Likes and dislikes

I love almost everything about this great machine, but one thing has me puzzled, and a little concerned:

it many times seems that the truck 'holds itself' until you have pressed the pedal farther than you think you should have to in order to get it moving. When it does eventually 'move', it seems as though it is 'springing up' before it finally let's go and moves forward, or WORSE, in REVERSE.

This might not seem any issue on normal day-to-day driving, but with a camper, it's a whole different worry. If I am backing up to my camper, and apply the brakes when I think I'm close, when I go to make another move slightly farther back to get under the coupler, it seems to take way too much pressing on the pedal before it suddenly 'jerks' into moving - NOT what you want when you only want it to move 1". It's a little hazardous. I don't understand it.

I've checked OFF on the 'Brake Hold', thinking that was what was causing it, but no.
I've made sure 'one-pedal' was not engaged.
I've tried it while using 'Pro Trailer', and when not, and it seems to react the same unfortunate way.
Trying different 'modes' doesn't really change anything about the reaction.
I'm probably doing something wrong, but there's nothing on the screen that seems to tell me so.
It's almost like the truck is 'loading up', to advance suddenly, when you least expect it.

I think now that this is the VERY THING that the transport driving experienced when she first put the truck in REVERSE, to get it down and off the ramps of the truck: I saw it 'jump' suddenly, as though she had pressed the pedal too hard, and she then had to kick the brakes hard to control it... I almost thought at that moment she might lose my truck off the ramps(!) Crazy. Now, I'm experiencing something similar. The pedal does not want to allow you to 'feather' it, from a stop. It acts as though it must have 'so much' input before it reacts.

I love almost everything about this great machine, but one thing has me puzzled, and a little concerned:

it many times seems that the truck 'holds itself' until you have pressed the pedal farther than you think you should have to in order to get it moving. When it does eventually 'move', it seems as though it is 'springing up' before it finally let's go and moves forward, or WORSE, in REVERSE.

This might not seem any issue on normal day-to-day driving, but with a camper, it's a whole different worry. If I am backing up to my camper, and apply the brakes when I think I'm close, when I go to make another move slightly farther back to get under the coupler, it seems to take way too much pressing on the pedal before it suddenly 'jerks' into moving - NOT what you want when you only want it to move 1". It's a little hazardous. I don't understand it.

I've checked OFF on the 'Brake Hold', thinking that was what was causing it, but no.
I've made sure 'one-pedal' was not engaged.
I've tried it while using 'Pro Trailer', and when not, and it seems to react the same unfortunate way.
Trying different 'modes' doesn't really change anything about the reaction.
I'm probably doing something wrong, but there's nothing on the screen that seems to tell me so.
It's almost like the truck is 'loading up', to advance suddenly, when you least expect it.

I think now that this is the VERY THING that the transport driving experienced when she first put the truck in REVERSE, to get it down and off the ramps of the truck: I saw it 'jump' suddenly, as though she had pressed the pedal too hard, and she then had to kick the brakes hard to control it... I almost thought at that moment she might lose my truck off the ramps(!) Crazy. Now, I'm experiencing something similar. The pedal does not want to allow you to 'feather' it, from a stop. It acts as though it must have 'so much' input before it reacts.
That's not right that's dangerous. I wander if the dealer has anyone trained on the Lightning.

[SOLVED]

o.k., so it seems that I missed one of the 'settings' that have to do with 'Auto Hold' and 'Reverse Braking Assistance'... the second one is the culprit, and unfortunately, Ford makes it hard to find...there are just too many screens and depths to deal with.

I think the idea is that you can put it into reverse, let your foot off the brake pedal, and the truck will not yet move. I'm not sure why I'd ever use such a feature, but I guess they have some ideas that some folks would like that, for whatever reason I don't know.

[SOLVED]

o.k., so it seems that I missed one of the 'settings' that have to do with 'Auto Hold' and 'Reverse Braking Assistance'... the second one is the culprit, and unfortunately, Ford makes it hard to find...there are just too many screens and depths to deal with.

I think the idea is that you can put it into reverse, let your foot off the brake pedal, and the truck will not yet move. I'm not sure why I'd ever use such a feature, but I guess they have some ideas that some folks would like that, for whatever reason I don't know.
I use the auto hold all the time in my Lincoln. When you come up to a red light and stop you can take you foot off the brakeand it hold you there tell you give it gas then it releases the brake it also works good if you have to stop on a hill it will hold you there on the hill tell you give gas.

yes, I like the auto-hold function in the Lightning and my wife's new Kia PHEV, but I was stumped by this 'reverse' hold - found it and finally turned it off.

Back