Time for Ford to call in its markers ( Only 15,000 available at launch? )

v2hman

Aug 29, 2021
tucson
This may be good news for all except the most enthusiastic first adopters:
"Interestingly, AN says the second-generation electric truck is already earmarked for a late 2025 launch and it will have an annual sales target of nearly 160,000 units."
For now, I'm thinking it is time for Ford to find out how many of those 120,000 reservations are serious and start taking orders with non-refundable deposits. If my number doesn't come up, I am going to start more seriously looking at the 2022 VW ID.4. Anyone heard anything?

OP
V

v2hman

Aug 29, 2021
tucson
If you want an SUV order one. It is not a truck.
I want a mobile PowerWall. If I have to take it in the form of a truck, so be it. What is it - a battery 10+x the size of a PowerWall at only 3 or 4x the price? Speaking of price, I can't help wondering if those of us who have to wait will end up paying more than the advertised (rumored?) price of $39k?

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
I want a mobile PowerWall. If I have to take it in the form of a truck, so be it. What is it - a battery 10+x the size of a PowerWall at only 3 or 4x the price? Speaking of price, I can't help wondering if those of us who have to wait will end up paying more than the advertised (rumored?) price of $39k?
The vast majority of orders are doing to be for XLT or higher trims. I would also expect a lot of people to want the ER battery and that battery is not an option for the retail version of the Pro. XLT starts at $53k.

1st ford

Jul 8, 2021
Texas
Our biggest hurdles will still be the chip shortages in 2022. I'll be as old as Yoda by the time I get mine. :)
I came from the chip industry supporting Auto, though it is true there is a chip shortage most chips are motor and sensor related. On and electric car I assume you will need far fewer chips. Not and engineer but would be curious how many chips and modules are required in an electric car.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
I came from the chip industry supporting Auto, though it is true there is a chip shortage most chips are motor and sensor related. On and electric car I assume you will need far fewer chips. Not and engineer but would be curious how many chips and modules are required in an electric car.
Watching the Sandy Munro teardown of the mach-e and the id.4 it looks like the legacy automakers are chosing to use many more modules than Tesla. I am assuming mostly because this is what they are used to doing and also they can use parts that they already have.