Great Electrical Safety Video from Munro and Associates

Kstype

Jan 22, 2022
Pennsylvania
Sandy has - as usual - another great video but this time focused on the safety concerns related to home charging equipment and electrical components:

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
It looked like to me that they've simply gone over some basics when it comes to any electrical install. I understand that EVs carry a much greater and Constant draw of amperage, but the basics remain the same: make sure connections are tight.

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
It looked like to me that they've simply gone over some basics when it comes to any electrical install. I understand that EVs carry a much greater and Constant draw of amperage, but the basics remain the same: make sure connections are tight.
I think it is more than that. It is a cautionary tale that existing products, commonly used in residential and commercial applications, may not be sufficient for EV use - although the specs might appear that they are (e.g , voltage, current and frequency ratings match). I was particularly interested in the discussion about stacking beakers. It is common to stack breakers, even high-current ones, in a panel. But, with near 100% duty cycle use of the high-current EV charges, heat dissipation takes on greater importance. Additionally, the point made to mount the equipment on fire-rated walls was not something I would have considered. I guess the point is that EV charging installations are not business as usual. Homeowners need to pay attention and self-educate so that they know what questions to ask of an installer. It sounds like the mistakes being made are being made by professionals, too, not just DIYers.

Steve

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
there can be many daily stories about breakers melting and outlet connections burning, but those are also likely not EV charging situation, they're just everyday happening around the country, and as few of them as there are.
I just think the whole idea that somehow an EV's charging somehow changes the way the basics of everyday electricity and electrical wiring works, is inaccurate. Yes, the idea that untight connections is something that an EV's constant high draw can bring to light is true, but to lament the basic NEMA 14-50 outlet and 50amp 240v double pole breaker is somehow 'insufficient' in light of today's EV needs is overkill.

How the connection is wired and tightened is the ultimate 'test'. If you take care of both of those, 'who' manufacturers the product, and 'where' it comes from, is not the issue.