How does a $12,500 tax credit for a new EV sound? Or $2,500 for a used one?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Lightning-Pro-tax-credit.jpeg

Multiple bills in Congress could help the average Joe get into an EV

The 13-year-old Plug-in Electric Drive Tax Credit for fully electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles has been given a number of potential overhauls in Congress as part of larger spending bills. As it stands, the current tax credit maxes out at $7,500, which means certain EV and PHEV buyers can reduce their tax burden if they owe the federal government that amount or more. If the buyer only owes the government $2,000, then $2,000 is the credit they get for the EV — the buyer doesn't get a $5,500 tax refund check. Furthermore, the credit begins a quarterly phase-out for automakers that have sold 200,000 qualifying vehicles. GM, counted as one automaker instead of having its brands considered separately, has passed the threshold, as has Tesla. These provisions reward only those who make enough to owe the government money, arguably punish the most popular electric vehicle makers for selling more units, and only apply to new cars. Two rewritten tax credits inching through both houses of Congress want to change all of that.

Two new credits were introduced earlier this year in the House of Representatives as part of the Growing Renewable Energy and Efficiency Now (GREEN) Act, one that would apply to new EVs and one applying to used EVs. It lowered the maximum credit for new EVs to $7,000, but raised the OEM sales eligibility quota to 600,000 units. It also offered a $2,500 tax credit on used EVs that were at least two years old at the time of sale. That effort didn't get far.

But two senators picked up those threads and reworked them for inclusion into a climate and clean energy bill called the Clean Energy for America Act. This version of the tax credits retained incentives for new and used cars, changing almost everything else on the new vehicle side. What's new is that the credit maxes out at $12,500 if other qualifications are met; there's the $7,500 base credit available now, plus another $2,500 available if the EV is manufactured in the United States, and another $2,500 available if that manufacturing plant uses unionized labor or is represented by a union. This provision throws out the 200,000-unit cap. Instead, the discounts don't start phasing out until EVs and PHEVs account for 50% of annual U.S. light-duty vehicle sales. Last year, that figure was 4.2% of the market.

Finally, the credit for new vehicles can't be applied to an EV that costs more than $80,000 — the current version doesn't set a limit — and it cannot be worth more than 30% of the vehicle's value. Perhaps the biggest change is that this will be a refundable credit against taxes owed. If a vehicle qualifies for the full $12.500 credit but the buyer only owes $1,500 in federal taxes, the buyer gets a refund check for $11,000.

For used vehicles, the credit provides the $2,500 incentive for EVs at least two years old. The bill passed a Senate Finance Committee vote along party lines, 14 Democrats in favor and 14 Republicans against. Since it's part of that larger bill that will need a lot of wrangling to pass, and the bill contains cuts to fossil fuel tax incentives that displease many members of Congress, we're a long way from knowing if these tax credits will pass as written.

That's why, separately, a senator and a representative introduced the Affordable EVs for Working Families Act at the end of July. This freestanding measure focuses only on used EVs. It keeps the $2,500 credit for EVs that are at least two years old and cost no more than $25,000, and is only available to independent shoppers, not dealers. Such buyers would only be allowed to take advantage of the credit once every three years, and the credit declines for buyers whose adjusted gross income is greater than $75,000 individually or $150,00 for joint filers. The Working Families Act has a better chance of passing than the above measure because it wouldn't need to wait for a larger, more contentious bill to pass, and several states already offer such incentives for used EVs.

Source

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I sure hope that happens I am going to keep my Lariat premium below $80'000 just in case. I,m glad you found this Dragoon.

M3Master

May 22, 2021
Austin, TX
That 80k cap hurts me. Til now I had only considered the Platinum. But if there is an 80k cap(I've seen there also might be a 100k income cap), then that sucks balls.

Last edited:

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I believe it is $75'000 per individual and $ 150'000 filing jointly. I was going for the Platinum to but this works just go with the Lariat fully loaded and save $10'000 plus the $12500. That works for me I don't need extra speaker and real wood for that price

M3Master

May 22, 2021
Austin, TX
I believe it is $75'000 per individual and $ 150'000 filing jointly. I was going for the Platinum to but this works just go with the Lariat fully loaded and save $10'000 plus the $12500. That works for me I don't need extra speaker and real wood for that price
I'd wager a good bit of people exceed that. We are fortunate enough to be in that boat...but with two kids in college it certainly doesn't seem like it. lol

loughtonsmith

Jun 24, 2021
Cedar Rapids, IA
I wonder what they’ll have up their sleeves for small business buyers. That base model will be a good work truck for those who don’t need or want all of the options in the higher priced models.

ke4d

Sep 15, 2021
Kb4ffo
I'd wager a good bit of people exceed that. We are fortunate enough to be in that boat...but with two kids in college it certainly doesn't seem like it. lol
I exceeded that when I was working but I have been retired for 20 years. I now long have a tax liability so the current rebate does me no good at all. So, having worked all my life, paid a bundle in taxes and retiring early, penalizes me. Nor do I think the current proposal re: union built cars is even constitutional thousands of Americans work at Tesla, Toyota Bmw plants in the US. They deserve to jump on the EV train too.

GOFAST

Oct 19, 2021
Annapolis, MD
Just annoyed that Ford seems to be waiting until after this passes or fails to publish official pricing. Won’t surprise me if they are hoping to add money to the MSRP of Lariat and Platinum models knowing folks may spring for a more expensive model if the incentive is approved. Not surprising official prices were only provided for lower end models.

Don weller

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Is there any sort of deadline for this infrastructure plan or can they take another year to try and pass it?

Don weller

Is there any sort of deadline for this infrastructure plan or can they take another year to try and pass it?
The sooner they pass it the better, the longer it takes the harder it will be to pass it. Manchin seems to be the fly 🪰 in the oinment. He could sink the whole BBB bill. If it doesn't pass as a point of sale rebate, in is my opinion it will hurt EV sales across the board.

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
As much as I would benefit from the additional EV credit, I would likely suffer, as a whole, for the BBB to pass, as it is. Either Manchin will be convinced to go along (be bribed/coerced) or he will not go along (stand fast on his principles, if that is what is driving him) or a new version of the BBB will be drafted that might have a chance at passing - but, no guarantees the enhanced EV credits would be in a new one. It's very myopic to only be in support of the BBB because of the EV credit (because of one's own self-interest). If one believes that BBB is best for the country/world/mankind, then I can understand the disappointment. But, I wouldn't categorize it as one person being a "fly in the ointment." There are 50 others in the Senate committed to not vote for it and 213 in the House that did not vote for the bill.

Would I like to see an enhanced EV credit be in a bill that gets passed? For selfish reasons, yes...but not at any cost.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
As much as I would benefit from the additional EV credit, I would likely suffer, as a whole, for the BBB to pass, as it is. Either Manchin will be convinced to go along (be bribed/coerced) or he will not go along (stand fast on his principles, if that is what is driving him) or a new version of the BBB will be drafted that might have a chance at passing - but, no guarantees the enhanced EV credits would be in a new one. It's very myopic to only be in support of the BBB because of the EV credit (because of one's own self-interest). If one believes that BBB is best for the country/world/mankind, then I can understand the disappointment. But, I wouldn't categorize it as one person being a "fly in the ointment." There are 50 others in the Senate committed to not vote for it and 213 in the House that did not vote for the bill.

Would I like to see an enhanced EV credit be in a bill that gets passed? For selfish reasons, yes...but not at any cost.
Well put, I selfishly wanted it for reducing the cost of a F-150 Lightning, but the BBB was a massive spending bill that would just further cause inflation and expand the national debt to even higher levels.