Main Use of Your F150 Lightning?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
Replacing my daily driver (2004 Forester 5-speed w/ turbo swap), and my pickup (1985 Toyota DLX 4x4). Getting older, and my clutch knee is crap. The Lightning hauls trash, and a$$!
Haha that's what I'm talking about!

Mach3law

Jul 30, 2021
Utah
Family truck, remote traveling worker, so most driving is to go to the store, church and airport when Lyft or Uber don’t have drivers in my remote location. Currently own a 2005 F-150 and she is still a beast other than a small window electrical issue. Been looking for a new truck recently and since Ford runs in my DNA I wanted to move more electric the lightning fit all my check boxes.

Jimbalf

Sep 5, 2021
Austin, TX
I use my current 2010 F150 King Ranch for local hauling for friends and family, but the real work is hauling a work/tool trailer to disaster recovery sites. I’ve been doing this monthly since Hurricane Harvey and will continue to do this with my Lightening. Charging in remote locations or small rural towns is a concern, but I’m sure I’ll figure a way.

Don weller

I use my current 2010 F150 King Ranch for local hauling for friends and family, but the real work is hauling a work/tool trailer to disaster recovery sites. I’ve been doing this monthly since Hurricane Harvey and will continue to do this with my Lightening. Charging in remote locations or small rural towns is a concern, but I’m sure I’ll figure a way.
I'll use mine for hunting, hauling garbage every two weeks and general transportation.

Don weller

I'll use mine for hunting, hauling garbage every two weeks and general transportation.
I have a chevy volt 2017 this is my third one, I also have a 2019 ram big horn which I will trade in. I only have 2800 miles on it very nice truck. I had a 2003 Dakota and a 2002 ford thunder bird ,which I bought new. My monthly driving routine cost me between 3000 and 3600 a year for gas.in 9 years of driving chevy volts, with the same routine I have not spent a 1000 dollars for gas. For me electric is the way to go. They are quiet, direct torke and less maintenance. For me it's the way to go.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
Commuting, errands, camping, and backup power for my house.

I considered getting a Powerwall, but that can only power my house for one day and it costs more than $10k. The Ford lighting should be able to power my house for a week even if my solar does not generate much. So the home backup is worth more than $10k by itself.

The power outlets and the 2000lbs payload capacity will be great for camping.

The trunk will be great for errands.

The electric drivetrain will be great for commuting, especially since I can charge at work.

Don weller

Commuting, errands, camping, and backup power for my house.

I considered getting a Powerwall, but that can only power my house for one day and it costs more than $10k. The Ford lighting should be able to power my house for a week even if my solar does not generate much. So the home backup is worth more than $10k by itself.

The power outlets and the 2000lbs payload capacity will be great for camping.

The trunk will be great for errands.

The electric drivetrain will be great for commuting, especially since I can charge at work.
You mention a power wall at 10k that's a large piece of change. How big is the power wall and what brand is it.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
You mention a power wall at 10k that's a large piece of change. How big is the power wall and what brand is it.
I got several quotes, including for a Tesla Powerwall (13.8kWh) and for an Enphase battery (10kWh). The price with installation seems to come out to about $16k regardless of the brand. There is a 26% tax credit that brings that down to about $12k. The installation is probably about half the cost.

Don weller

I got several quotes, including for a Tesla Powerwall (13.8kWh) and for an Enphase battery (10kWh). The price with installation seems to come out to about $16k regardless of the brand. There is a 26% tax credit that brings that down to about $12k. The installation is probably about half the cost.
Before I would do that I would go with F-150 lightning, it will do the job and it's not a one trick pony 😊

LEHuskey

Sep 9, 2021
Washington
Daily driver and to tow my boat for me. I just sold my Ram 2500 and camper and will be trading in my Fiesta. Kind of down sizing everything.

I'm thinking of a canopy and bed rug in my lightning so I can throw sleeping bag and some supplies in there incase I feel like spending the night in the woods or by the lake. The "frunk" is an awesome addition so I don't have to worry about putting stuff in the bed and have it in my way.

Can't wait! Especially since I don't have a tow vehicle anymore.
I've been thinking about how I will be using my Ford Lightning compared to my current trucks. It certainly won't replace my trip vehicle needed for towing my camper (F-250 Diesel). However I think it will be a fun truck for general commuting, day trips & running errands. How's everyone else plan on using it?

FunWDirt

Sep 17, 2021
Georgia, USA
Mine will be general commuting. A major feature for me is the V2H "home generator" capability. Where I live the power goes out a lot and I rely on the internet for work. So, I have to run outside pull out the generator, start it up, run in an extension cable to power my modem (it's almost always just power that goes and not communication lines) and to my wife's coffee maker. This way, I will just have a transfer switch and reverse the power without ever opening the garage door. :)

Last edited:

Kogi

Sep 5, 2021
San Antonio
Guilty admission, this will be my first truck. I will be trading my 4runner for it. Just trying to choose between the pro or the xlt. Using it for typical family use. Also, looking to build an aquaponics set up so I'll need the cargo space. Furthermore, I live in Texas so if the grid goes down again we can use it to power the home.

Don weller

Guilty admission, this will be my first truck. I will be trading my 4runner for it. Just trying to choose between the pro or the xlt. Using it for typical family use. Also, looking to build an aquaponics set up so I'll need the cargo space. Furthermore, I live in Texas so if the grid goes down again we can use it to power the home.
I am wondering which battery pac your interest in. I am not sure you can get the extended range battery in the pro, if you're not a contractor. The extended range battery would cost you 10,000,how ever the extended range battery in the XLT will cost you 7,000

FunWDirt

Sep 17, 2021
Georgia, USA
Adding to what @Don weller said, you won't be able to get the extended battery in the Pro unless you have a commercial fleet account. You'll need to get in at the XLT to have that option. That's at least what they are saying at the moment.

Don weller

I am wondering which battery pac your interest in. I am not sure you can get the extended range battery in the pro, if you're not a contractor. The extended range battery would cost you 10,000,how ever the extended range battery in the XLT will cost you 7,000
I am interested in the XLT, I know it costs more than the pro but it has features you won't get on the pro. That's my personal opinion, I like cloth seats and carpet plus the other equipment That's standard on the XLR

I think the exter range battery.

There is only one body stile for all the models.