Charger adapter to j1772

SASF91

Oct 15, 2021
Augusta, ME
I have the level 2 Ford home charger for my Lightning. I believe this is a css charger. I also have a plug in Prius which takes what I believe is a j1772 charger. I am finding that there is no adapter to put on the Ford home charger so I can use this level 2 charger for the Prius. Is this correct? I currently charge the Prius by plugging it into the truck but that is level 1 charging. The Prius can take level 2 using a j1772 charger if I had an adapter

Kstype

Jan 22, 2022
Pennsylvania
The Lightning came with a 30A Ford Mobile Charger (120V/240V) which has a J1772 connector. The Lightning has a CCS type 1 port which means the upper portion is the J1772 and the lower two ports are for the DC fast Charger when using public fast chargers. If you have the Ford Charge Station Pro and the Intelligent Backup Power - that would use the two lower large pins on the CCS connector to provide power to the house.

So providing your Prius can take 30 amps the J1772 connector for the Ford Mobile Charger provides should work with it as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
OP
S

SASF91

Oct 15, 2021
Augusta, ME
The mobile charger they provide probably would work, but what I am trying to do is put an adapter on the Ford Home Charger so that will fit the j1772 port on the prius. The two dc ports on the Ford Home Charger get in the way of the top j1772 portion of the Home Charger fitting on the prius- or anything else. We thought our Home Charger would be able to charge other vehicles, but because of the two dc ports, without an adapter the Home Charging station can only charge the lightning. I think no such adapter exists, but I was hoping I was wrong and someone on here would have a solution for me other than installing another charger next to the Ford Home Charger that has a normal j1772 plug.

Kstype

Jan 22, 2022
Pennsylvania
The mobile charger they provide probably would work, but what I am trying to do is put an adapter on the Ford Home Charger so that will fit the j1772 port on the prius. The two dc ports on the Ford Home Charger get in the way of the top j1772 portion of the Home Charger fitting on the prius- or anything else. We thought our Home Charger would be able to charge other vehicles, but because of the two dc ports, without an adapter the Home Charging station can only charge the lightning. I think no such adapter exists, but I was hoping I was wrong and someone on here would have a solution for me other than installing another charger next to the Ford Home Charger that has a normal j1772 plug.
So it sounds like you have the Ford Charge Station Pro - that is the one with the full CCS plug on it. If you did not order the basic Ford Mobile Charge Station then you would need to buy one.

My 2023 Lariat ER came with both included.

MickeyWNC

Nov 3, 2023
North Carolina
I have the level 2 Ford home charger for my Lightning...
I have the same "problem" - wanting to use my Ford Charge Station Pro to also charge my wife's Rav4 Prime.
I am not using the charger's DC pins to "power my home" - so it's essentially an 80A J1772.
So far I havent found an adaptor. I think they arent made because of the DC pins - manufactures think they are always used.
The only probable solution I found so far is a getting a J1772 extension cord. Saw one on AliEx for $76 rated for 32A.
Might need to dial down the FCSP output to 32A (Position 3) - which is the Maximum the Toyota onboard charger can handle.