Turning pro-power off

Twidget

Jul 16, 2022
Oregon
Every time I get in the Lightening, I have to access the pro-power and turn it off. I have it in manual. Once I turn it off, it stays off until I turn the truck off. The individual outlets are "OFF" in the bed and Frunk, but the Inverter turns back ON when I turn the truck ON to drive it. It tells me I need to turn off the ignition every time I hit the start button to turn the truck off after a trip. What gives? There is no mention of the pro-power settings in the hard copy that came with the truck, such as it was.

Is there a way to tell the darn thing not to turn on 90w of load every time I "Start" the truck? I clearly don't need the outlets turned on by default. Rather, OFF would be preferred.

So, the question: "How do I turn the pro-power Off so it stays off until I want it?" Or is this going to be an ongoing ritual every time I start out for the day until there's a Firmware update from Ford?

Twidget

Last edited:

DiverBroski

Mar 23, 2023
Oregon
I have the exact same issue. I called Ford yesterday and they said it’s not supposed to be on by default. Is anyone else finding this issue?

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Every time I get in the Lightening, I have to access the pro-power and turn it off. I have it in manual. Once I turn it off, it stays off until I turn the truck off. The individual outlets are "OFF" in the bed and Frunk, but the Inverter turns back ON when I turn the truck ON to drive it. It tells me I need to turn off the ignition every time I hit the start button to turn the truck off after a trip. What gives? There is no mention of the pro-power settings in the hard copy that came with the truck, such as it was.

Is there a way to tell the darn thing not to turn on 90w of load every time I "Start" the truck? I clearly don't need the outlets turned on by default. Rather, OFF would be preferred.

So, the question: "How do I turn the pro-power Off so it stays off until I want it?" Or is this going to be an ongoing ritual every time I start out for the day until there's a Firmware update from Ford?

Twidget
Try going to Ford pass apps and then to vehicle and turn it off their

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
Are you referring to 'Pro Power Onboard', which is the system/inverter that feeds the BED 30amp and 20amp outlets, or are you simply referring to the inverter that powers the interior/cabin outlets?

Pro Power is usually NOT on automatically, UNLESS you have something plugged into one of the FRUNK or BED outlets, whereas, yes, the INTERIOR outlets should always have power. When you go into the 'FEATURES' tab, and chose 'Pro Power', does it show at the top left that your 'PRO POWER' is pressed ON? That is the only place I know of to turn 'off' Pro Power, if you don't want it to be on automatically when something is plugged into any of the Frunk or Bed outlets.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
and yes, it's aggravating everytime you get in, turn the truck ON, and CAN'T PUT IT INTO GEAR without first pressing that 'OK' button that something is plugged into one of your BED outlets.... I know, it's a 'safety' thing, but really, if I always carry something in the bed that needs to have power, such as my mini-fridge, or even the outlet that my Camper is plugged into, I don't need to always have to tell the truck that it's 'OK' and I can now put it into gear and leave. Annoying, yes.

Bigblu

Jul 22, 2023
Harpswell ME
Are you referring to 'Pro Power Onboard', which is the system/inverter that feeds the BED 30amp and 20amp outlets, or are you simply referring to the inverter that powers the interior/cabin outlets?

Pro Power is usually NOT on automatically, UNLESS you have something plugged into one of the FRUNK or BED outlets, whereas, yes, the INTERIOR outlets should always have power. When you go into the 'FEATURES' tab, and chose 'Pro Power', does it show at the top left that your 'PRO POWER' is pressed ON? That is the only place I know of to turn 'off' Pro Power, if you don't want it to be on automatically when something is plugged into any of the Frunk or Bed outlets.
yes ... pro power onboard. By fumbling around I think I was able to turn it off ... thanks

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
I've been using ProPower the last several days while traveling with our Camper, keeping the camper powered for the fridge and fans, while traveling to our Son's home, and a campground, as well...

I realize that if you turn ProPower ON, within the 'Features' tab, it will ALWAYS remain on, at least for the cabin outlets, whenever you turn the truck ON. So, you don't need to always 'tell' the truck you want to always provide power to the cabin outlets, it will just always be on when you go somewhere.
There also won't be any 'message' to have to 'o.k.' for just the cabin outlets.

Now, the other outlets in the Frunk and the Bed are a different story.

Ford designed these to be 'ON' whenever you TELL the truck you want these to be ON, or to Remain ON, and ONLY if you have something plugged into one of the outlets.
So, if you have ProPower ON, where it will always 'search' for outlets in use when you turn the truck ON, then, yes, the truck will 'ASK' you if you want the ProPower to remain ON for those Frunk or Bed outlets, which is really just a safety measure, annoying maybe, yes, but for safety.
It will also continue to prompt with the message that "ProPower will remain on until it reaches your set mileage limit" on the center screen, too.

I suppose, too, that if you turn ProPower OFF, it will no longer prompt you, or care whether something is plugged into any outlet, or so I would assume.... but, I'll have to try that and see.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
I tested the idea of whether the ProPower will come on automatically, and prompt you, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TURNED IT OFF the last time... yes, it will, IF you have anything plugged into the Frunk or Bed outlets.
I suppose that Ford's engineers are assuming that if you have something plugged in, you probably DO WANT ProPower to be on... even if you had turned off ProPower during the last drive.

MR Fiso

Nov 26, 2023
Washington State
As a new owner who needed to run a laptop inside the truck to do some work in a parking lot, I had to turn on ProPower. That automatically turned on the cabin only. Bed and Frunk remained off until I would want them on. {frunk.. a new word I had to add to my browser dictionary so it would not think I spelled it wrong .. ha..}

Thinking about it, you use the Frunk and Bed sockets to power something. Maybe a fridge in a power failure. Or a table saw in the field. So, as a developer you have to account for those people. If it did not ask 'do you really want to do this?' when going into gear, you might end up dragging a cord or appliance down the road. So, why not make you think first. Just say, yes, I know.

Sure, having your bed or frunk with something that needs power while you are driving is highly probable. I know I will. But, the question is wiser than just letting you make a big mistake by accident.