Google 9 to 5 for Lightning

Uggh, I hate Android OS; I sure hope you can still run Apple Car Play - anyone know?
Uggh, I hate Android OS; I sure hope you can still run Apple Car Play - anyone know?
Did you watch the video

Which is better Android Auto or CarPlay?

User Interface: CarPlay Wins

It's more intuitive, more attractive, and more pleasant to use. Android Auto is perfectly functional, but it doesn't have the same level of polish. CarPlay also supports more customization of its looks, most of which can be changed from the infotainment screen itself.Jul 24, 2021

Last edited:

Watch Video
Thank goodness. I would have kept my Mach-E and dropped the Lightning if Android-auto had been the cars OS.

The fact that you log into your car using a Google account is unnerving. As if Google doesn’t have their fingers in everything else people do online?

My Lightning unfortunately will be my last Ford for this exact reason. Also why I’d no longer would get a Volvo or Polestar.

Thank goodness. I would have kept my Mach-E and dropped the Lightning if Android-auto had been the cars OS.

The fact that you log into your car using a Google account is unnerving. As if Google doesn’t have their fingers in everything else people do online?

My Lightning unfortunately will be my last Ford for this exact reason. Also why I’d no longer would get a Volvo or Polestar.
Agree Google is an evil company, we need to avoid them at all costs! Uggh, if Ford ends up using this, I'm done with Ford - sorry!! I cannot stand Android and Google!!!

The way I see it their is apple carplay and Android auto and now Google has come out with the new and much improved Android Automotive and works better with Apple

“In fact, the biggest benefit of Android Automotive running natively on a head unit is that it offers deeper integration with Google services.”

Which is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Thus… No more Ford 😔

“In fact, the biggest benefit of Android Automotive running natively on a head unit is that it offers deeper integration with Google services.”

Which is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Thus… No more Ford 😔
Ok I get it. You do not own Google stock and don't like the company. I am just trying to explain the deference's between the OS. I have a Iphone 13 and I have never had an android phone so I don't know how this new system will work with Iphone but they say it will work fine. I don't know what the difference between ford using amazon Alexa and Ford using Google to operate the air, windows, radio and lights

I fill Apple is all in my life too.......So what is the difference.

Last edited:
I've been in the high-tech industry for decades. Operating System wars and debates are as old as the first computer (ENIAC). Rather it is more like a religious debate. There are those who are fanatical about one, others on the other side, and neither will rarely ever be convinced to change. As a long-time engineer, I've always hated the closed Apple system, so I'm fine with Android. But I understand others have a very different view.

All of you who will swear off Ford when they move to a Google platform will just help me move up on the reservation list! :)

I've been in the high-tech industry for decades. Operating System wars and debates are as old as the first computer (ENIAC). Rather it is more like a religious debate. There are those who are fanatical about one, others on the other side, and neither will rarely ever be convinced to change. As a long-time engineer, I've always hated the closed Apple system, so I'm fine with Android. But I understand others have a very different view.

All of you who will swear off Ford when they move to a Google platform will just help me move up on the reservation list! :)
True! LOL; like your viewpoint on getting moved up on your reservation list!

Ok I get it. You do not own Google stock and don't like the company. I am just trying to explain the deference's between the OS. I have a Iphone 13 and I have never had an android phone so I don't know how this new system will work with Iphone but they say it will work fine. I don't know what the difference between ford using amazon Alexa and Ford using Google to operate the air, windows, radio and lights

The difference between the current system (utilizing Alexa) and the new Android Automotive system is that the current one uses Alexa as part of the system (and I have turned that off) In the new Android/Google IS the system… you can’t turn it off.

That means that ANY data collected by the system - apart form the obvious data collection while using the voice commands - will be accessible to Google.

Say you’re always speeding (the car knows how fast you’re driving and the speed limit wherever you are) or if you drive “aggressively” - Google can sell that data (as they do with all data they collect) to the insurance companies and all of a sudden you premium is double.

The example above is actually a good idea from a business perspective from the insurance companies and could hopefully result in better driving. (But that’s not the point)

Google will know where you drive and when (if one has an Android phone this is already the case) they can sell that to the data brokers as well, and soon you might see targeted adds on your devices for Coffee at McDonald’s just before you take your morning commute (with the usual stop at Starbucks).

Some people don’t mind this kind of data mining/surveillance… I do.

I have an iPhone as well, so one can argue that Apple has all the same information about me, as Google has for an android user. True, but I’d rather trust my data with a company that has a higher standard for data-privacy and where I am not the product.

I’m sure that Apple CarPlay will work great on Android Automotive. But there’s just too much other information being transferred to Google as well.

Last edited:

It seems that it’s worse than religion 🙈 😂

As a tech-person myself I can appreciate the frustration with the closed and limiting Apple ecosystem.

I’m just not sure how many people actually realize that for Google and Facebook THEY (their data) are the actual product.

As for the reservation list… I do apologize, but you won’t move up in line by my doing. I won’t give up my Lightning, because I’m getting a 22 and thus the “old” system 😉

Last edited:
So I did find this article about CarPlay running on Android Automotive; so hopefully in the 2023 Lightning we will still be able to use CarPlay!
Android Automotive Cars Get CarPlay Support Because Really Why Not
Don’t worry. CarPlay will definitely be available in MY23. They’re not taking that away.
They’re just switching the system operating “behind” CarPlay.
And with Android Automotive being better integrated with CarPlay, you might actually be able to control a lot more with Siri than you can in Sync4A

Don’t worry. CarPlay will definitely be available in MY23. They’re not taking that away.
They’re just switching the system operating “behind” CarPlay.
And with Android Automotive being better integrated with CarPlay, you might actually be able to control a lot more with Siri than you can in Sync4A
Thanks Peter, I certainly hope so; I'm not a fan of Google.

Bottom line is Apple, Amazon, Google are all sophisticated tech companies that have the resources to make software better than Ford. If you have a cell phone, there's no hiding and ALL of these cars run on computers so if you don't want Big Brother in your car, hang on to that 1980 Ford Courier.

Bottom line is Apple, Amazon, Google are all sophisticated tech companies that have the resources to make software better than Ford. If you have a cell phone, there's no hiding and ALL of these cars run on computers so if you don't want Big Brother in your car, hang on to that 1980 Ford Courier.
That is a very true statement

Back