Setting up your garage for the Charge Station Pro

kericks1991

Oct 31, 2021
Washington State
You can buy the charge station pro to use with you Lightning Pro, however, only extended range versions of the Lightning come with dual onboard chargers and you will not be able to charge at the 80 amp rate.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Thank you both. I was in hope of using my generac transfer switch. I'll research this some more
I would have to know more. Do you have a home generac generator and you want to use either one. You know that you have to have an inverter too.

Blue Dolphin

Apr 29, 2022
Ohio
Yes I have a generac generator,was in hopes of being able to switch between the generator and the F-150 lariat with ER battery.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
If I am sort of "reading the tea leaves", it seems the Sunrun system will take the DC voltage/energy direct from the Lightnings' battery to the Sunrun solar inverter - which can then be used to create the AC split phase voltage/energy to it's own transfer switch to provide backup power to a home. However, the "charge station" - sort of a super charge controller, may be able to pass the AC back and forth from the dual (or possibly the single also?) chargers in the vehicle. This would seem to allow for an AC transfer switch that could use either the Lightning bidirectional charger(s) or switch to a home generator for backup power - but is complicated by the charge/discharge mode. The whole home generators does already have a transfer switch to disconnect the grid.

The power outlet in the Lightning itself might be a better source of energy as a backup to the generator backup? As always, the main safety issue is the grid disconnect - both for safety of linemen and to not destroy your generator or inverter:unsure:.

If anyone has the proposed wiring schemas for what appears to be some realistic options, please post.

Another post has this video with good information:
https://www.ford-lightning.com/thre...hing-you-need-to-know-directly-from-ford.412/

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Appears "bidirectional" is AC charging is up to ~20 kW and DC discharging up to ~10kW (via the Sunrun system). Can the Sunrun system charge the vehicle via the DC connection? Have not seen that answer.
Ryan O'Gorman may have that answer - He seems to know all details for sure.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
Yes I have a generac generator,was in hopes of being able to switch between the generator and the F-150 lariat with ER b

Appears "bidirectional" is AC charging is up to ~20 kW and DC discharging up to ~10kW (via the Sunrun system). Can the Sunrun system charge the vehicle via the DC connection? Have not seen that answer.
Ryan O'Gorman may have that answer - He seems to know all details for sure.
I don't think so because the truck has 1 or 2 ac to DC chargers built into the truck. Well the 20KW is 3 phase so I don't think so. It uses the bottom two pins for charging 3 phase and it uses those same two pins for bidirectional feeding the house during blackouts

Last edited:

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Sure like to see the Sunrun wiring schematic for their Charge station to solar inverter installation. This video seems to indicate that the AC from the charge station goes to the OBC system and another separate DC wire goes to the Sunrun system:

The discussion is around 13:40 minutes into the video. So "bidirectional" energy appears to be AC in and DC out! An important distinction as first thought would be a bidirectional AC OBC (sort of like some thought Tesla had designed and Lucid claims to have). However, It does appear Ford has put some real, pragmatic thought into this home "microgrid" system and (IMO) will be a real boon to the "energy transition" especially if the Sunrun solar system can recharge the Lightnings battery.

MarkC

May 28, 2022
Houston, Texas
Just a reminder to all that are interested in the home energy "backup" system - please do post anything related to Sunrun's actual installations - Thanks