Electric Chevrolet Silverado Teased with Rear-Wheel Steering

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX

Electrified version of the Chevy Silverado will bring a twist on how its rear wheels turn.

General Motors has teased a video of the upcoming electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck (ute) that will launch in 2022.

Key to its teaser is rear-wheel steer, which moves the rear axle slightly to help stabilisation when towing/hauling and reducing the turning circle at low speeds. The sibling Hummer EV, produced on the same new platform, has its own similar party trick called crab mode, which allows the revived brand’s EV to move diagonally.

The teaser also informs us that the new Silverado will have huge 24-inch wheels, though there might be both a more utilitarian version and an upmarket model.

A competitor to both the Silverado EV and Hummer EV utes will be the Rivian R1t, itself capable of ‘tank turns’. The ability for all utes to make such unique turns and movements comes from the adaption of high, instant torque motors on each wheel and technology such as rear-wheel steer. Such maneuvers will likely be pretty harsh on the tyres, however.

The video GM’s bow tie brand shared of the Silverado shows four-wheel steering in action and the shorter turning circle.

The Silverado EV will likely be bigger than the Hummer, though Hummer will produce two electric utes, the second arriving around 2024. Both of the utes should offer 600km+ driving range and high output twin electric motors for towing and off-road crawling.

The world of utilitarian EVs is relatively untested, so the first round of competitors from the likes of Rivian’s R1t, Ford’s Lightning, Hummer’s pair, RAM’s EV and this Silverado will move into uncharted territory.

Source

4gfirstmax

Jul 24, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Not to turn my nose up at advancement, and lean on cliché’s… More parts, more problems, and, if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

Early ‘00 Sierras had this option. I don’t see many of them still on the road (slightly flaired rear fenders). Leading me to believe that the public found it to be a gimmick, or it didn’t work well.

Most of us know that longer wheelbases have a tighter turning radius in reverse. So, if experience tells us we won’t make it, we drive past, and “back that thang up”.

To be fair, I am a Ford fan. That said, I actually considered a new ICE Silverado. I actually placed a deposit moments after looking into one. I found that the two speed xfer case was only available with certain engine choices. This reinforced my sense of dissatisfaction with the brand.

While the Lightning only has one speed, the available torque is similar to the Dino offerings in low range.

I am left with the Lightning offering the best of both worlds (IMHO). Strong torque coupled with a low center of gravity plus a well established dealer network = perfection.

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I am on vacation and can't look at this site as much as i want but I agree with 4gfirstmax and if that back steering ever come lose at speeds over 30 m/h It would be deadly. I rented a car and the bolt was out of the front of the back leaf spring. I would get up to 30 m/h and it would speen the car around then shot me across the road and into the next lane. Chevy has never had a good turning radius Ford know how to tilt the wheel like a cultivator. I have always been a Ford man to but every friend I have with a Chevy has proved me right.