Ford Credit Aims to Curb Markups on the F-150 Lightning

Dodob

May 16, 2022
WA
Good article, thanks for the link.

I appreciate Ford's attempt to curb the markups, but it's pretty feeble. They've got more powerful tools at their disposal, if they really wanted to put the foot down. (For example, Subaru was successful in "persuading" their dealers to enter sale orders at MSRP). As the article suggested, the FMC program announcement is more of a shoutout to customers to exercise their common sense and not to pay crazy sh** prices that dealers will undoubtedly conjure up. This isn't going to stop a bunch of people of plunking down the cash (esp those who've got tons of it) and dealers from pocketing it up. For the rest of us, there is no choice, but to wait them out. I for one, can get about 2% APR for 72 month from my CU - which alone would come out to $75 less per monthly payment, or $5400 over the life of the loan (assuming 55K loan for 72 month and using 4.9% for comparison).

Last edited:
OP
PeterF

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
Yes. I can also get way better financing at our CU. Just happy that my dealer has no mark up.

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
Please share your credit unions so we can all try to apply with them if possible. Lowest my cerdit union gives me is 3.29% at 72 months. That's advertised.

Dodob

May 16, 2022
WA
Looks like rates went up across the board since last time I looked and are closer to 3.29% months that you mentioned.

Here are my credit unions rates (for excellent credit):
BECU: 3.49% for 72 months
Patelco: 2.99% for 72 months, 3.49% for 84 months (Patelco also covers 140% financing - should be enough to cover them markups :)).

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I tryed that with my CU and the interest went up a lot. They said it was now a used car. one day old

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
Good article, thanks for the link.

I appreciate Ford's attempt to curb the markups, but it's pretty feeble. They've got more powerful tools at their disposal, if they really wanted to put the foot down. (For example, Subaru was successful in "persuading" their dealers to enter sale orders at MSRP). As the article suggested, the FMC program announcement is more of a shoutout to customers to exercise their common sense and not to pay crazy sh** prices that dealers will undoubtedly conjure up. This isn't going to stop a bunch of people of plunking down the cash (esp those who've got tons of it) and dealers from pocketing it up. For the rest of us, there is no choice, but to wait them out. I for one, can get about 2% APR for 72 month from my CU - which alone would come out to $75 less per monthly payment, or $5400 over the life of the loan (assuming 55K loan for 72 month and using 4.9% for comparison).
Please share your CU. That is a great rate