Ford F-150 Lightning EV vs F150 Gas Truck Savings

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
f150-vs-lightning-savings.jpg

For anyone wanting some real-world numbers/examples on EV cost savings, I have put this together.

Scenario #1 - base estimated range of 300 miles (according to ford this is with 1000lbs payload) and current national gas price avg of $3.29/gallon

Scenario #2 - estimated range of 400 miles (based on the payload info and some reports of real-world test I think this might be a pretty good guess for the average daily driver) plus an assumption that gas will potentially rise to the $4.29 range mid 2022 and beyond with inflation and the global economy ramping up.

Assumptions:
MPG for the ICE F-150 factored at 75% hwy and 25% city (this is my typically driving habits so that's what i used)
My electricity rate of 0.08897 per kWh - yes, my electricity is dirt cheap. I live in east Tennessee and electricity is subsidized by TVA.
25K miles per year

Maintenance cost for the ICE F-150 was from google (not including tires). I estimated the EV on, essentially, brakes, rotors, and misc fluids (washer fluid, brake fluid, etc.) again, not including tires.

This was a posted on our Facebook group and thought I was share it here. All credit goes to Brian E for coming up with the chart/info.

GOFAST

Oct 19, 2021
Annapolis, MD
View attachment 245

For anyone wanting some real-world numbers/examples on EV cost savings, I have put this together.

Scenario #1 - base estimated range of 300 miles (according to ford this is with 1000lbs payload) and current national gas price avg of $3.29/gallon

Scenario #2 - estimated range of 400 miles (based on the payload info and some reports of real-world test I think this might be a pretty good guess for the average daily driver) plus an assumption that gas will potentially rise to the $4.29 range mid 2022 and beyond with inflation and the global economy ramping up.

Assumptions:
MPG for the ICE F-150 factored at 75% hwy and 25% city (this is my typically driving habits so that's what i used)
My electricity rate of 0.08897 per kWh - yes, my electricity is dirt cheap. I live in east Tennessee and electricity is subsidized by TVA.
25K miles per year

Maintenance cost for the ICE F-150 was from google (not including tires). I estimated the EV on, essentially, brakes, rotors, and misc fluids (washer fluid, brake fluid, etc.) again, not including tires.

This was a posted on our Facebook group and thought I was share it here. All credit goes to Brian E for coming up with the chart/info.
That’s Great if you’re electricity is extremely cheap. The math changes if you’re using electrify America or similar charging stations.

099C978B-3E38-4883-8822-05939E736102.png

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
View attachment 245

Assumptions:
25K miles per year

Thanks for posting - good stuff.

I would suggest this is in the optimist range for many people. Given a rough cost comparison of an ICE F150 and a Lightning (~$20k), the payback is 4-5 years, using the data above. .

A few things I can think of that will decrease the cost savings include:

-As mentioned, pay-to-charge services have a significantly higher cost, as GOFAST points out, so determining what proportion of charging will occur away from the home should be considered
- Higher electricity costs (I pay about $0.12/kWh) and, if you believe a past president, capping emission levels would cause electricity costs to "necessarily skyrocket"
- Annual road-use fees required of high-efficiency vehicles (ICE vehicles pay it in the gas tax)

Personally, I don't see the economic advantage of the Lightning over an ICE F150. The motivation to own one must come from elsewhere.

Loss of EV credits (likely by the end of the year, under existing law) will, obviously, adversely affect the calculations. Conversely, improving the EV credits and making them more permanent (remove the vehicle volume cap) will help to shorten the payback period.