Lightning vs Rivian R1T

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
rivian-vs-lightning.jpg

Is there anyone cross shopping the Lightning and the Rivian R1T? How do you think the trucks compare?

thunderstruck

Staff member
May 22, 2021
Texas
With deliveries for the R1T slated for next month, we'll get to learn more about it as youtubers are able to get there hands on them. With not much of a track record to go by, I expect there to be problems with the R1T at launch.

Bruno McMinnis

Jun 21, 2021
Detroit Area
View attachment 4

Is there anyone cross shopping the Lightning and the Rivian R1T? How do you think the trucks compare?
I super hate the Rivian front end. Wouldn’t consider owning one. That said, I’m still not sold on the Lightning grill. Personally I’d like more texture. Also the blue oval has always struck me as archaic. I find myself daydreaming about how I could replace the oval with something else, anything else. Something like the Raptor front would be welcome

OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
KBB.com just posted an article comparing the two trucks. https://www.kbb.com/comparison/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-vs-2021-rivian-r1t/

Here's a quick breakdown of the price:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

• Base Dual Motor AWD Work Truck: $39,974
  • XLT Dual Motor AWD XLT: $52,974 (a $6,700 premium over a gas XLT 4×4)
  • Lariat Dual Motor AWD: Est. $58,630 (based on $6,700 premium over a gas Lariat 4×4)
  • Platinum Dual Motor AWD: Est. $69,500 (based on $6,700 premium over a gas Platinum 4×4)
  • Top Trim: $90,474 (based on top price given by Ford)
  • Eligible for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit

2021 Rivian R1T

• Explorer Package: $67,500
  • Launch Edition: $73,000 (sold out)
  • Adventure Package: $73,000
  • Eligible for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit

Ford F-150 Lightning Advantages

The Ford F-150 Lightning is more of a traditional pickup, as seen in its approach of offering a base work truck and then higher trim levels for personal use. While the payload and towing capabilities are what you’d expect from a pickup, regularly carrying cargo or towing trailers will greatly impact range and performance. As a result, don’t expect an electric F-150 to replace gas or diesel trucks.

However, the advantage of the F-150 as a power source expands its functionality as a work truck. Ford touts the Lightning as an “Intelligent Backup Power” system, serving as a backup battery. It can provide full-home power for up to three days on a full charge. Also, the 21 external charge points and 11 outlets will make the truck an ideal power source on job sites.

Rivian R1T Advantages

Rivian is looking to break new ground in the pickup market, leveraging its 4-motor electric drivetrain and the off-road capability of its truck. Its innovative approach to space utilization, especially with its Gear Tunnel and multiple lockable storage areas, will make the Rivian R1T a good backwoods companion. It also offers a modern yet more conventional take on the pickup, which may prove to be an asset in attracting those put off by the Tesla Cybertruck’s polarizing design.

4gfirstmax

Jul 24, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I currently own a 1985 Toyota with 7ish” of lift (via 63” Chevy 1500 rear springs, and stock [plus add-a-leaf] rears up front), crossover high steering, and oversized tires. It has capability well beyond almost any vehicle , yet I find myself using less than half, no matter where I go… No doubt my yota will/ would drag the Lightning through the toughest of trails, but it doesn’t have any, and I mean any of the creature comforts afforded by any late model offerings, regardless of trim level.

While the Rivian in riveting, I have apparently outgrown most of its allure. My interest and needs have shifted to a more practical center, and the Lightning has way more to offer in this regard.

I have accepted that I’m old. While the Lightning will never be as off-road capable as my Yota, or as fun to drive as my swapped Forester 5-speed, it WILL BE a perfect middle ground.

Last edited:

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
With deliveries for the R1T slated for next month, we'll get to learn more about it as youtubers are able to get there hands on them. With not much of a track record to go by, I expect there to be problems with the R1T at launch.
Problems with the Rivian at launch should be along the same lines as the Mustang Mach-E. The MME problems are mostly software related with a few hardware problems. The Rivian prototypes have been tested mostly as off road adventure vehicles. In that regard they have had 2 prototypes do a 13,000 mile trip from Argentina to LA for the tv series "Long Way Up". They also had a Rivian in the 2020 Rebelle Rally.

Attachments

• harley-davidson-livewire-rivian-r1t-are-a-match-made-in-heaven-for-road-trips-148197_1.jpg
    harley-davidson-livewire-rivian-r1t-are-a-match-made-in-heaven-for-road-trips-148197_1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 622
  • long3.jpg
    long3.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 640
OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
Motortrend just released a new "first drive" video on the Rivian.. Looks pretty good!

2022 Rivian R1T First Drive​

2022 Rivian R1T Interior Review​

Hersbird

Aug 29, 2021
MT
I think the Rivian is better on paper money no object, but when you factor in price and who has proven they can build fine trucks then the Ford is better.

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
I super hate the Rivian front end. Wouldn’t consider owning one. That said, I’m still not sold on the Lightning grill. Personally I’d like more texture. Also the blue oval has always struck me as archaic. I find myself daydreaming about how I could replace the oval with something else, anything else. Something like the Raptor front would be welcome
I would suspect that there are already aftermarket vendors looking at ways to design a more traditional grill for the lightning considering the revenue that thus truck will bring in. I wouldn't mind seeing something with chrome finish.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I would suspect that there are already aftermarket vendors looking at ways to design a more traditional grill for the lightning considering the revenue that thus truck will bring in. I wouldn't mind seeing something with chrome finish.
I totally agree. I like my chrome grill and bumpers That is why i took me to the 3rd day to reserve one I did not like the painted chrome bumpers and the grill is painted flat black on all but the platinum.

GOFAST

Oct 19, 2021
Annapolis, MD
Rivian is sized between a midsize (Ranger) and full size (F-150) truck. For those looking at the Pro and XLT trims, it seems like the F-150 is better suited for the buyer.

For those looking at the Lariat and above trims and may not need as large of a bed, the Rivian starts to become a direct competitor and even becomes a better value (based on unofficial pricing and range) as the Rivian comes standard with Lariat level options and 314 mile range.

Personally, I think Ford is waiting to see what legislation gets passed on the tax incentive before publishing pricing for upper trims and allowing customers to begin ordering. If the tax incentive increases to $12,500, there will be more orders made for more expensive trucks and Ford is holding out to maximize profit, especially when the profit margin is likely low for Pro model Lightnings.

For customers who were on the fence about the bigger battery or next trim level up, a $5K difference in tax incentive closes the gap.

Wanderoften

Nov 20, 2021
Vermont
Rivian held my interest initially but the impractical bed length really turned me away. Also, while I’m sure the performance will be excellent, I didn’t like the complexity of the suspension system and Ford really got the usability right with the lower-height frunk. Ease of finding service was a huge factor Rivian buyers don’t seem to concern themselves with much. It’s a brand new manufacturer producing a very complex new vehicle with no established service centers. That’s a lot of faith to put into a new vendor. Ford service centers can be found all over the US and they already have the infrastructure to support the vehicle.

Shadyant

Dec 2, 2021
Florida
I thought the biggest difference was Ford Lightning is a full size pickup, Rivian on the other hand is along the lines of a Ford Ranger... so it wouldn't work for someone that wants a full size pickup...
This is exactly my primary issue with the Rivian (aside from the huge price difference)
I have a 2019 Ranger now and must have a full size next. Rivian is not a full size and the bed is 55.1 inch vs the 66” on the Lightning. Not at all going to work for me.

OP
wired

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA

"The R1T’s range drops from the EPA estimates of 314 miles (505 km) to 135 miles (217) just by switching to Towing mode on the central screen. Going up to the highest point of the stretch was a 97 miles (156 km) drive, which left the R1T with a 24-mile estimated range."

This definitely would rule out the R1T as a tow vehicle for me.