My order & delivery update

Lightning-Lab

Feb 15, 2022
Annapolis
Was at dealer buying Out my lease.

Dealer lightning is an xlt with a build week of 4/11.

My order: build week 4/18, mnfg day 4/22, delivery is stated as early May. They had no information on charger being available before truck delivery. My insurance company couldn’t quote me because VIN’s don’t yet show in their system. Lariat xr, white.
I’m pulling 130’ of wire next week so I’m prepared for charge station and will only need to connect and be ready to go. Thanks Amazon, next day delivery on 100 amp breaker.

I’m on board with those that think they want to have it go as smoothly as possible for the launch, and let chip shortage affect other parts of product lines.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
My son has a EV and installed the bigger charger and sayed you do not need it. The 240 volt smaller charger will charge it up to 80% overnight and they tell you not to charge more than that to help the life of the battery. Just trying to save you some time and moneys. You will mostly come home without being on empty

OP
L

Lightning-Lab

Feb 15, 2022
Annapolis
My son has a EV and installed the bigger charger and sayed you do not need it. The 240 volt smaller charger will charge it up to 80% overnight and they tell you not to charge more than that to help the life of the battery. Just trying to save you some time and moneys. You will mostly come home without being on empty
Thanks for your comments. Regardless of which 240v charger I choose I need to run wire due to my charging location. some models “come” with the “bigger” charger - so in the end it’s just a few dollars more to use the proper gauge wire to install the “bigger“ charger. Another consideration could be stability in power from local utility. there seems to be a significant interest in potential buyers to take utilize the ability of Ford intelligent backup as a backup generator when power goes out. Though I’m not here to discuss one’s ability to shell out more money for those additional components.

another important downside to the smaller plugin 240v charger in my area is that it doesn’t appear to be compatible with time of use charging to receive a discounted charge rate. In my area compatible chargers will be able to go from 13¢/khw 3.7¢/khw Off peak. Different locales will offer different incentives that might guide charge equipment decision.

it appears in both towing and cold weather areas range will be greatly reduced having some people needing a full charge most days at certain parts of the year, another reason to use the “bigger” charger. Their is limited info from Ford in that regard, because they want us buy their product. All BEV’s loose range with load and or cold, and hilly terrai.

the takeaway from all this should be if you are having to add breaker/wire/outlet for a charger, it really isn’t that much more money to pay for the components that can handle an 80amp charger. in most cases the same amount of labor is necessary to install a 40/60/80 amp charger.

BurnsEBoy

Nov 10, 2021
Michigan
Great point. Just make sure you have 220/240V outlet in your garage and know your circuit capacity (30A or 40A is typical. If you are installing a new outlet, I would recommend wiring for a higher amperage wiring and circuit breaker (60A min) in order to future proof for some of the faster dedicated 220/240V chargers).
The smaller 240V charger included with the truck will be adequate for most user to recharge overnight. A 30A minimum circuit will be adequate for the small included charger.
I have a 40A feed for my garage so I may consider a slightly larger unit and keep my factory one with me in the car.

BurnsEBoy

Nov 10, 2021
Michigan
Thanks for your comments. Regardless of which 240v charger I choose I need to run wire due to my charging location. some models “come” with the “bigger” charger - so in the end it’s just a few dollars more to use the proper gauge wire to install the “bigger“ charger. Another consideration could be stability in power from local utility. there seems to be a significant interest in potential buyers to take utilize the ability of Ford intelligent backup as a backup generator when power goes out. Though I’m not here to discuss one’s ability to shell out more money for those additional components.

another important downside to the smaller plugin 240v charger in my area is that it doesn’t appear to be compatible with time of use charging to receive a discounted charge rate. In my area compatible chargers will be able to go from 13¢/khw 3.7¢/khw Off peak. Different locales will offer different incentives that might guide charge equipment decision.

it appears in both towing and cold weather areas range will be greatly reduced having some people needing a full charge most days at certain parts of the year, another reason to use the “bigger” charger. Their is limited info from Ford in that regard, because they want us buy their product. All BEV’s loose range with load and or cold, and hilly terrai.

the takeaway from all this should be if you are having to add breaker/wire/outlet for a charger, it really isn’t that much more money to pay for the components that can handle an 80amp charger. in most cases the same amount of labor is necessary to install a 40/60/80 amp charger.
I would be shocked (pun intended) if Ford did not enable you to program the car when to enable charging for the time of day discount. It should be part of the ford app As well as programming pre-conditioning time prior to departure.
Most EV’s allow you to plug-in right away but control charging time via the vehicle.

PeterF

Jan 13, 2022
Madison, WI
I would be shocked (pun intended) if Ford did not enable you to program the car when to enable charging for the time of day discount. It should be part of the ford app As well as programming pre-conditioning time prior to departure.
Most EV’s allow you to plug-in right away but control charging time via the vehicle.
It IS possible.

Both the designated charge times (including different charge times for different locations) and the precondition prior to departure.

(This is how our Mach-E works and as I understand it: That’s how the Lightning will work as well)

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I want to know if I ley the truck set for 3 or 4 weeks if the battery runs down. Not plugged in