So what's the deal?

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
So Ford told us to reserve a Lightning last spring, that we would order our truck in the fall and start receiving trucks early this year.... So where's the trucks?

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
So Ford told us to reserve a Lightning last spring, that we would order our truck in the fall and start receiving trucks early this year.... So where's the trucks?
While the target date for ordering was delayed into winter, Ford said from the beginning that manufacture and deliveries would start in spring '22 - and they are. Spring starts in 10 days, and the earliest build dates I've seen are just a few weeks later. You're not seeing trucks being delivered yet because they were never planned to be ready this early. Give it another 6 weeks or so, and you'll start hearing about the earliest deliveries.

REDHORSECA

Jan 31, 2022
SOCAL
My Lightning timeline:

Reservation - May 20, Spring 2021
Configuration - Jan 20, Winter 2022
Build Week - May 30, 2022
Delivery expected? - mid/late June, Spring/Summer 2022

Looks like I may get my MY22 Lightning during the first half of 2022.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
My reservation was 6/21/21.
Well, there's your problem.

There are still many who made their reservation on 5/19 who haven't gotten to order yet, myself included. I was invited to order, but not until Wave 4 when the model I wanted - XLT+/SR - was already sold out. So I deferred my reservation to 2023.

They had more reservations within 24 hours of the reveal than they were going to be able to fulfill for the 2022 model year, and you didn't even reserve until a month later.

OP
D

Designerguy227

Mar 3, 2022
Chandler AZ
Well, there's your problem.

There are still many who made their reservation on 5/19 who haven't gotten to order yet, myself included. I was invited to order, but not until Wave 4 when the model I wanted - XLT+/SR - was already sold out. So I deferred my reservation to 2023.

They had more reservations within 24 hours of the reveal than they were going to be able to fulfill for the 2022 model year, and you didn't even reserve until a month later.
They never in June told us we were too late for a 2022.
Ford usually does a better job of letting buyers know about their products availability. I'm a long time customer of their products and am disappointed by the huge hype / no delivery / bait and switch because you want a truck this year B.S.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
They never in June told us we were too late for a 2022.
Ford usually does a better job of letting buyers know about their products availability. I'm a long time customer of their products and am disappointed by the huge hype / no delivery / bait and switch because you want a truck this year B.S.
But they did! Ford announced the following reservation numbers, all before you even reserved:
  • 20,000 in 12 hours (May 20)
  • 44,500 in 48 hours (May 21)
  • 70,000 in about 8 days (May 27)
  • 100,000 in about three weeks (June 9)
Considering they weren't even going to start making them until spring, they were never going to make that many units in 2022. Now, you may not have heard those numbers before you reserved, but they were publicly reported at the time.

As far as Ford usually doing better in your eyes, you're basing that on a paradigm that no longer exists. Gone are the days where dealer inventory was practically infinite and the big automakers could make as much as they wanted of any model they wanted. With supply lines the way they are, it's actually pretty amazing they've done as well as they have, mostly keeping to their promised timeline. They can only make as many Lightnings as they have chips and batteries for.

That doesn't mean there's no right to complain at all. They really screwed up the invitation process with too many dealer priorities and they weren't very transparent about allocations and the process in general. They also pretty much left people who aren't in ZEV states out in the cold. But what you're expecting is something Ford was never going to be able to do, even in their best days.