never dreamed a Lightening could be this easy

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
I missed the 200K cutoff by the time I knew I wanted this truck. I registered a build in Ford's cloud which resulted in me being pestered by a local salesman by phone and on email. When I spoke to this person, it was obvious he knew nothing about this vehicle. I've since confirmed that this entire dealership is clueless.

I stopped in out of the blue one day and saw my Lariat long-range, max tow package sitting on the showroom floor -- in my color! Long story short, I bought the truck for MSRP with a $5K deposit applicable to the purchase. They wanted six months to keep it as a mannequin. I said fine if you don't put more than 300 mi. on it. I have a formal PO.

They told me MSRP is less than invoice. I have no idea if that's true. I suspect my dealer is not the only one that will sell the floor model. Truth be told, the DC fast charging infrastructure is so poor today, that waiting six months is no sweat.

I've been producing 25% more elec than I consume from my PV array for 15 years. My util owes me 2 fill years of usage. My Tesla only needs a little. The Lightening will help me settle up with the power company -- my elec is free.

Does anyone know if it would be foolish to set up this truck for a gooseneck trailer. I have a three horse, but could skinny down to 2. I'm not sure I see myself plugging that rig into an electrifyamerica station. Any idea of whether I could even get 150 miles on a full charge?

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
150 miles is doable if you are conservative with speed and the terrain is not too great - it'll be factored also by the certain weight of the trailer and the 'cargo/horses'... my local dealer received the same LIGHTNING earlier this month, immediately called me for a test drive, as a PRO orderholder, and wants $20k over MSRP to hold it. Sorry, I'll stick with my PRO, coming soon... : )

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I missed the 200K cutoff by the time I knew I wanted this truck. I registered a build in Ford's cloud which resulted in me being pestered by a local salesman by phone and on email. When I spoke to this person, it was obvious he knew nothing about this vehicle. I've since confirmed that this entire dealership is clueless.

I stopped in out of the blue one day and saw my Lariat long-range, max tow package sitting on the showroom floor -- in my color! Long story short, I bought the truck for MSRP with a $5K deposit applicable to the purchase. They wanted six months to keep it as a mannequin. I said fine if you don't put more than 300 mi. on it. I have a formal PO.

They told me MSRP is less than invoice. I have no idea if that's true. I suspect my dealer is not the only one that will sell the floor model. Truth be told, the DC fast charging infrastructure is so poor today, that waiting six months is no sweat.

I've been producing 25% more elec than I consume from my PV array for 15 years. My util owes me 2 fill years of usage. My Tesla only needs a little. The Lightening will help me settle up with the power company -- my elec is free.

Does anyone know if it would be foolish to set up this truck for a gooseneck trailer. I have a three horse, but could skinny down to 2. I'm not sure I see myself plugging that rig into an electrifyamerica station. Any idea of whether I could even get 150 miles on a full charge?
Well, there is yet another example of the reservation holders getting passed over! I'm happy for you, but why weren't the holders of reservations given first right of refusal to purchase this truck?

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Well, there is yet another example of the reservation holders getting passed over! I'm happy for you, but why weren't the holders of reservations given first right of refusal to purchase this truck?
I was wondering the same thing. I would be surprised if there weren't reservation holders in my area.

Perhaps "mannequin " models can't be used to fill orders. I posted this thinking that it might be useful to reservation holders who might approach their local dealers about buying their showroom display unit and taking delivery down the road. The dealership didn't care that I didn't have a reservation.

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
150 miles is doable if you are conservative with speed and the terrain is not too great - it'll be factored also by the certain weight of the trailer and the 'cargo/horses'... my local dealer received the same LIGHTNING earlier this month, immediately called me for a test drive, as a PRO orderholder, and wants $20k over MSRP to hold it. Sorry, I'll stick with my PRO, coming soon... : )
Thanks for the advice. Your dealer sounds like the type of person that Farley was talking about when he said EVs would be sold directly at non-negotiable prices. One of the best thing about my Tesla experience is staying out of the slimy clutches of a dealer.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021

Kudo for you You are a lucky guy. I am glad for you.

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Kudo for you You are a lucky guy. I am glad for you.
I can't believe what I stumbled on to. I've gotten the impression that some dealers are marking up Lightnings that are not pre-sold. I feel lucky indeed that my dealer doesn't have that perspective. I have no idea about whether their statement that, "MSRP is below our invoice" is accurate. If so, they may just be trying to offset carrying costs.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
I've never believed any advertising or statements from dealers who proclaim "at invoice!" or "below invoice!", as that is just bunk, and what Judge Judy affectionately refers to as 'puffery' : ) It's simply sales talk.

No business stays in business selling anything LESS than they are paying for it. No matter how you do the 'math', the dealer comes out on top. Whether a back-end incentive for the dealer, whether a 'bonus', etc., it matters not how they say it. This is why folks don't appreciate dealers as much - there's too much 'talk', but, since it's a sales business, there will inevitably be puffery.

OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
I've never believed any advertising or statements from dealers who proclaim "at invoice!" or "below invoice!", as that is just bunk, and what Judge Judy affectionately refers to as 'puffery' : ) It's simply sales talk.

No business stays in business selling anything LESS than they are paying for it. No matter how you do the 'math', the dealer comes out on top. Whether a back-end incentive for the dealer, whether a 'bonus', etc., it matters not how they say it. This is why folks don't appreciate dealers as much - there's too much 'talk', but, since it's a sales business, there will inevitably be puffery.
Thanks.

Auto dealers are commonly considered puffery masters. Most people expect a lot of hogwash when dealing with them. I run for the exits when salespeople start blathering. I so welcome Farley's indication that electronic vehicles will be sold directly at non-negotiable prices. I'm very impressed by him. His remarks at the quarterly earnings call a coupe of days ago were prescient (https://shareholder.ford.com/investors/financials-and-filings/default.aspx). He clearly believes his company is in the midst of the biggest transformation in its history.

One of the best things about my relationship with Tesla is the direct interaction. It is a joy to own a vehicle made by a company that does not see service as a profit center. Zero come-ons; no promo pitches. It's bliss.

Mini2nut

Feb 3, 2022
CA
Our Tesla Model Y purchase experience was awesome.

Place an order online, receive a link to transfer funds/finance near your delivery date, receive a text to pick up the vehicle, go to a local delivery center and sign minimum paperwork.

I hate the fact that I have to deal with a salesman at a traditional dealership to pickup my Lightning next month.

The worst part? The dreaded finance office where they pitch extended warranties, undercoating, theft protection, paint sealant, etc.

Last edited:
OP
J

jarratt

Jul 26, 2022
NM
Our Tesla Model Y purchase experience was awesome.

Place an order online, receive a link to transfer funds/finance near your delivery date, receive a text to pick up the vehicle, go to a local delivery center and sign minimum paperwork.

I hate the fact that I have to deal with a salesman at a traditional dealership to pickup my Lightning next month.

The worst part? The dreaded finance office where they pitch extended warranties, undercoating, theft protection, paint sealant, etc.
I hear you -- it's awful! The incentives in the dealership world are designed to extract money from you with the least valuable goods & services generating the highest compensation. In Tesla world, service is not a profit center -- what counts is taking care of issues quickly and cheaply.

I think Farley gets this. Few realize the hostility that underpins the relationship between dealers and the OEMs they represent. The franchise laws in most states are a grave deserve to consumers. In NM, Tesla has to place its facilities in "sovereign nations" (tribal lands) to get around the fascist dealership regime.