Some suggestions to ease the crunch in the demand for Lightnings

f150-lightning-demand-ford-2022.jpg

For starters, Ford needs to be more forthcoming about where they are and where they are likely to be for the rest of the year. This article suggests Ford is working to expand the supply of Lightnings:

“With nearly 200,000 reservations, our teams are working hard and creatively to break production constraints to get more F-150 Lightning trucks into the hands of our customers,” said Kumar Galhotra, president of The Americas & International Markets Group, Ford Motor Company. “The reality is clear: People are ready for an all-electric F-150 and Ford is pulling out all the stops to scale our operations and increase production capacity.”

For those of us waiting for a LIghtning, knowing where we stand in the queue and how much progress is being made in expanding production to meet the demand would make waiting easier. This will become critical as the release date for the world's ugliest car/truck comes closer. There is only so much that can be done given resource constraints and the need to maintain quality control. But it would help to know if Ford expects to be able to produce more Lightnings in 2022 than the 15,000 reported by Reuters.

I haven't seen any articles about this but have to wonder if offering the Lightning's Intelligent Backup Power and maybe an Onboard charger power (input/output) socket discretely tucked away somewhere on the Mach E and other models in Ford's EV lineup wouldn't ease the demand for Lightnings. I hope Ford is considering something like this for future releases! Imagine a pickup AND a passenger car sharing an 80 amp charging station with 200 kWh of electricity tucked away in your garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything you suggest. I did my reservation that evening and would like to know where I stand. If nothing else, I would purchase a gas version F150 and look at Lightning again when availability is more common.

I agree with everything you suggest. I did my reservation that evening and would like to know where I stand. If nothing else, I would purchase a gas version F150 and look at Lightning again when availability is more common.
If Ford dealers offer not to charge ADM for Lightning reservation holders when buying an ICE F150 instead, that could reduce the backlog. However if the choice is paying $10k over MSRP for the ICE F150 or paying MSRP for the Lightning most people will still wait for the Lightning.

Sometime Ford offers a PCO or Private cash offering. I was wondering if anyone got one.

Back