Ford and PG&E partner on electric F-150 powering homes

f150-lightning-news-PG&E-FORD.jpg

Ford Motor will collaborate with Pacific Gas and Electric Co. in California to evaluate the bidirectional charging capabilities of the electric F-150 Lightning to power homes and return energy to the power grid. Ford CEO Jim Farley and PG&E CEO Patti Poppe announced the plans Thursday night at the CERAWeek energy conference in Texas.

Bidirectional charging involves an EV’s ability to return energy to a home or the power grid, a reverse of the home and grid charging the vehicle. The EVs can charge at night when rates are low and potentially provide energy back to the grid during peak hours. That would allow customers to save money on their electricity bill and create less strain on the grid.

Continue Reading @ CNBC

KEY POINTS
  • Ford will collaborate with Pacific Gas and Electric Co. in California to evaluate the capabilities of the electric F-150 Lightning to power homes and return energy to the power grid.
  • Ford CEO Jim Farley and PG&E Corp. CEO Patti Poppe announced the plans Thursday night at the CERAWeek energy conference in Texas.
  • The F-150 Lightning — due out this spring — already has the capability to power a home in the event of a power outage, according to the company. Ford calls it “Intelligent Backup Power.”

This is hoping for too much, but I wonder if PG&E will subsidize the inverter, transfer switch, and installation for early F-150 owners? Intelligent Backup Power just isn't feasible for many people because the cost - in addition to the truck - is going to be many thousands of dollars. Because of this cost, I just plan to plug important items into the truck's frunk and/or bed outlets using extension cords in case of power outage.

The battery only has so many charges. I don't want to be buying a $10,000 battery in 3 years

This is hoping for too much, but I wonder if PG&E will subsidize the inverter, transfer switch, and installation for early F-150 owners? Intelligent Backup Power just isn't feasible for many people because the cost - in addition to the truck - is going to be many thousands of dollars. Because of this cost, I just plan to plug important items into the truck's frunk and/or bed outlets using extension cords in case of power outage.
You're very correct when you say many thousands. I have a quote for $3,500 just to upgrade my current electrical service to 200 Amp. Then add Sunrun Home integration module for $3,700, 80Amp charger for $1,310 plus installation and cost of upgrading to the extended range battery. Guess it's extension cords for me too.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Can you run your furnace doing this though?

I don't think so. My furnace is natural gas-powered, but I think most electric furnaces are too high-powered even for the 9.6 kw Pro-Power Onboard. A smaller electric fireplace, though, would work. Or an electric space heater. In cold areas during a winter power outage you're going to want to put everyone in one room and pool your warmth anyway.

My oil fired steam boiler only requires 170 watts to fire the oil burner, I have 7200/h backup Lipo4 based inverter the ran it in the worst of winter zero degree days for over 4 days ~100 hours. The lightning would have no trouble running my system, and should have no problem with circulating water or air systems.

Heat-pumps might not work so well, the compressor and blowers together draw a lot of amps

The Lightning comes from Ford with an 8 year battery warrantee, and since Intelligent Backup Power is an advertised feature of the product it will be covered in that use case.
I know that I just forgot. I was the one who posted the video explaining that for was going to warranty the battery for 8 year. I just get forgetful in my old age.

Back