Anything more on a range extender for the Lightning?

FOOLSTER

Jul 3, 2021
Oak Ridge TN
I am thinking that the range extenders will come from third party sources. It would be nice if there was a charge port in the frunk so that third parties could design range extenders that would fit in the frunk and work properly while driving.

Once the trucks start to actually ship I think it will not take anyone too long to figure out how to plug a second charge port into the truck's wiring so there is a second charge port in the frunk or the bed that you may use a charge port controller to hook up an external generator.

TFLTruck used a Ford PowerBoost truck to tow a Chevy Spark in a trailer. They used the PowerBoost 7.2 kilowatt electrical connector to charge the Spark while the PowerBoost was towing it.

The BMW i3 may be ordered with a 264 pound range extender which is simply a two cylinder gas engine with a small fuel tank that functions as a generator to extend your range. However, it is not big enough to power the car, so it only extends the range by about 80 miles. As in once you reach the end of your normal range the extender has only added enough power to go 80 more miles. So the normal range is 160 miles. With the extender you have a range of 240 miles before you run out of power.

Last edited:
OP
S

steven

Nov 26, 2021
tucson
The BMW i3 may be ordered with a 264 pound range extender which is simply a two cylinder gas engine with a small fuel tank that functions as a generator to extend your range. However, it is not big enough to power the car, so it only extends the range by about 80 miles.
It seemed like a good idea at the time and maybe it still is. But something as big as a Lightning would have to have a large gas tank to go along with that range extender. Having to stop every 100 or so miles for gas doesn't buy you very much. Providing you can even safely do it, using next year's limited bed space for gas wouldn't leave much room for hauling. I guess the question for people contemplating long trips in their Lightnings is how much of the time they would want to haul things in the truck's bed.

Shadyant

Dec 2, 2021
Florida
At one time it was hinted one might be forthcoming.
Agreed that it’ll likely be 3rd parties who release them.

I saw a company on Shark Tank last year with a prototype extender that fit in the trunk of the Tesla and they stated they wanted to make them for all EVs as an option to reduce range anxiety.

I sure wish I remembered the name of that company and if they’re still in business.