Canceling my reservation, change my mind

Keep or Cancel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Okay, I've been on the fence for a while, one minute I'm like this is stupid to buy an electric truck that can only tow 80miles, the next, I'm excited to put in my order. But the more I think about it, I think the technology is just not there and the price for 'what I want' is over 80k. Convince me to keep my reservation.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I voted to keep your reservation you can always cancel so let it sit there and make up your mind when they call you. I am on the fence to. I am tired of the hurry up and wait game. Ford is keeping use in the dark is BS

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
I had a chance to purchase an "allocation"fully loaded vehicle without a reservation ($130k!!!) and quickly tried to nail down the actual "home integration" system's concepts - and did not find much encouraging and opted out - but it's early and no one seems to have an actual install yet.

As a dirt biker, this vehicle seems almost too perfect - use as home backup (V2H), off grid if needed, vehicle to load, Possibly "energy arbitrage" (V2G) and the ability to haul a couple of bikes.

I'm all in for V2X and the Lightning's first out of box of the V2H was (IMO) not encouraging as it's a limited implementation of "bidirectional" energy flow. Can explain technology if anyone is interested.

The other discouraging issue is the limited range, even with the super large battery. My Leaf is consistent in 4+ miles per kWh (60 kWh X 4 = 240 miles). I'm worried that with similar driving of the Lightning, fully loaded with a bike in the back and two or three in a small trailer, I might only get a similar or less range (130 kWh X 2 m/kWh = 260 miles) - with massive charging required to go any further.

So... I'm discouraged, but not out. Waiting for some real feedback on V2H and range. Please do post your results. If I had made a reservation, I certainly would not cancel until a real financial decision was to be made!

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I had a chance to purchase an "allocation"fully loaded vehicle without a reservation ($130k!!!) and quickly tried to nail down the actual "home integration" system's concepts - and did not find much encouraging and opted out - but it's early and no one seems to have an actual install yet.

As a dirt biker, this vehicle seems almost too perfect - use as home backup (V2H), off grid if needed, vehicle to load, Possibly "energy arbitrage" (V2G) and the ability to haul a couple of bikes.

I'm all in for V2X and the Lightning's first out of box of the V2H was (IMO) not encouraging as it's a limited implementation of "bidirectional" energy flow. Can explain technology if anyone is interested.

The other discouraging issue is the limited range, even with the super large battery. My Leaf is consistent in 4+ miles per kWh (60 kWh X 4 = 240 miles). I'm worried that with similar driving of the Lightning, fully loaded with a bike in the back and two or three in a small trailer, I might only get a similar or less range (130 kWh X 2 m/kWh = 260 miles) - with massive charging required to go any further.

So... I'm discouraged, but not out. Waiting for some real feedback on V2H and range. Please do post your results. If I had made a reservation, I certainly would not cancel until a real financial decision was to be made!
Good insight, please vote at the top of this post.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
you don't have to be convinced, it's not for everyone...
I voted to keep your reservation you can always cancel so let it sit there and make up your mind when they call you. I am on the fence to. I am tired of the hurry up and wait game. Ford is keeping use in the dark is BS
Okay, I've been on the fence for a while, one minute I'm like this is stupid to buy an electric truck that can only tow 80miles, the next, I'm excited to put in my order. But the more I think about it, I think the technology is just not there and the price for 'what I want' is over 80k. Convince me to keep my reservation.
Nothing gained by cancelling, (except your $100, now worth $90). The one I want is over $80k too. If it comes to not being able to swing the $80k, by the Pro (and wait). It'll have a TCO less than a Toyota Camry Hybrid and you'll have a great truck for grocery-getting and Home Depot runs. The Lightning is a tool but like your Crescent wrench; it's not suited to do every job, just most jobs spectacularly well.

Mini2nut

Feb 3, 2022
CA
Keep and flip for a profit.

With only 15k or so Lightning's being built for the model year the demand is off the charts for the truck.

FamousTPerks

Dec 20, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I completely understand your concern, as I have a similar dilemma with the Lightning. I’m totally excited for it to be THE last vehicle I need; I don’t tow, I’m a weekender, and everything is local. But, as we have all seen, availability of the vehicle, the exact trim you want, and nonsense like ADM make it a mental game.

My perspective is that, if I don’t get the Pro or base XLT (those all I’ll ever need), I’ll still build as close to what I need as possible and take delivery. During the wait time, I will be making primary, secondary, and tertiary plans to keep, rent, and/or sell without insane markup my Lightning.

So I voted “keep” because it still gives you options.

I’ve also hedged my bets and reserved the Silverado EV, Blazer EV, and considering a Rivian.

RickE

Oct 7, 2021
Miami
I too am on the fence. $80K is a lot of money no question.

Agree that Ford has done a very poor job with reservation holders. They are more concerned with pleasing their dealers and not their customers. They had a great chance to make this easy and fair to all their customers/reservation holders. First come first served, simple. Each reservation has a time stamp, so the first 15,000 get a truck. Instead they decided to please their dealer and made it based on them and not their customers. It has been very difficult as a day 1 reservation holder and seeing people that reserved 2 or 3 weeks later getting a truck before me. It is also very difficult because they will be getting the $7500 rebate and I will not. Bottom line, I or anyone else have no idea if and when we will get a truck. Ford does have that information right now. They could let all of us know exactly when they plan on allowing us to convert our reservation to an actual oder. But they choose not to. They want you to keep thinking that you will be getting an invitation to order. That way, you do not change your mine or even buy another truck.

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
I too am on the fence. $80K is a lot of money no question.

Agree that Ford has done a very poor job with reservation holders. They are more concerned with pleasing their dealers and not their customers. They had a great chance to make this easy and fair to all their customers/reservation holders. First come first served, simple. Each reservation has a time stamp, so the first 15,000 get a truck. Instead they decided to please their dealer and made it based on them and not their customers. It has been very difficult as a day 1 reservation holder and seeing people that reserved 2 or 3 weeks later getting a truck before me. It is also very difficult because they will be getting the $7500 rebate and I will not. Bottom line, I or anyone else have no idea if and when we will get a truck. Ford does have that information right now. They could let all of us know exactly when they plan on allowing us to convert our reservation to an actual oder. But they choose not to. They want you to keep thinking that you will be getting an invitation to order. That way, you do not change your mine or even buy another truck.
It's worse than that! If you go through the Reservation holders list, there are some that reserved in November that got a truck and yea, you're right. Us first day, early reservation holders gave FoMoCo the confidence to double-down on EVs and subsequent expansion of The Rouge. I hadn't considered that we're also getting screwed out of the tax rebate AND on top of that my dealership is now waffling on the No ADM thing.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
I agree with the aggravation, and patience required for this new type of vehicle that is so exciting to many of us, BUT, hold the horses, I don't know that I can join the band wagon with thinking that somehow Ford, itself, is trying to 'keep' us from getting the VERY THING they are trying to sell to us - that part really makes no sense, in the real world. Ford is producing AS MANY Lightnings as it can possible build, but there ARE limits - the real world says that while they have brought out a very enticing and exciting new Truck, they also are at some limits to what they can actually produce - even if you take away the commodity constraints, i.e., lack of inventory of certain parts, whether production or shipping related.
I see that Ford has knocked it out of the park with this Truck. We are ALL here because we want one. Some of us, yes, will get a 2022 model, most will not, but that doesn't mean that Ford is trying to KEEP you from getting one - it's the luck of the draw. I agree that it would seem that those who reserved 'first', and ordered 'first', should get their truck 'first', MINE included. I am aggravated. I have waited PATIENTLY for MONTHs and MONTHs in addition to the original build date of 5/30... and mine has STILL NOT BEEN BUILT. But, it will. And, it will EVENTUALLY arrive.
Ford is ramping up production, but our impatient minds continue to believe certain things that may not be true - because we have the tracking capabilities, and the forums to talk about these things, we are more impatient than ever. Sometimes more information is actually more information than we really need.
We're not going to die. We don't NEED a truck. We just want one.

RickE

Oct 7, 2021
Miami
I agree with the aggravation, and patience required for this new type of vehicle that is so exciting to many of us, BUT, hold the horses, I don't know that I can join the band wagon with thinking that somehow Ford, itself, is trying to 'keep' us from getting the VERY THING they are trying to sell to us - that part really makes no sense, in the real world. Ford is producing AS MANY Lightnings as it can possible build, but there ARE limits - the real world says that while they have brought out a very enticing and exciting new Truck, they also are at some limits to what they can actually produce - even if you take away the commodity constraints, i.e., lack of inventory of certain parts, whether production or shipping related.
I see that Ford has knocked it out of the park with this Truck. We are ALL here because we want one. Some of us, yes, will get a 2022 model, most will not, but that doesn't mean that Ford is trying to KEEP you from getting one - it's the luck of the draw. I agree that it would seem that those who reserved 'first', and ordered 'first', should get their truck 'first', MINE included. I am aggravated. I have waited PATIENTLY for MONTHs and MONTHs in addition to the original build date of 5/30... and mine has STILL NOT BEEN BUILT. But, it will. And, it will EVENTUALLY arrive.
Ford is ramping up production, but our impatient minds continue to believe certain things that may not be true - because we have the tracking capabilities, and the forums to talk about these things, we are more impatient than ever. Sometimes more information is actually more information than we really need.
We're not going to die. We don't NEED a truck. We just want one.
No one is going to die is obvious, so I don‘t understand that comment.

In the real world, people who made reservations weeks and even months after I did are getting a 2022 Lightning and I am not. In the real world, those individuals will get the full $7,500 rebate, I will not. In the real world, the 2023 Lightning will cost at least $3-$5K more than the 2022. In the real world, my overall cost for a 2023 is going to be $10-$12K more than if I would have gotten a 2022.

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
No one is going to die is obvious, so I don‘t understand that comment.

In the real world, people who made reservations weeks and even months after I did are getting a 2022 Lightning and I am not. In the real world, those individuals will get the full $7,500 rebate, I will not. In the real world, the 2023 Lightning will cost at least $3-$5K more than the 2022. In the real world, my overall cost for a 2023 is going to be $10-$12K more than if I would have gotten a 2022.
Very valid points, I'm very miffed about being passed over when my reservation was put in DAY ONE. I think the full rebates will still be available for us, but that is a dice-roll. The only silver lining, is we might get some new color choices.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
yep, we all have something to gripe about - getting a day-one reservation, a day-one-minute order, and then getting shoved back no less than SIX times, for over TWO MONTHS from the original build-week of MAY 30th... I would have already had my Lightning now, but, here I am, still waiting for it to be built, and then add another MONTH for delivery... yes, we ALL have something to gripe about.

unreal

Jul 22, 2021
Texas
Keep.
How often do you pull a trailer? You are allowed to have more than one vehicle. If I'm going on a long trip or pulling a trailer I'll use my ICE truck. The other 99% of the time I'll be driving the Lightning.

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
Keep.
How often do you pull a trailer? You are allowed to have more than one vehicle. If I'm going on a long trip or pulling a trailer I'll use my ICE truck. The other 99% of the time I'll be driving the Lightning.
Would love to keep both trucks, but I currently have a 2018 F150 XLT Ecoboost and if I buy the Lightning, I will have to sell it in order to afford the Lightning! I'm not rich enough for both!! LOL