My experience buying my dealer's mannequin appears to have been authorized for a while

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Today's NYT article about the Lightening (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/13/...es-battery-factory-georgia.html?smid=em-share) contained a link to a March 26 article in Tflcar (https://tflcar.com/2021/03/ford-dealers-bronco-sport-mannequin-program-news/) about authorization to sell the showroom floor display unit. My path to a Lightening appears less rare than I first thought.

To be clear, I do not have title; I have a purchase order and have placed a nonrefundable deposit. The dealer continues to display the truck until January, when I will fulfill the PO by paying the rest of the price (MSRP). The dealer has committed to putting no more than 300 mi. on the mannequin.

Had a similar chance in Houston, TX dealership, but pricing was ~$120k and the color was not my taste at all. Did not get into the "mannequin" thing:). Hope it all works out.

Had a similar chance in Houston, TX dealership, but pricing was ~$120k and the color was not my taste at all. Did not get into the "mannequin" thing:). Hope it all works out.
I was blown away when the dealer said that I could have it for MSRP. It was the exact same build (& color!) that I had uploaded -- extended range, Lariat w/max tow pkg. I missed the 200k cutoff so my "build" really didn't entitle me to anything except being harassed by salespeople😉. I feel very fortunate. There is very little DC fast charging where I live. I'm hoping some gets installed while my truck is at the dealership.

I have an unusual situation. I've been generating 25% more electrons than I use from our PV array for 15 years. For the first ten, I got a check from the utility for the excess generation (net metering). Once that expired, the power company is "storing" my excess production. So when I charge my EVs @ home, I'm using electrons I've already generated.

I'm interested in how you will set up your home charging - especially with a rather large PV system available. Does your extended range Lariat have the dual on-board chargers that can be used with the charge station pro? It seems this will allow up to ~19 kW AC charging which allows essentially full recharge of the large battery overnight - and to use up your excess quickly!

I'm interested in how you will set up your home charging - especially with a rather large PV system available. Does your extended range Lariat have the dual on-board chargers that can be used with the charge station pro? It seems this will allow up to ~19 kW AC charging which allows essentially full recharge of the large battery overnight - and to use up your excess quickly!
At first I am just going to plug it into the same 220v outlet that I use to juice up our Tesla. That produces about 16 mi of charge per hour in that vehicle. I expect a similar rate with the Lightening. If that is not fast enough , I may have an electrician instal a new circuit at a higher voltage. I have no use for the V2G functionality at present, but think it is a cool feature. We enjoy very few outages and have no need for onsite storage at present.

Back