Lightning Light bar

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Looks fantastic! Do you happen to know what tint % was used?
I was pleased to hear they have a special tint that is made for lights. It's black but still lets most of the light through. After seeing how dark it was on the truck I was skeptical that light would actually shine through, but it does.

It's definitely not as bright as it was without the tint, but a fair amount of light does come through. t It's important to note that the light bar is really for appearance, it's not designed to light up the road or improve your night vision; that's the headlight's job. Therefore, reducing the amount of light that can pass through doesn't present a safety hazard.

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
I like it! Mine coming in AntiMatter Blue and you are right it does stand out more on the darker colors. Please provide as many details as you can so I can check with my local window tinters (who will apply front window tint on my Lightning) to see if they can apply the tint that you had done. Thanks, Walt

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I like it! Mine coming in AntiMatter Blue and you are right it does stand out more on the darker colors. Please provide as many details as you can so I can check with my local window tinters (who will apply front window tint on my Lightning) to see if they can apply the tint that you had done. Thanks, Walt
I am sorry that is all the information that I have

Downs08

Sep 27, 2022
Upstate SC
I had two different tint/vinyl shops look at the light bar and both refused to even attempt it. They said that they couldn’t wrap the tint on the inside where it meets the headlight without it puckering. They both recommended having it sprayed instead.

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
Having it sprayed makes more sense to me. I can not imagine being able to properly wrap around all those curves and corners. This is not a flat piece of glass obviously!

OP
F

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Having it sprayed makes more sense to me. I can not imagine being able to properly wrap around all those curves and corners. This is not a flat piece of glass obviously!
The one the guy did in that article had it wraped on the outside and I wondered just how long that would last.

Downs08

Sep 27, 2022
Upstate SC
I’m having mine sprayed this week along with having the grill color matched to the truck. I’ll post pics when I get it back Friday evening.

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
Look forward to seeing how the Light Bar comes out. Might be a little hesitant on painting the grill as I suspect it will be a bug and rock chip collector but look forward to seeing how it comes out and how it lasts down the road. Thanks, Walt

Downs08

Sep 27, 2022
Upstate SC
1B5D0402-1D19-4194-8E8A-CB56F54999B2.jpeg
0BD865AF-C152-4EA3-9FE6-F3691FE84736.jpeg

I like the way it turned out but they put too many coats of tinted clear on the light bar. Now the light just barely shows through at night. I’m going to see if they can lightly sand a layer or two off and clear coat it again.

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
What part was used on the grill? Horizontal Aluminum finished part? Looks really good. Thought you were having grill painted? Thx, Walt

Downs08

Sep 27, 2022
Upstate SC
What part was used on the grill? Horizontal Aluminum finished part? Looks really good. Thought you were having grill painted? Thx, Walt
That is paint, it’s the same color as the truck. The wavy sections were painted gloss black.

Last edited:

wwise

Jun 27, 2021
Conroe, Texas
That is very reasonable I would say. I used to do paint and body work many years ago. Most folks don't realize that the cost of paint and materials has skyrocketed. Let us know how the lightbar turns out and if they are able to correct the too dark tint. Thx, Walt

MR Fiso

Nov 26, 2023
Washington State
OMG. That is exactly the kind of thing I want to do. Sort of 'stealth' the truck so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in a truck heavy community. I bought it as a truck, not a conversation starter.

I was worried that it may affect any sensors. But then, I have not researched where they really are.