I want to tow 10,000lbs w/ SR battery.

kenfaber

Mar 15, 2022
Atlanta, GA
I have ordered the Ford Lightning Pro with Max Trailer Tow Package and Tow Tech pkg. The specs say that this truck will be able to tow 77000lbs. I am wondering why I cannot tow 10,000lbs like the folks who order the Extended Range Battery. Specifically, what does a Lightning truck with ER battery have on it that will allow it to tow the additional 2300lbs (besides the battery)? Obviously, the ER battery will give you longer towing RANGE, but I want to know specifically what feature(s) of the truck itself accounts for the higher 10k tow rating. Note, I have the Max Trailer Tow package that has the extra cooling feature. I just want to tow my Bobcat skid steer 5 miles from time to time.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I have ordered the Ford Lightning Pro with Max Trailer Tow Package and Tow Tech pkg. The specs say that this truck will be able to tow 77000lbs. I am wondering why I cannot tow 10,000lbs like the folks who order the Extended Range Battery. Specifically, what does a Lightning truck with ER battery have on it that will allow it to tow the additional 2300lbs (besides the battery)? Obviously, the ER battery will give you longer towing RANGE, but I want to know specifically what feature(s) of the truck itself accounts for the higher 10k tow rating. Note, I have the Max Trailer Tow package that has the extra cooling feature. I just want to tow my Bobcat skid steer 5 miles from time to time.
The ER battery has two separate inverters that work in parallel to increase charge speed. The SR battery does not have this. Speculation on my part... but maybe the ER battery also has two separate leads to the motors? This would allow it to pump more power to the motors than the SR battery possibly can, giving it more "pull" (as always, at the cost of range).

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I believe That the smaller battery will pull to much current for long distant and the smaller tires can not hold the wait. But I believe you will be able to haul your skid steer with no problem.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I believe That the smaller battery will pull to much current for long distant and the smaller tires can not hold the wait. But I believe you will be able to haul your skid steer with no problem.
The ER battery, and its larger tow capacity, is available on all wheel/tire combinations, I believe. It's purely the difference between the batteries and their related wiring. Even the motors are the same - just provided different levels of power.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
smaller the tire the harder it is to push and when you add more wait it makes it even harder so it does not handle the wait as well so it pulls more current on the motor to move that wait.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
there is no difference in ANY of the trim levels of the LIGHTNING - only the ER versus the SR battery. Shocks, axles, tow hitch - all the same.
Now, where the rating difference is falls into the hands of the ability of the battery to be able to 'pull' that much weight, over long distances, over ascending hills and mountains, without OVERHEATING. The optional MAX TOW PACKAGE simply adds the additional COOLING elements to create the greater towing capacity of each battery size, while the ER battery has the additional POWER to maintain the 10,000lbs, at speed, without overheating.
Otherwise, no, there is no difference in the vehicle, itself, sans the tire size, which can easily be changed, if you wish.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
smaller the tire the harder it is to push and when you add more wait it makes it even harder so it does not handle the wait as well so it pulls more current on the motor to move that wait.
There is no "smaller tire." There are three wheel sizes, but the tires are all approximately the same diameter (within an inch or so) for all models. You just get more rubber and a softer ride when you have less aluminum.

18" wheel = high profile tire/20" wheel = medium profile tire/22" wheel = low profile tire

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Why is it that the Platinum doesn't have a 300 mile range. What is the deference's between them.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
Why is it that the Platinum doesn't have a 300 mile range. What is the deference's between them.
Ford has not said, definitively. Speculation is that the trim-specific equipment adds weight, which then must be subtracted from the payload. I think it's most likely that the 22" wheels and their low profile tires are less robust than the smaller wheels/higher profile tires.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Ford has not said, definitively. Speculation is that the trim-specific equipment adds weight, which then must be subtracted from the payload. I think it's most likely that the 22" wheels and their low profile tires are less robust than the smaller wheels/higher profile tires.
But the low profile tire have a 5 1/2 inch side wall which is the same thing I have on my 2008 F 150

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
But the low profile tire have a 5 1/2 inch side wall which is the same thing I have on my 2008 F 150
That doesn't mean much. Those 5 1/2 inches (5.39", actually) are carrying a lot more weight on a Platinum Lightning than they are on your comparatively lightweight 2008 F150. That being said, the wheels are probably more limiting than the tires. There's only so much weight a 22" aluminum wheel can safely carry while simultaneously dealing with side loads and temporary CG changes from cornering, centrifugal loads from spinning, and torsional loads from the Lightning's beastly torque.

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
Another post, the one with the window stickers, indicates the following:

Standard range battery:
* Pro: 230 miles

Extended range battery:
* Pro: 320 miles
* Lariat: 320 miles
* Platinum: 300 miles

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Another post, the one with the window stickers, indicates the following:

Standard range battery:
* Pro: 230 miles

Extended range battery:
* Pro: 320 miles
* Lariat: 320 miles
* Platinum: 300 miles
Thanks I that is the first time I have seen that

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
That doesn't mean much. Those 5 1/2 inches (5.39", actually) are carrying a lot more weight on a Platinum Lightning than they are on your comparatively lightweight 2008 F150. That being said, the wheels are probably more limiting than the tires. There's only so much weight a 22" aluminum wheel can safely carry while simultaneously dealing with side loads and temporary CG changes from cornering, centrifugal loads from spinning, and torsional loads from the Lightning's beastly torque.
Is that not the same think I was saying about the tires and weight. I think i spelled it wrong wait in my last post

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
Is that not the same think I was saying about the tires and weight. I think i spelled it wrong wait in my last post
Apologies, you were talking about range and I was still talking about weight - but the reason for both is the same: the wheels.

I think the Platinum's lower payload capacity is because its larger - and therefore less robust - wheels just can't handle the full 2000 lb. payload of the other trims.

As for range, we all discovered yesterday with the release of the window stickers that the Platinum does indeed have a 300 mile EPA rating. But the other trims with the ER battery get 320 miles. It's still the wheels. 22" wheels are heavy, and it takes more power to turn those big suckers with all their inertia. That means a resulting reduction in range. I bet the Platinum has a longer stopping distance as well, for the same reason.

BurnsEBoy

Nov 10, 2021
Michigan
The ER battery, and its larger tow capacity, is available on all wheel/tire combinations, I believe. It's purely the difference between the batteries and their related wiring. Even the motors are the same - just provided different levels of power.
I have a related thought on this. Power = Voltage times Current. I believe the larger battery operates at a HIGHER VOLTAGE than the smaller battery. That would explain the higher horsepower from the same motors and the larger tow rating.

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I see everyone concerned about towing with an EV. Here are 2 videos from Out Of Spec Reviews which should answer most folks questions. Testing is done on the Rivian R1T pickup.