Anyone concerned this is a first generation F-150 Lightning truck?

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
I've been wondering if it is wise or not to buy the first generation of the F-150 Lightning (electric), convince me to buy or wait. I really want to buy, but I've heard others say, I should wait for next generation.

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I've been wondering if it is wise or not to buy the first generation of the F-150 Lightning (electric), convince me to buy or wait. I really want to buy, but I've heard others say, I should wait for next generation.
No need to worry. If you don't have a reservation in you'll be waiting till 2024 to get one anyway. But if you happen to find one on a dealer lot buy it. Ford is learning a lot from the MME on battery management and software updates. Remember it is basically an ICE F-150 with fewer parts.

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
No need to worry. If you don't have a reservation in you'll be waiting till 2024 to get one anyway. But if you happen to find one on a dealer lot buy it. Ford is learning a lot from the MME on battery management and software updates. Remember it is basically an ICE F-150 with fewer parts.
I do have a reservation, I reserved it on the day it was announced. I was really hoping the battery would support 400+ miles instead of 300. 300 is definitely the minimum I'd go for. The 230, is a no-go for me. Thx for your insight.

LEHuskey

Sep 9, 2021
Washington
I bought a Honda Insight the first year they came out. Nice little car that got 68-70 mpg. But I was driving down the intestate and the passenger window just fell out of the track... got it fixed but it happened a couple more times. Then the plastic trim inside started falling off in various places. I swore I'd never buy another new model vehicle the first year they came out.

Now having said that, the F-150 has been out for donkeys years so I am confident that most of the bugs are our and anything that does come up, Ford will fix.

xandalf

Oct 5, 2021
Tennessee, USA
It has crossed my mind, not being first. But in reality mistakes are made regardless of the gen. Look at chevy Volt, Bolt and Second gen Bolt. You'd think they'd figure out the kinks through several gen Volts, but here we are and second gen Bolts are having issues to have to stop sales... So at the end of the day I'm ok with being first.

OP
T

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
It has crossed my mind, not being first. But in reality mistakes are made regardless of the gen. Look at chevy Volt, Bolt and Second gen Bolt. You'd think they'd figure out the kinks through several gen Volts, but here we are and second gen Bolts are having issues to have to stop sales... So at the end of the day I'm ok with being first.
Good point, I do believe, the F-150 Lightning should be even more reliable than the ICE F-150's because of the fact there are less parts and the main other tech has been around for a very long time.