Range nowhere near what Ford said...

DeFran7285

Aug 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I have an extended range lariat Lightning and the range is nowhere near what Ford claimed it would be. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if there are any ways to resolve it. I know it's been exceptionally hot in PA recently so I have been running the AC but not maxed out. the other day it was 83 degrees, and it said the exterior temperature accounted for 22% of my battery range. Currently with a full charge I am lucky to get 276-270. Any recommendations from my fellow Lightning owners?

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I have an extended range lariat Lightning and the range is nowhere near what Ford claimed it would be. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if there are any ways to resolve it. I know it's been exceptionally hot in PA recently so I have been running the AC but not maxed out. the other day it was 83 degrees, and it said the exterior temperature accounted for 22% of my battery range. Currently with a full charge I am lucky to get 276-270. Any recommendations from my fellow Lightning owners?
Do you drive highway speed a lot or over 70 mph. Does it seat out in the sun all day?

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
those are EPA range numbers, not Ford's, but aggravating none-the-less if it's 'less' than you expect.... although you don't give us much detail.

Driving SPEED can be a BIG retraction to range - if you think that driving 70-80 for hundreds of miles is going to give you the EPA range.... no.
If you drive cautiously, maintain lower speeds, and have a lot of mix of city traffic, then you'll probably see a much close EPA number. Yes, the
exterior ambient temps will affect the battery greatly, just as when you are driving it, but it's likely your speed that contributes the most, as well
as any headwinds, etc.

Also, the truck's system is learning your driving style. You may not see it have as accurate numbers as you wish for some time.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
Power consumption is proportional to the cube of speed. That's a pretty vertical graph if you're driving more than 70. Watch TFL's "Amps to Alaska" series and it was impressive what dropping even 5 mph from 70-65 does.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Based on years of "Leaf" experience, the tire pressures are also a significant factor. I run 40 psi minimum. Not sure the max on the Lightning however. I am very interested in range - especially with a couple of dirt bikes in the back. As to temps - almost 100 oF every day for a month now.

Mini2nut

Feb 3, 2022
CA
As a Tesla owner for 1.5 years I can confirm that range decreases over 65 mph. Wind resistance is the biggest factor.

The EPA tests are under ideal conditions. We consistently get 15% less range than Tesla advertises on our Model Y.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
As a Tesla owner for 1.5 years I can confirm that range decreases over 65 mph. Wind resistance is the biggest factor.

The EPA tests are under ideal conditions. We consistently get 15% less range than Tesla advertises on our Model Y.
EPA highway speed test is based on 60 mph.
Wind resistance increases proportional to speed cubed.
It’s not magic.

kcgolfer

Apr 19, 2023
Kansas City
EPA highway speed test is based on 60 mph.
Wind resistance increases proportional to speed cubed.
It’s not magic.
Thanks for this information. I am just trying to make it non-stop each time from my Missouri home to Iowa with a Pro. Last trip home I had 93% charge around 219 miles available. Drove 66 mph and went 167 miles with around 10 miles/10% charge remaining. Not using any extra power except the display / radio and navigation. Had a little wind but nothing crazy. Might have to drop my speed to 60 and see if there is a difference but I'm already getting passed by everyone and feeling like the old man on the road. I'm been able to make it but didn't think I'd lose that much range. Before one software update my 90% range was around 170 but then it jumped to 210 which seems more accurate and made me happier.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
Thanks for this information. I am just trying to make it non-stop each time from my Missouri home to Iowa with a Pro. Last trip home I had 93% charge around 219 miles available. Drove 66 mph and went 167 miles with around 10 miles/10% charge remaining. Not using any extra power except the display / radio and navigation. Had a little wind but nothing crazy. Might have to drop my speed to 60 and see if there is a difference but I'm already getting passed by everyone and feeling like the old man on the road. I'm been able to make it but didn't think I'd lose that much range. Before one software update my 90% range was around 170 but then it jumped to 210 which seems more accurate and made me happier.
I’m sorry if I was snarky, but 66 mph is 10% faster than 60, proportionate to the cub of speed means 33% more power is required. If it took 30 hp to go 60, it takes 40 hp to go 66. 10 more hp is going to consume 7.46kw more energy. In 3 hours +/- of driving that’s an extra 22 kw-hr out of the battery or 22% more of the battery vs the EPA test cycle of 60 mph on the highway. 22% of 230 mile EPA range is 50 miles. Throw in a variables of weather, and 180 mile range is about it.
I bought the ER knowing that where o live with lots of cold weather, constant winds and hills, I’d expect SR range.
Just rolled 11k miles since January 26th (and 10 days of no driving because of knee surgery!), 230 miles is more than enough to pile up a ton of miles.
Good luck.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
I’m sorry if I was snarky, but 66 mph is 10% faster than 60, proportionate to the cub of speed means 33% more power is required. If it took 30 hp to go 60, it takes 40 hp to go 66. 10 more hp is going to consume 7.46kw more energy. In 3 hours +/- of driving that’s an extra 22 kw-hr out of the battery or 22% more of the battery vs the EPA test cycle of 60 mph on the highway. 22% of 230 mile EPA range is 50 miles. Throw in a variables of weather, and 180 mile range is about it.
I bought the ER knowing that where o live with lots of cold weather, constant winds and hills, I’d expect SR range.
Just rolled 11k miles since January 26th (and 10 days of no driving because of knee surgery!), 230 miles is more than enough to pile up a ton of miles.
Good luck.
Holy cow, I think I need you to do the math on my trips. I currently have mine sitting at local Ford dealership (they expect 30 days before they can even look at it) to do a battery diagnostic.
In another thread, it talked about bad cells in a battery module and I suspected I have that issue.
Here is one example: I have an ER and planned long trip, so charged to 100%. Range on dash claimed 295 at start and I had 207 to my destination. But I drive faster than many people, so I probably averaged closer to 80mph most of the trip.
At 143 miles in, I had to stop and charge as I only had 50 left accordING to the dash. I am guessing, but it seems I would have only made about 175-180 total when I started with 295. So, at 80ish, is that what I should expect?
Also, I have a Tesla model s and never had more than 5% difference from the dash, even at those higher speeds, but I get it’s a bit more aerodynamic than the Lightning (ok, a lot more).

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Oh, I should have also mentioned that I did three days of short driving tests staying under 45, city driving, left heat/air completely off and killed the radio. I still got almost exactly 65% of whatever starting range showed. In that multi day test, I showed 150 range and would have got less than 100 (technically I plugged in with 20 left, because I am not ready to test full dead) but only drove 81 miles.

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
This is same as it has always been. Testing standards do not equal reality. If I go 60mph on 81 in Virginia I will get rear-ended. 70mph is the speed limit on 81 and considered marginally acceptable by most drivers. The as-tested range is only good to use for a comparison basis between multiple options, assuming the same test parameters are used for each. The problem is that when the range is advertised none of the test parameters are advertised with it, nor are the implications of deviating from the parameters. Driving less than 60mph doesn't necessarily mean the range will increase, either - other factors may become more relevant than air resistance. Maybe 60mph was used because it is an average, maybe because it was the "sweet spot" for optimal efficiency. The problem with the average is that the average rarely occurs.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
Holy cow, I think I need you to do the math on my trips. I currently have mine sitting at local Ford dealership (they expect 30 days before they can even look at it) to do a battery diagnostic.
In another thread, it talked about bad cells in a battery module and I suspected I have that issue.
Here is one example: I have an ER and planned long trip, so charged to 100%. Range on dash claimed 295 at start and I had 207 to my destination. But I drive faster than many people, so I probably averaged closer to 80mph most of the trip.
At 143 miles in, I had to stop and charge as I only had 50 left accordING to the dash. I am guessing, but it seems I would have only made about 175-180 total when I started with 295. So, at 80ish, is that what I should expect?
Also, I have a Tesla model s and never had more than 5% difference from the dash, even at those higher speeds, but I get it’s a bit more aerodynamic than the Lightning (ok, a lot more).
So here’s the math:
Lariat ER is rated at 320 miles combined City/HWY. keep in mind their highway test is 60 mph per the EPA. EPA “MPGe is 78 city, 63 highway 70 MPGe combined and 48kwh/100 miles or 2.1 miles/kWh.
This is a pure highway trip so:

63/70*320=288 miles @ 60 mph
80 mph is 33% faster therefore 48*1.33*1.33*1.33/1.33=84.9 kWh to go 100 miles or 1.18mi/kWh.
131kwh battery * 1.18 = 154 miles of range @ 80 mph.
The difference between 60 and 80 mph is double the horsepower (wind resistance is proportional to speed cubed) but you’re covering ground 33% faster.
There’s nothing wrong with your truck.
It’s just a big box doing 80 and you can’t cheat physics.
70 mph would give you about 222 miles of range
Go get your truck.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
So here’s the math:
Lariat ER is rated at 320 miles combined City/HWY. keep in mind their highway test is 60 mph per the EPA. EPA “MPGe is 78 city, 63 highway 70 MPGe combined and 48kwh/100 miles or 2.1 miles/kWh.
This is a pure highway trip so:

63/70*320=288 miles @ 60 mph
80 mph is 33% faster therefore 48*1.33*1.33*1.33/1.33=84.9 kWh to go 100 miles or 1.18mi/kWh.
131kwh battery * 1.18 = 154 miles of range @ 80 mph.
The difference between 60 and 80 mph is double the horsepower (wind resistance is proportional to speed cubed) but you’re covering ground 33% faster.
There’s nothing wrong with your truck.
It’s just a big box doing 80 and you can’t cheat physics.
70 mph would give you about 222 miles of range
Go get your truck.
Despite getting a 770 on math on my SAT many many years ago, you just kinda blew my mind.
I have a Platinum instead of Lariat too, so only 300 on ER instead of 320 due to weight difference.
But my next question, with my test drives at 45ish or less, I also experienced a significant loss from the range shown on the dash.

As a matter of fact, whether I was alone (low weight) and driving slow, or another trip with 4 people, two big dogs, and some luggage ( about 1000 extra pounds) and driving fast; I continue to get almost exactly 65% of whatever range is shown at the start of my trip.
How do we apply math or logic to that issue?

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Despite getting a 770 on math on my SAT many many years ago, you just kinda blew my mind.
I have a Platinum instead of Lariat too, so only 300 on ER instead of 320 due to weight difference.
But my next question, with my test drives at 45ish or less, I also experienced a significant loss from the range shown on the dash.

As a matter of fact, whether I was alone (low weight) and driving slow, or another trip with 4 people, two big dogs, and some luggage ( about 1000 extra pounds) and driving fast; I continue to get almost exactly 65% of whatever range is shown at the start of my trip.
How do we apply math or logic to that issue?
Not sure if anyone followed some of my other posts in other threads, but I have just come to terms with range is poor.
I love everything about my truck except range.
Because of my driving style, combined with liking to be comfortable inside (heat/air accordingly), I will never get more than 200 miles on my extended range truck even at 100% charge, which I have only done 4-5 times in the almost 4 months I have owned it.
Buyers, if you don’t drive like grandpa, and need to get more than 200 miles per charge, consider something else.
But also be aware, my Platinum trim is one of the nicest things I have ever driven and I have owned over 70 vehicles in my life time (so far).

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I am an old man but i drive like i am suppose to. I always get 290 to 300 on my Platinum. Maybe you take of fast or have an electrical leak, like a fan motor or a air compressor pulling down the battery. If you drive like you are taking a driver test and you steal ge bad mileage then something is wrong with the truck or battery.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
I am an old man but i drive like i am suppose to. I always get 290 to 300 on my Platinum. Maybe you take of fast or have an electrical leak, like a fan motor or an air compressor pulling down the battery. If you drive like you are taking a driver test and you steal ge bad mileage then something is wrong with the truck or battery.
Yep, I launch (floor it) every chance I get. I also go faster than “EPA standard” all the time. And I did expect some level of loss due to that for sure, but not 30-35% loss.
My dealer had it for 30 days. No leaks, battery cell health came back clean on three different tests. It was hard for me, but I did 3 full days of driving “normal” and loss was still way higher than expected. So this just seems to be stumping everyone.

wjmalicki

Nov 8, 2023
Hollywood Fl
Do you drive highway speed a lot or over 70 mph. Does it seat out in the sun all day?
Reset your trip history under charging on your Vehicle. The dealer showed me that 2 days ago. Do I have the truck from detroit to leesburg virginia to port saint lucie florida. Forward.

Attachments

• 16995054080096214564099028502055.jpg
    16995054080096214564099028502055.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 16995054408763502468789397359025.jpg
    16995054408763502468789397359025.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 13