Ford and EV Lily Work Together On Solar Power Hookup For New Lightning F-150 Pickup

Lightning-80-amp-charger.jpeg

Have Some Solar Power With Your New EV​

Way to bury the lede, Mr. Farley. He was referring to two-way EV charging, in which you can charge up your EV battery and drive it somewhere, or you can park it at your house and use it to keep the lights on when the local grid goes down.

So, why not just buy a generator? With climate-related disasters on the increase, everyone is scrambling to buy generators. Much good that will do you when you can’t get fuel for your generator at your house because a bunch of hackers in some country somewhere on the other side of the world managed to monkey wrench an oil pipeline in the USA.

As for generators powered by natural gas, well, generator owners in Texas got a wake-up call earlier this year when a winter storm knocked out the gas infrastructure.

The Sunrun EV charging solution​

With all that in mind, attention is turning to rooftop solar panels as an efficient alternative to fossil-powered emergency generators, and that’s where Sunrun comes in.

Last night, Sunrun announced that Ford has dubbed it with the title of the preferred installer for Ford’s two-way EV battery charging system. Under the name of Ford Intelligent Backup Power, the system includes home energy integration to go with Ford’s 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro home EV charging station.

The new mashup leverages Sunrun’s status as a leading energy services company, meaning that energy storage and other services are also under its wing in addition to throwing down solar panels on your roof.

“Through this partnership, customers will also be provided with the opportunity to install a solar and battery system on their home, enabling them to power their household with clean, affordable energy and charge their F-150 Lightning with the power of the sun,” Sunrun enthused.

“With Ford Intelligent Backup Power, enabled by the available 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home integration system, the F-150 Lightning can serve as a reliable home backup energy source by dispatching power to the home during a power outage event,” the company added.

More

Cybermonkey

Jul 30, 2021
Does anyone know how many panels would be required to power the truck and a 2,000 foot square house in Minnesota with good exposure to sun on the rooftop?
Will Ford be offering package deals with sunrun?
Is it even viable with all the snow, or are they equiped to melt snow away?

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
In the winter in Minnesota you would need a lot of panels. In California my 13 panel 3.38kW system generates on averages about 20kWh/day in the summer and maybe 8kWh/day in the winter. To get 100kWh/day in the winter I would need about 160 panels.

If you have net metering, then it is better to sell your excess solar to the utility during the day and charge your car at night.

v2hman

Aug 29, 2021
tucson

Have Some Solar Power With Your New EV​

Way to bury the lede, Mr. Farley. He was referring to two-way EV charging, in which you can charge up your EV battery and drive it somewhere, or you can park it at your house and use it to keep the lights on when the local grid goes down.

So, why not just buy a generator? With climate-related disasters on the increase, everyone is scrambling to buy generators. Much good that will do you when you can’t get fuel for your generator at your house because a bunch of hackers in some country somewhere on the other side of the world managed to monkey wrench an oil pipeline in the USA.

As for generators powered by natural gas, well, generator owners in Texas got a wake-up call earlier this year when a winter storm knocked out the gas infrastructure.

The Sunrun EV charging solution​

With all that in mind, attention is turning to rooftop solar panels as an efficient alternative to fossil-powered emergency generators, and that’s where Sunrun comes in.

Last night, Sunrun announced that Ford has dubbed it with the title of the preferred installer for Ford’s two-way EV battery charging system. Under the name of Ford Intelligent Backup Power, the system includes home energy integration to go with Ford’s 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro home EV charging station.

The new mashup leverages Sunrun’s status as a leading energy services company, meaning that energy storage and other services are also under its wing in addition to throwing down solar panels on your roof.

“Through this partnership, customers will also be provided with the opportunity to install a solar and battery system on their home, enabling them to power their household with clean, affordable energy and charge their F-150 Lightning with the power of the sun,” Sunrun enthused.

“With Ford Intelligent Backup Power, enabled by the available 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home integration system, the F-150 Lightning can serve as a reliable home backup energy source by dispatching power to the home during a power outage event,” the company added.

More
Looks like the 115,000 of us with reservations more than a few days after the process started aren't going to be the only ones disappointed. Anyone take a look at Sunrun's stock when Ford announced they were only making 15,000 Lightnings next year?

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I have a 10.5kW solar system here in Texas. That comes out to 31 panels for me. I have to get more information but my plan if feasible is to run the house with the Lightning as soon as the sun goes down and then switch to the grid when we retire for the night. Depending on the seasons that would be 4 to 6 hours a night running off the Lightning. If I can do this I'll be selling more energy to the utility company.

Cybermonkey

Jul 30, 2021
I just figured out that sunrun doesn't operate in Minnesota, I understand that people are allowed to installed there own pro charger at home, with a professional electrician of course. So am I left trying to find a electrician that isn't too busy to install this thing for me? Can I even trust a random guy on the side to do this?