My experience buying my dealer's mannequin appears to have been authorized for a while

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Today's NYT article about the Lightening (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/13/...es-battery-factory-georgia.html?smid=em-share) contained a link to a March 26 article in Tflcar (https://tflcar.com/2021/03/ford-dealers-bronco-sport-mannequin-program-news/) about authorization to sell the showroom floor display unit. My path to a Lightening appears less rare than I first thought.

To be clear, I do not have title; I have a purchase order and have placed a nonrefundable deposit. The dealer continues to display the truck until January, when I will fulfill the PO by paying the rest of the price (MSRP). The dealer has committed to putting no more than 300 mi. on the mannequin.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Had a similar chance in Houston, TX dealership, but pricing was ~$120k and the color was not my taste at all. Did not get into the "mannequin" thing:). Hope it all works out.

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Had a similar chance in Houston, TX dealership, but pricing was ~$120k and the color was not my taste at all. Did not get into the "mannequin" thing:). Hope it all works out.
I was blown away when the dealer said that I could have it for MSRP. It was the exact same build (& color!) that I had uploaded -- extended range, Lariat w/max tow pkg. I missed the 200k cutoff so my "build" really didn't entitle me to anything except being harassed by salespeople😉. I feel very fortunate. There is very little DC fast charging where I live. I'm hoping some gets installed while my truck is at the dealership.

I have an unusual situation. I've been generating 25% more electrons than I use from our PV array for 15 years. For the first ten, I got a check from the utility for the excess generation (net metering). Once that expired, the power company is "storing" my excess production. So when I charge my EVs @ home, I'm using electrons I've already generated.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
I'm interested in how you will set up your home charging - especially with a rather large PV system available. Does your extended range Lariat have the dual on-board chargers that can be used with the charge station pro? It seems this will allow up to ~19 kW AC charging which allows essentially full recharge of the large battery overnight - and to use up your excess quickly!

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
I'm interested in how you will set up your home charging - especially with a rather large PV system available. Does your extended range Lariat have the dual on-board chargers that can be used with the charge station pro? It seems this will allow up to ~19 kW AC charging which allows essentially full recharge of the large battery overnight - and to use up your excess quickly!
At first I am just going to plug it into the same 220v outlet that I use to juice up our Tesla. That produces about 16 mi of charge per hour in that vehicle. I expect a similar rate with the Lightening. If that is not fast enough , I may have an electrician instal a new circuit at a higher voltage. I have no use for the V2G functionality at present, but think it is a cool feature. We enjoy very few outages and have no need for onsite storage at present.