Ford F-150 Lightning might have Range Extender in the bed

ford-range-extender-toolbox1.jpg

Ford has patented a removable range extender for an electric pickup that sits in the bed and resembles a toolbox. The Drive first spotted the patent, submitted in April 2018 and published on September 15, 2020. Its illustrations show a removable range extender that sits in the bed of a truck and looks like a toolbox. Inside the device would be a small motor, fuel tank, exhaust system, and electronics needed to hook it up to an electric truck. The abstract for the patent states:

"This disclosure details electrified vehicles that are equipped with removable generators for increasing the electric range of the vehicles. An exemplary electrified vehicle includes a cargo space, such as a truck bed, and a generator removably positioned within the cargo space. The generator is adapted to selectively supply power for either charging a battery pack of the electrified vehicle or for propelling one or more vehicle drive wheels. In some embodiments, the generator is shaped like, and therefore disguised as, a toolbox."

Read the entire article @ Car and Driver

Thanks for the heads up 👍 @frunk - https://www.ford-lightning.com/threads/f-150-lightning-first-mod.40/post-303

Last edited:

corytx69

Aug 4, 2021
Texas
My 2015 BMW i3 has this option - its a 2.2 gallon fuel tank connected to a bmw moped engine - gets me about 76 more miles of range at highway speeds (depending on wind and temperature)

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
My 2015 BMW i3 has this option - its a 2.2 gallon fuel tank connected to a bmw moped engine - gets me about 76 more miles of range at highway speeds (depending on wind and temperature)
Interesting! Where does it engine go when in use? Is it in the car or does it mount to the rear receiver hitch or what?

corytx69

Aug 4, 2021
Texas
Interesting! Where does it engine go when in use? Is it in the car or does it mount to the rear receiver hitch or what?
Its permanently integrated into the drive system on rear right side under the hatchback. The fuel tank is in the frunk in front of the passenger. The REX kicks on when the battery gets to 7% full and only supplies generated power to run the car, it doesnt propel the car - just a generator. Just gives you enough power to get to a charging station or another gas station - you have to stop and fill the 2 gallon tank every 50 miles or so if you are going 75 on the highway. You can also manually enable REX if you want to maintain SOC - so like you are coming home late at night and dont want to make noise - you engage the REX to hold the battery at any level and then when you get close to home turn it off so you can glide in silently.......

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Its permanently integrated into the drive system on rear right side under the hatchback. The fuel tank is in the frunk in front of the passenger. The REX kicks on when the battery gets to 7% full and only supplies generated power to run the car, it doesnt propel the car - just a generator. Just gives you enough power to get to a charging station or another gas station - you have to stop and fill the 2 gallon tank every 50 miles or so if you are going 75 on the highway. You can also manually enable REX if you want to maintain SOC - so like you are coming home late at night and dont want to make noise - you engage the REX to hold the battery at any level and then when you get close to home turn it off so you can glide in silently.......
sounds good but where did you find that info