Ford doubles F-150 Lightning Production Target

f150-lightning-production.jpg

Ford Motor has doubled its production target for the F-150 Lightning because of strong early demand for the full-sized electric pickup truck ahead of its 2022 launch and plans to spend an additional $850 million to meet that target, several people and suppliers familiar with the plans told Reuters. The No. 2 U.S. automaker is targeting annual production of more than 80,000 in 2024, up from its prior target of more than 40,000, according to the sources, who asked not to be identified.

“They were pleasantly surprised by the demand for the Lightning,” one of the sources said of Ford officials.

Continue reading @ CNBC

Yes, me too...but an announcement for increased production in 2024 may not get us our lightnings sooner next year!
Agreed. For many this is disappointing news. Granted, no official numbers have been announced by Ford. But previously we had analysts’ projections of 80,000 units in the first year. Now, (based on unnamed sources) we’re supposedly getting less than 1/5th as many. I made my reservation a couple hours after the site opened, so that likely only delays my delivery until the end of 2022. But for the majority of the 120,000+ reservations, delivery won’t be on the table until 2023, 24, or even 25.

I’m trying to be optimistic and tell myself that Ford couldn’t possibly be ramping up that slowly. Perhaps the reported 15,000 first-year units number was leaked to temper enthusiasm, stop the reservation list from getting too much longer, and get those who aren’t serious to drop their reservations. Perhaps it’s a way to hedge against potential battery and chip supply issues. Perhaps they will be able to make a lot more, but would rather pleasantly surprise serious buyers than hold onto reservations from the undecided.

Until Ford announces otherwise, though, 15,000 appears to be the first-year target, and that’s not a lot of trucks. Not for Ford.

Yeah so for a hundred dollar deposit, I’m not going to ask for a refund, but with my reservation being the third week of June by which time around 80k slots were taken.......and say maybe 50% of those become sales (that might be optimistic!) we are still looking at 40k trucks in 2022......I’m looking real hard at the Rivian now!!

its hard to tell were your at on the reservations list but I ordered the morning of day 3, I feel confident im in the first 25k. Assuming 75-80% turn into orders i feel like i should be driving my lightning in 2022. I wonder how many out of the first run go to vips / dealers and promoters and when do reservations start to kick in.

its hard to tell were your at on the reservations list but I ordered the morning of day 3, I feel confident im in the first 25k. Assuming 75-80% turn into orders i feel like i should be driving my lightning in 2022. I wonder how many out of the first run go to vips / dealers and promoters and when do reservations start to kick in.
I read that on a new vehicle line Ford does not start making vehicles for sale to consumers until the production line goes five days with no errors, which can take one to two months. Those first vehicles go to fleet sales.

Back