They don’t want me to have it obviously

Spanky1223

Mar 26, 2022
Nj
I withdrew my reservation a couple months ago for the Lightning. Right around the time when I realized that it would cost me around $74,000 for what I wanted. I have a great job. I bet we’ll over 6 figures. I am truly fortunate. I also have 2 daughters, 1 in college, and my wife stays home to take care of my 2 year old. Also a mortgage, so there’s not a ton left after all that. I am a regular blue collar guy. I need to tow a camping trailer that is around 6000 lbs. so I need the larger battery to go anywhere with that in tow. Which originally I saw would be an additional $10,000….which was tough to swallow, but with all the incentives and selling my truck, I figured I might be able to do it. Then I saw that the package I would need to add to get the larger battery ON THE NO FRILLS XLT trim level I would have gotten, would be around $19,500 additionally now. That’s well over $74,000, FOR THE XLT! Again, I am a blue collar guy just looking for a better, newer, truck. But clearly Ford doesn’t want people like me in this truck. Apparently only folks with far more money than me can have this truck. So I’ll stick with gas trucks until normal guys like me can get in this market. Thanks Ford.

Grumpy

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
I am upset that the $40k Pro was just a come-on, and that they really were only making $70k+ vehicles, however, I can understand why it was done. I imagine, if all costs were included, they are loosing money on each one sold even at $100k. It is a great step forward to have Ford begin making a USA made electric truck, and I believe they will get it done eventually so most of us can afford one. We all need to be driving electric vehicles as soon as possible.

I read about technical improvements coming like a solid state battery, that will give greater range, faster charging, and possibly be cheaper. I have also studied the improvements Tesla made over several years to the great cars they sell today and make a profit too.

In the end I can justify paying more for an electric truck when considering the lower cost of fuel and reducing my carbon footprint. I will pay $20k premium for a new electric pickup (or full size SUV), but only for a proven product that I know won't be a headache or fire hazard; and will last like my current F-150 with 250k miles.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I am upset that the $40k Pro was just a come-on, and that they really were only making $70k+ vehicles, however, I can understand why it was done. I imagine, if all costs were included, they are loosing money on each one sold even at $100k. It is a great step forward to have Ford begin making a USA made electric truck, and I believe they will get it done eventually so most of us can afford one. We all need to be driving electric vehicles as soon as possible.

I read about technical improvements coming like a solid state battery, that will give greater range, faster charging, and possibly be cheaper. I have also studied the improvements Tesla made over several years to the great cars they sell today and make a profit too.

In the end I can justify paying more for an electric truck when considering the lower cost of fuel and reducing my carbon footprint. I will pay $20k premium for a new electric pickup (or full size SUV), but only for a proven product that I know won't be a headache or fire hazard; and will last like my current F-150 with 250k miles.
So are you saying you are not going to buy at this time and let your reservation go back

OP
S

Spanky1223

Mar 26, 2022
Nj

I agree with all of what you said in your response, and I appreciate it. I know it’s not easy or inexpensive to make this truck. Especially now with all that’s going on. And my best friend has owned a testla for about 2 years and loves it. And I also agree that I would pay more for the same reasons you sighted, but I’ll say the same thing I said to him….it still all boils down to me paying over $70,000 for a vehicle, financing that price and having that payment. And that is just not in the budget for people like me. Especially for a generation 1 vehicle that will not even have the same capabilities as the gas version. I know it seems close to being to that point, but it’s just not yet.

OP
S

Spanky1223

Mar 26, 2022
Nj
So are you saying you are not going to buy at this time and let your reservation go back
Yes, I withdrew my reservation and am building a new gas version F150. Which seems as tough to get as the electric version lol

FORD-TUFF!

Sep 20, 2021
East NC USA
Honestly im in the same boat. The Pro is the only one i feel like i can afford, and that is IF i can get the incentives. I'm just a per hour machinist and make around 80k a year before overtime. My interest in the EV is purely practical....with the incentives, the Lighting Pro will be THE cheapest 4wd pickup sold in the U.S. I need a new 4wd pickup, but im 8th on my dealer list with no order date in sight. Im a longtime Ford driver but Im actually thinking of just going with a 2022 Nissan Frontier....naturally aspirated V6, no start/stop or cylinder deactivation b.s.