Hello, all. :)

FunWDirt

Sep 17, 2021
Georgia, USA
So, this won't technically be the first EV I have owned. I've owned a Tesla Model 3 Performance. ....for about 12 hours. That's how well that went. It wasn't all bad. I gotta tell you, that thing was a ROCKET. ...just a bug laden one. After the initial exhilaration of 0-60 in three seconds wore off, it just wasn't going to work. The frunk just opening on its own at random was the icing on the cake. ...but there were a lot of little issues. We read on it and this wasn't an isolated thing. So, we took it back and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee L. Love that thing. This was 2 weeks ago. That was to be the end of the car buying experience for a bit.

We do love the idea of EVs. Just had to find one that fit us. ...then the Ford F150 Lightning came across my news feed in a way that I actually read on it.

The projected range with 1000 lbs payload got my attention. ...then I saw the clencher.

With the extended range option and the Pro Charger, I can reverse power and use the truck as a whole home generator. I live in the mountains and have power outages a LOT. I also work from home and depend on my internet connection. Now, it's usually just the power that goes so if I get my generator outside hooked up and running power to the modem, I can work. This is so important that were about to order a whole home backup generator. The downside there is, well, the cost, but also we'd have to get a larger propane tank. ...we'd have to purchase it versus the current rental and bury it. That's several thousand more on top of the almost 10K for the generator and hook up. ...and, finally, if we got one and moved we'd have to leave it behind and possibly buy yet another one somewhere else!

I was already looking at the lack of buying gas as an upside but having a mobile whole home generator sealed it. I tried putting in my reservation Monday. ...but the site was down. Tried again Tuesday... but the site was down. I called Ford and they took a look. It finally came back up Wednesday morning and put in my reservation right away.

I always like new car days but it's also a muted excitement as the new one doesn't really do much beyond what I traded in . This one, though, this one is exciting all around.

I am in my late 40's and grew up in a home full of motorheads. Many of my friends were, too. Ultimately, I see a vehicle as a tool. So, moving from gas to electric isn't so much about making a statement to the world about me being for this or against that. I am saying this met my needs and wants more than that and nothing more.

I look forward to the information about the F150 Lightning as it comes in. I am very likely looking at the Lariat or Platinum trim.

Last edited:

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
So, this won't technically be the first EV I have owned. I've owned a Tesla Model 3 Performance. ....for about 12 hours. That's how well that went. It wasn't all bad. I gotta tell you, that thing was a ROCKET. ...just a bug laden one. After the initial exhilaration of 0-60 in three seconds wore off, it just wasn't going to work. The frunk just opening on its own at random was the icing on the cake. ...but there were a lot of little issues. We read on it and this wasn't an isolated thing. So, we took it back and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee L. Love that thing. This was 2 weeks ago. That was to be the end of the car buying experience for a bit.

We do love the idea of EVs. Just had to find one that fit us. ...then the Ford F150 Lightning came across my news feed in a way that I actually read on it.

The projected range with 1000 lbs payload got my attention. ...then I saw the clencher.

With the extended range option and the Pro Charger, I can reverse power and use the truck as a whole home generator. I live in the mountains and have power outages a LOT. I also work from home and depend on my internet connection. Now, it's usually just the power that goes so if I get my generator outside hooked up and running power to the modem, I can work. This is so important that were about to order a whole home backup generator. The downside there is, well, the cost, but also we'd have to get a larger propane tank. ...we'd have to purchase it versus the current rental and bury it. That's several thousand more on top of the almost 10K for the generator and hook up. ...and, finally, if we got one and moved we'd have to leave it behind and possibly buy yet another one somewhere else!

I was already looking at the lack of buying gas as an upside but having a mobile whole home generator sealed it. I tried putting in my reservation Monday. ...but the site was down. Tried again Tuesday... but the site was down. I called Ford and they took a look. It finally came back up Wednesday morning and put in my reservation right away.

I always like new car days but it's also a muted excitement as the new one doesn't really do much beyond what I traded in . This one, though, this one is exciting all around.

I am in my late 40's and grew up in a home full of motorheads. Many of my friends were, too. Ultimately, I see a vehicle as a tool. So, moving from gas to electric isn't so much about making a statement to the world about me being for this or against that. I am saying this met my needs and wants more than that and nothing more.

I look forward to the information about the F150 Lightning as it comes in. I am very likely looking at the Lariat or Platinum trim.
Your comments are very important. Your reason for considering an electric vehicle are important to get this idea rolling for millions of new EV owners. I am really excited to get my lightning. Always wanted an electric truck as my first option, always drove trucks from my first to just before I purchased my Tesla Model 3 long range. I got it so early, I didn't have the option to get a performance model. I am so sorry you had so many problems with your Tesla. I have had mine over 3 years almost 40k and not any issues with it at all. This will be my first Ford but I do truly love the F150 model in general.

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like the Lightning will be a good solution for you. I hope Ford has better QC than Tesla with the first production run.

Ljames

Sep 14, 2021
Killeen, Texas

I agree. While conscious of environmental impacts, this truck meets my needs. After power failures in TX last year, we were going to put in a home generator; the vehicle-to-home option meets a need. I spend about $450 in gasoline every month in my Chevy 2500, it would be nice to wrap that cost into a vehicle that I can daily drive for about 1/4 of that cost.

We went on an 1300 mile round trip this last weekend. While I was able to map charging stations throughout my trip, range anxiety might have me using my ICE vehicle until the infrastructure is better. Although BlueCruise would've been nice to have.

Looking to max out an XLT or jump to the Lariat depending on the final cost (with rebates/tax incentives).

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas

Depending on how much sun your property gets you can go solar with battery backup for way less than the cost of the Lariat or Platinum trims.

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021

It's a shame you had issues with your model 3. I have had mine since July 2018 and it's been stellar. I average about 15k a year with it traveled across state and out of state and it just works.