XLT High: $68,474
XLT High / Extended Range: $80,974
Lariat: $74,474
Lariat Extended Range: $85,974
Platinum Extended Range: $96,874

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
the article or title is just misleading, as many folks confuse 'order' with 'reservation', and they don't even understand what they are even writing or commenting about. there is nothing that was 'launched'. there are no 'new' reservations. there are no 'new' orders. Ford only allowed PRIOR order holders, who deferred to order a 2023 model since their '22 choice was already sold out, to place an order, period.
Now, when the 'wave 3'(BRAND NEW CUSTOMERS), as some refer to it, comes up in early/mid September, that will be for those who had placed a Reservation back in 2021, and will NOW get a chance to order a 2023 model, with NEW pricing, and any changes to those models, such as new colors. It's already known that the PRO Model is sold out, again, for 2023. If like before, the XLT will be sold out quickly, too... so it's possible that ONLY the Lariat and Platinum models will be anything that a NEW customer can place a 2023 order for, unless they want to DEFER to 2024.
Regardless, They will NOT receive '22 pricing, period. It's a NEW year model, with NEW pricing. ( and new Tax Credit laws, unfortunately)
How do you 100% know for certain that 'reservation holders' will not be offered the "Ford F-150 Lightning Customer Satisfaction Private Offer"? Do you work for Ford, do you have insider information? I'm not expecting it to be offered, but I will say, the only way I will be purchasing one is if it is offered, otherwise, I'll wait until they get a model that can go 500-600 miles on a charge.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
yes, yes I do. Ford states it right there on their website for any reservation holder. Ford never said 'any' reservation holder would receive 2022 pricing, period. Any 'private offer' is simply a discount for those 2022 ORDERS that deferred their order until now. It will NOT extend to ANYONE else, there would be no reason for Ford to do that. It's a new year, it's a new year model, it's new pricing, period. Having a 'reservation' back from 2021 does NOTHING to preserve any price for anyone, it was just a placeholder to let Ford know that you wanted to order one, IF they were able to extend you that offer at some point in the future. Many folks will never see an order invite, they won't be able to wait long enough.

I get that people are aggravated, and 'want' to think that something magical will happen, but reality sets in at some point. Ford can NOT produce enough of these, no matter how bad we want them to.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia

This link states specifically that FORD does not control the final price, the Dealer does, and MSRP is simply a guide. Ford has allowed a few who deferred to effectively receive that same 2022 pricing, thru a private offer, but in the end, the dealer actually controls the pricing, and they can actually chose NOT to provide the private offer, crazy as it sounds.

I'm sure that few folks actually read any fine print like this before they reserve, or order, but it is, in effect, an open contract that gives Ford a LOT of leeway in how they handle reservations, orders, and delivery. Ford is basically saying that anything to do with the process is basically between you and your dealer, Ford just builds the truck, and sets a 'base' pricing. They've always done this, but we just think it's different because WE went online and reserved, or ordered, ourselves, thru Ford's own website.

I'm still waiting on my dealer to mail me my refund check for my reservation and order deposit that they 'forgot' that I had paid to them when I originally placed my reservation back in May 2021, and the ORDER in January. Funny how they so easily don't remember things.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Ford didn't raise their prices on a whim. Beyond the increased cost of goods manufactured from inflation that must be considered, experienced by every business in every industry, due to [insert your own reason here], Ford knows its production capacity. It can estimate the demand at any price point, as well. Matching the production capacity to the demand, by adjusting price is likely what Ford is doing. Will Ford lose Lightning customers (or even Ford customers)? Sure, but they are betting that demand will still at least equal production capacity. And, they are likely betting that there will be spillover from the Lightning interest to their next (smaller) EV truck. So, no, I don't think Ford will give private offers to all reservation holders.

Ford also has its own intelligence and likely knew of the MSRP caps in the new Inflation Act even before its decision to increase prices. In fact, the knowledge of the MSRP caps may have played a role in determining the price increase. It may have been a tradeoff between the industry and the politicians - eliminate the 200,000 volume ceiling (an industry want) but introduce MSRP and income caps (a politician want). The contents of the Inflation Act didn't surprise industry.

Buying an EV should not be an economic decision because the math just doesn't work. It may, some day, but not today.
I don't understand that statement anytime i buy anything that cost this much i have to know if i can afford it. so that is so much an economic decision.

Ssob

Dec 17, 2021
Sterling
I don't understand that statement anytime i buy anything that cost this much i have to know if i can afford it. so that is so much an economic decision

I don't understand that statement anytime i buy anything that cost this much i have to know if i can afford it. so that is so much an economic decision.
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it was an economic decision. It just means it was a decision, part of which considered whether you can afford it. But to say it is the best economic alternative to other options is where the math doesn't add up.

To make the buy decision the benefits of Lightning ownership (the collective value) , one of which is not the economics, must outweigh the cost of ownership over the alternatives. The benefits may be the power features it has, maybe the thrill of being first to the technology or maybe the belief that EVs will solve what ails this world - or maybe all of the above. All I am saying is that one shouldn't make the buy decision because it represents the best economics... because it doesn't.

Absolutely, one should first make sure they can afford it. But should not believe that buying one is going to save money over a similarly equipped ICE vehicle.

I am one who can afford it, even at its new price and without the EV credit. But, for me, the economic cost of ownership now exceeds the overall benefit the Lightning has to offer. The $16,000 increase in cost to me (price increase + loss of EV credit) was just too much. Both MY22 and MY23 costs are bad economic decisions, when compared to the alternatives; although, I was willing to accept the bad economics for MY22 because the benefits exceeded the economic loss. However, the costs between the two years changed by $16k but the benefits offered between the two years did not improve to compensate for the large increase in cost. For me, that changes my buy decision to a won't buy decision.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it was an economic decision. It just means it was a decision, part of which considered whether you can afford it. But to say it is the best economic alternative to other options is where the math doesn't add up.

To make the buy decision the benefits of Lightning ownership (the collective value) , one of which is not the economics, must outweigh the cost of ownership over the alternatives. The benefits may be the power features it has, maybe the thrill of being first to the technology or maybe the belief that EVs will solve what ails this world - or maybe all of the above. All I am saying is that one shouldn't make the buy decision because it represents the best economics... because it doesn't.

Absolutely, one should first make sure they can afford it. But should not believe that buying one is going to save money over a similarly equipped ICE vehicle.

I am one who can afford it, even at its new price and without the EV credit. But, for me, the economic cost of ownership now exceeds the overall benefit the Lightning has to offer. The $16,000 increase in cost to me (price increase + loss of EV credit) was just too much. Both MY22 and MY23 costs are bad economic decisions, when compared to the alternatives; although, I was willing to accept the bad economics for MY22 because the benefits exceeded the economic loss. However, the costs between the two years changed by $16k but the benefits offered between the two years did not improve to compensate for the large increase in cost. For me, that changes my buy decision to a won't buy decision.
Thank you that made sense.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I don't think its a good idea to buy a Lightning and fip it. I have a dealer that has to with around 700miles on them the started out asking $140,000 for the two Lariats LR and after 2 months they are down to $101,000

ColoradoFordGuy

Aug 31, 2022
Colorado
In my opinion, Ford just failed and then charged us for their failures. This is not a way to win consumer loyalty. It is just a screw you kind of behavior. There is no compensation to us and not even a personal note to us. I wish a bunch of us would just cancel our reservations to let them know this is not acceptable behavior, but of course that means no F-150 lightning if they ever are able to ramp production up. Rivian tried this, and when large numbers of reservation holders canceled, Rivian changed their mind.

I have received no personal communication from Ford about my reservation. They offered nothing to me, not even an explanation.

Consider that Tesla honors the price paid at the time of reservation. Even with most dealers, when you place an order, the price is locked in. This should also be the case for reservations! This is a standard for most orders/reservations of consumer products. How many of us would actually have put in a reservation if Ford had told us at that time that they they reserved the right to raise the price by $7,000 and charge that to us?

It is not our fault that Ford failed to be able to ramp up production at a high enough rate to allow the 200,000 reservations to be filled with a 2022 model year. It is their fault. It seems likely to me that Ford may not even be able to ramp up enough to allow most of us in the 200,000 reservations to get a 2023 model year. So, are they going to screw us again after another failure by raising the price again, without so much as a note to us?

I just came back from test driving an F-150 lightning at a local event--it certainly is a compelling vehicle in appearance and behavior. Hard to tell from a test drive about all the details, but this is certainly a vehicle worth considering except for the Ford screw you approach to reservations.

Here is what I was told at this event--the Ford Marketing guy promoting the F150 Lightning at the event said directly to me that if I was in the 200,000 reservation holders, I would receive my F150 Lightning by the middle of 2023. But, when I got in the truck with the Ford sales person, he told me that I would not receive the truck until 2025/2026. This person also said he wished that Ford would not advertise this truck, because they already have >100 reservations at their dealership and yet were only able to submit 2 actual orders for 2022 trucks. Think this will improve with the 2023 year--don't hold your breath.

Sorry Ford, you may have a winning truck, but your approach to consumers sucks!

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
In my opinion, Ford just failed and then charged us for their failures. This is not a way to win consumer loyalty. It is just a screw you kind of behavior. There is no compensation to us and not even a personal note to us. I wish a bunch of us would just cancel our reservations to let them know this is not acceptable behavior, but of course that means no F-150 lightning if they ever are able to ramp production up. Rivian tried this, and when large numbers of reservation holders canceled, Rivian changed their mind.

I have received no personal communication from Ford about my reservation. They offered nothing to me, not even an explanation.

Consider that Tesla honors the price paid at the time of reservation. Even with most dealers, when you place an order, the price is locked in. This should also be the case for reservations! This is a standard for most orders/reservations of consumer products. How many of us would actually have put in a reservation if Ford had told us at that time that they they reserved the right to raise the price by $7,000 and charge that to us?

It is not our fault that Ford failed to be able to ramp up production at a high enough rate to allow the 200,000 reservations to be filled with a 2022 model year. It is their fault. It seems likely to me that Ford may not even be able to ramp up enough to allow most of us in the 200,000 reservations to get a 2023 model year. So, are they going to screw us again after another failure by raising the price again, without so much as a note to us?

I just came back from test driving an F-150 lightning at a local event--it certainly is a compelling vehicle in appearance and behavior. Hard to tell from a test drive about all the details, but this is certainly a vehicle worth considering except for the Ford screw you approach to reservations.

Here is what I was told at this event--the Ford Marketing guy promoting the F150 Lightning at the event said directly to me that if I was in the 200,000 reservation holders, I would receive my F150 Lightning by the middle of 2023. But, when I got in the truck with the Ford sales person, he told me that I would not receive the truck until 2025/2026. This person also said he wished that Ford would not advertise this truck, because they already have >100 reservations at their dealership and yet were only able to submit 2 actual orders for 2022 trucks. Think this will improve with the 2023 year--don't hold your breath.

Sorry Ford, you may have a winning truck, but your approach to consumers sucks!
It sounds like you are no longer a ColoradoFord Guy. Are you dropping your reservation

SPG911

Aug 27, 2022
Michigan
You are probably correct; but this article says "launched to protect 2022 reservation and order holders against 2023 price increases" I've emphasized 'reservation'. I'm hopeful that it will apply, maybe to early reservation holders. https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/f...otects-order-holders-against-price-increases/
It’s annoying that people are saying 2022 reservation holders will have to pay the increased price when they have no factual info. Don’t comment if you don’t have facts.

trav19gt

Sep 26, 2021
Castle Rock, CO
It’s annoying that people are saying 2022 reservation holders will have to pay the increased price when they have no factual info. Don’t comment if you don’t have facts.
Well I know for sure that reservation holders will not be able to participate in the private offer. I checked with my dealer.

scottdraco

Nov 16, 2021
Ames, Iowa
I have cancelled my reservation. As a retired 80 year old, I can't afford the price increase. I'll stick with my 2016 Silverado. Good luck to the rest of you.

jimfigler

Sep 28, 2022
Buffalo, NY
All you have to do is call Ford customer service and ask them if you have a private offer. I confirmed with 3 different reps that I have a private offer. But I also extended my reservation back in April when I was invited to order as the Pro was not available.