Gas Vs EV on towing

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Man, I watched this and frankly was shocked. I knew it would be less range, but I never thought it would be only 100 miles. Makes me question whether I should move forward with the purchase. I just love everything else, but I don't think I will like ever having to tow anything for a very long distance.

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Man, I watched this and frankly was shocked. I knew it would be less range, but I never thought it would be only 100 miles. Makes me question whether I should move forward with the purchase. I just love everything else, but I don't think I will like ever having to tow anything for a very long distance.
Think about it . How often do you tow and how often do you tow more than 100 miles and is your trailer that big

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Think about it . How often do you tow and how often do you tow more than 100 miles and is your trailer that big
Not that much, but when I do tow, it would be painful to have to stop every 100 miles. I realize this was a big (block) trailer. I'm interested in seeing their test results with a lighter travel trailer that most people might tow with a 1/2 ton truck. But, for the price of this Lariat, you can get a fully loaded Hybrid or even a really loaded F250, just say'n. It is something you have to consider. I'm wondering if I should wait until the technology is there to have a 500 mile range truck. Not sure yet.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
there will ALWAYS be reasons to wait, even for the next 'better' F250... there's no way to predict the next revolution of a product, good or bad... you have to sometimes just choose what you have in front of you.

johnneyonetime

Sep 17, 2021
Deltona
there will ALWAYS be reasons to wait, even for the next 'better' F250... there's no way to predict the next revolution of a product, good or bad... you have to sometimes just choose what you have in front of you.
I retired in February, plan is to tow a travel trailer from FL to points unknown. 100 miles at a time is concerning, but I’m not waiting for perfect 😎

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
The truck must have be new. it was only showing 280 miles when he first charged it. So it had not learned how far it could go or it would have said 320 mile. Then he put in the number for the trailer. I don't think that was a good test.

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
I was not that surprised by the result of their towing test, you double the air drag with a typical travel trailer, and their test trailer would have air drag similar to a 5th wheel. A test with a small teardrop trailer would be interesting and provide more data. Physically the Lightning has the torque to tow, but just not enough energy aboard. I just read about electric school buses and their range with a battery twice the size of the Lightning.

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
This gets back to the "trip extender". It would be a great add-on to be able to have aux power supply in the bed, either gasoline powered, or just more battery capacity. I would be glad to have 8" less bed depth if there was an option for an additional battery on top of the existing one.