Has anyone gave thought of doing this, i.e. selling their Lightning?

As to gouging someone, I don't think so. I just sold my Corvette after owning it for 2 years for 10k more than I paid for it to Carmax. It is basic economics unless you believe in Bernie bucks.

Aj67

Oct 1, 2021
Chicago
My intention: Has anyone gave thought of doing this, i.e. selling their Lightning?

As to gouging someone, I don't think so. I just sold my Corvette after owning it for 2 years for 10k more than I paid for it to Carmax. It is basic economics unless you believe in Bernie bucks.
I’m sure you’ll find someone impatient enough to overpay for a pick up truck that will be a dime a dozen within a few years. There was someone on Craigslist trying to flip their early place in line for 5k.

Eric

Oct 27, 2021
Connecticut
My stance all along has been that I want the truck but I dont NEED the truck.. When the time comes that I get mine, if the market is anything like it is for the C8 vettes, itll be very hard not to immediately sell it

OP
R

rckt

Nov 3, 2021
Palm Beach, FL
My stance all along has been that I want the truck but I dont NEED the truck.. When the time comes that I get mine, if the market is anything like it is for the C8 vettes, itll be very hard not to immediately sell it
True, I won't pay over MSRP for any car. On the 2 year wait list for a C8. I think the demand for the Lightning will drive up the price. If Biden bucks (tax credits) of 15k happens, this truck will be a steal.

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
I guess it depends how excited you are when the Lightning finally arrives. I've been waiting on a Bronco for over and year and when I get it, I have no plans on selling even though the market is crazy.

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
Why not. I will purchase it and if I don't like it and can sell a $60,000 truck for $70,000 thats a 15% profit. Who would not consider this?

RickE

Oct 7, 2021
Miami

Agreed. What is the difference if a dealer charges a ADM of $10K over MSRP. If someone is stupid enough to pay the additional $10K then it’s on them.

If I purchase the Lightning toward the end of 2022 and still own it as of December 31st I will be eligible for the tax credit. Then I could sell it for $10K more, there’s a potential $17,500 profit??

Ljames

Sep 14, 2021
Killeen, Texas
I personally am going to get my Lightning and I'm also going to put in an order for the Silverado. If I don't like the Lightning, I will sell it--If I like it, I will keep it. When it comes time for the Silverado EV, I may do the same (only keeping one). If the Silverado truly has over 400 miles range and the Lightning is at 300 miles (even though I think it will have more), it may be a no-brainer. While I've had a Chevy truck for the last 18 years, I'm not a brand snob.