Dealership Lightning scam

rwhite23

Mar 3, 2022
CT
I unfortunately came across what I believe to be a big dealership scam today, which I find very disheartening to those of us who have been patiently waiting for our turn to legitimately order a lightning.
I put my reservation in within 24 hours of the banks opening (May 20, 2021), but have not heard anything from Ford about converting my reservation to an order. This is understandable as I know that it is not a true first come first serve basis.
My 22 year old Chevy Silverado finally passed away, and was in a bind to find a new vehicle, so I started searching the internet for a new truck.
By accident, I came across Smithfield Ford in St. James NY, and they are advertising 2022 lightnings for sale. You can see them here still on their website as of this posting (https://www.fordofsmithtown.net/all...ke=Ford&model=F-150 Lightning&bodyStyle=Truck). This was very perplexing to me since I know there are 200k of us patiently awaiting our Lightnings and didn't understand how they could be selling them out to the public. I had a quick chat online with the representative, and made an appointment for the next day. I was told they were having a special 3 day event and needed to unload the 2022s to make room for the 2023s, so I took the day off from work and travelled 3 hours each way hoping I could get my hands on my much anticipated Lightning - they were advertising an in-stock XLT (my Lightning of choice) and 3 Lariats (on the way). I called the night before to make sure it was still available, and was told it was.
When I arrived, I was told the XLT had already been sold, but could still buy a Pro or one of the 3 Lariats. So here's where the scam starts. Although they're advertised for the MSRP, there is a $20k dealer markup. I asked how they were able to sell them to the public since there is a huge waiting line, and they said that these were ordered but the customers changed their minds and didn't want them. 5 Lightnings were ordered and none of the customers wanted them ?? Really ? Why didn't you just move down your list of other reservation holders? I was told they didn't want them. Again, this has to be complete BS.
So here's my theory on the scam. Smithfield Ford had friends put in bogus reservations, which they converted to bogus orders. Then when Ford fulfilled the orders to the dealership, they put them up for sale to the highest bidder. Bypassing all of us on the list.
I have reported this to Ford, but unfortunately have no confidence that anything will be done. In my opinion, Ford should revoke their dealership license. It would be very easy to cross check the Orders with actual registrations and I will bet that none of them match up.
Anyway, bought myself a new Chevy Colorado and will wait for either the Electric Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado to come out in 3-5 years.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I unfortunately came across what I believe to be a big dealership scam today, which I find very disheartening to those of us who have been patiently waiting for our turn to legitimately order a lightning.
I put my reservation in within 24 hours of the banks opening (May 20, 2021), but have not heard anything from Ford about converting my reservation to an order. This is understandable as I know that it is not a true first come first serve basis.
My 22 year old Chevy Silverado finally passed away, and was in a bind to find a new vehicle, so I started searching the internet for a new truck.
By accident, I came across Smithfield Ford in St. James NY, and they are advertising 2022 lightnings for sale. You can see them here still on their website as of this posting (https://www.fordofsmithtown.net/all-inventory/index.htm?make=Ford&model=F-150 Lightning&bodyStyle=Truck). This was very perplexing to me since I know there are 200k of us patiently awaiting our Lightnings and didn't understand how they could be selling them out to the public. I had a quick chat online with the representative, and made an appointment for the next day. I was told they were having a special 3 day event and needed to unload the 2022s to make room for the 2023s, so I took the day off from work and travelled 3 hours each way hoping I could get my hands on my much anticipated Lightning - they were advertising an in-stock XLT (my Lightning of choice) and 3 Lariats (on the way). I called the night before to make sure it was still available, and was told it was.
When I arrived, I was told the XLT had already been sold, but could still buy a Pro or one of the 3 Lariats. So here's where the scam starts. Although they're advertised for the MSRP, there is a $20k dealer markup. I asked how they were able to sell them to the public since there is a huge waiting line, and they said that these were ordered but the customers changed their minds and didn't want them. 5 Lightnings were ordered and none of the customers wanted them ?? Really ? Why didn't you just move down your list of other reservation holders? I was told they didn't want them. Again, this has to be complete BS.
So here's my theory on the scam. Smithfield Ford had friends put in bogus reservations, which they converted to bogus orders. Then when Ford fulfilled the orders to the dealership, they put them up for sale to the highest bidder. Bypassing all of us on the list.
I have reported this to Ford, but unfortunately have no confidence that anything will be done. In my opinion, Ford should revoke their dealership license. It would be very easy to cross check the Orders with actual registrations and I will bet that none of them match up.
Anyway, bought myself a new Chevy Colorado and will wait for either the Electric Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado to come out in 3-5 years.
Definitely seems shady! I don't like the way Ford did the rollout - it was messy and a lot of early reservation holders got bypassed, me included. I was finally able to order but I had to order a Lariat because the XLT's sold out before I get my order configured. Best of luck!

Rajurrk

Sep 22, 2022
By accident, I came across Smithfield Ford in St. James NY, and they are advertising 2022 lightnings for sale. You can see them here still on their website as of this posting (https://www.fordofsmithtown.net/all-inventory/index.htm?make=Ford&model=F-150 Lightning&bodyStyle=Truck). This was very perplexing to me since I know there are 200k of us patiently awaiting our Lightnings and didn't understand how they could be selling them out to the public. I had a quick chat online with the representative, and made an appointment for the next day. I was told they were having a special 3 day event and needed to unload the 2022s to make room for the 2023s, so I took the day off from work and travelled 3 hours each way hoping I could get my hands on my much anticipated Lightning - they were advertising an in-stock XLT (my Lightning of choice) and 3 Lariats (on the way). I called the night before to make sure it was still available, and was told it was.
The same dealership had contacted me the first week when lighting came out had a vehicle that i wanted but were asking 30K over MSRP